Is This Week's POTW Centered on an Anti-Holomorphic Function?

• MHB
  • Thread starter Euge
  • Start date
  • Tags
In summary, a POTW (Problem of the Week) is a challenging problem or puzzle presented in scientific and mathematical communities. An anti-holomorphic complex function is a function that maps complex numbers to their conjugates, with various applications in mathematics, physics, and engineering. This week's POTW may focus on this topic due to its complexity and relevance in these fields. To solve it, a strong understanding of complex analysis and seeking help from others in the scientific community may be helpful.
Euge
Gold Member
MHB
POTW Director
Here is this week's POTW:

-----
Show that the complex function

$$F(z) = \frac{1}{\pi}\int_0^1 \int_{-\pi}^\pi \frac{r}{re^{i\theta} + z}\, d\theta\, dr$$

is anti-holomorhpic (i.e., the conjugate $\bar{F}$ is holomorphic) in the open unit disc, $\Bbb D$, and holomoprhic in complement $\Bbb C \setminus \bar{\Bbb D}$ of the closed unit disc.
-----

Remember to read the http://www.mathhelpboards.com/showthread.php?772-Problem-of-the-Week-%28POTW%29-Procedure-and-Guidelines to find out how to http://www.mathhelpboards.com/forms.php?do=form&fid=2!

Physics news on Phys.org
No one answered this week's problem. You can read my solution below.
If $z = 0$, then by $F(z) = \frac{1}{\pi} \int_0^1 \int_{-\pi}^\pi e^{-i\theta}\, d\theta\, dr = 0$. For $0 < r < 1$ and $z\in \Bbb C\setminus \{0\}$,

$$\int_{-\pi}^\pi \frac{r}{re^{i\theta} + z}\, d\theta = \oint_{\lvert w\rvert = r} \frac{r}{w + z}\frac{dw}{iw} = \frac{r}{iz}\oint_{\lvert w\rvert = r} \left(\frac{1}{w} - \frac{1}{w + z}\right)\, dw = \frac{r}{iz}\cdot 2\pi i(1 - \delta_{\lvert z\rvert < r}) = \frac{2\pi r}{z}(1 - \delta_{\lvert z\rvert < r}), $$

where $\delta_{\lvert z\rvert < r}$ equals $1$ when $\lvert z\rvert < r$ and $0$ if $\lvert z\rvert > r$. Thus

$$F(z) = \frac{1}{\pi} \int_0^1 \frac{2\pi r}{z}(1 - \delta_{\lvert z \rvert < r})\, dr = \frac{1}{z} \int_0^1 2r(1 - \delta_{\lvert z \rvert < r})\, dr$$

If $0 < \lvert z \rvert < 1$, then

$$F(z) = \frac{1}{z}\int_0^{\lvert z\rvert} 2r(1 - \delta_{\lvert z\rvert < r})\, dr + \frac{1}{z}\int_{\lvert z\rvert}^1 2r(1 - \delta_{\lvert z\rvert < r})\, dr = \frac{1}{z}\int_0^{\lvert z\rvert} 2r\, dr + \frac{1}{z}\int_{\lvert z\rvert}^1 2r(0)\, dr = \frac{\lvert z\rvert^2}{z} = \bar{z}$$

If $\lvert z \rvert > 1$, then

$$F(z) = \frac{1}{z}\int_0^1 2r\, dr = \frac{1}{z}$$

In summary,

$$F(z) = \begin{cases} \bar{z}, & z\in \Bbb D\\\frac{1}{z}, & z\in \Bbb C\setminus \bar{\Bbb D}\end{cases}$$

In particular, $F(z)$ is holomorphic in $\Bbb C \setminus \bar{\Bbb D}$. Since the conjugate of $F(z)$ is $z$ in $\Bbb D$, $F$ is antiholomorphic in $\Bbb D$.

Related to Is This Week's POTW Centered on an Anti-Holomorphic Function?

1. What is a POTW?

A POTW (Problem of the Week) is a common feature in many scientific and mathematical communities where a challenging problem or puzzle is presented for others to solve.

2. What is an anti-holomorphic complex function?

An anti-holomorphic complex function is a function that is the complex conjugate of a holomorphic function. This means that it is a function that maps complex numbers to their conjugates, preserving the real part and changing the sign of the imaginary part.

3. Why is this week's POTW about an anti-holomorphic complex function?

This week's POTW may be about an anti-holomorphic complex function because it is a challenging and interesting topic in mathematics and physics. It also requires a strong understanding of complex analysis and its applications.

4. What are some potential applications of anti-holomorphic complex functions?

Anti-holomorphic complex functions have various applications in mathematics, physics, and engineering. They can be used to study conformal mappings, fluid dynamics, and quantum mechanics, among others.

5. How can I approach solving a POTW about an anti-holomorphic complex function?

To solve a POTW about an anti-holomorphic complex function, it is important to have a strong understanding of complex analysis and its principles. It may also be helpful to break down the problem into smaller, more manageable parts and to seek help or guidance from others in the scientific community.