Is time an illusion? Is it real to everyone? Please help

• Thread starter Teendreams
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Time
In summary, time is not an illusion and our perception of it can vary, but we use clocks and timing devices to accurately measure it.
Teendreams
First of all, hi there :)

Im sebastian and I really got a big doubt involving time. I recently turned 15 and many questions have popped into my head as I develop through teenage years, but there is this question that I have stuck in my head since I started studying astronomy/physics at 11 yrs old. The question is, Is time an illusion? I mean, me and my cousin did a small but fun experiment, it was obvious but we still wanted to test it out to see how things "really" went. The experiment was to test time when sleeping. I went to bed at 12:00 AM and woke up at 6:00 AM while my cousin stood up all long 6 hours. Except the time I spent to go to sleep (for ex: 15 mins) I felt my time go way faster, somehow like a time warp, I felt the 6 hours like if it was a zapping second. My cousin somehow managed to stay awake and during the long night. For me time was faster as I converted 6 hours into a second or wait... Was it an illusion? THAT is my point. Time felt faster for me but for him it felt just like Earth's gravity placed it since the beggining. Does that mean that you can travel through time during sleep ( I know it sounds dumb ) or that time is an illusion?

Thanks for reading! :)

Physics news on Phys.org
No, time is not an illusion. Our perception of time can change depending on the circumstances, but that's why we've invented clocks and timing devices. We ourselves are very poor at making accurate measurements, so we've had to create things which are very good at making accurate measurements.

Related to Is time an illusion? Is it real to everyone? Please help

1. Is time an illusion?

There is no clear consensus among scientists about whether time is an illusion or not. Some theories in physics suggest that time is a fundamental aspect of the universe, while others propose that it may be a human construct or an emergent property of other fundamental forces. Ultimately, the answer to this question may depend on one's philosophical beliefs and interpretations of scientific theories.

2. How do we experience time?

Our perception of time is influenced by a variety of factors, including our biological clocks, cultural and societal norms, and the processing abilities of our brains. We experience time as a linear progression of past, present, and future, but this may not necessarily reflect the true nature of time.

3. Is time real to everyone?

The experience of time may vary among individuals, but it is generally considered a fundamental aspect of our reality. While some people may perceive time differently due to factors such as age or neurological conditions, the concept of time is universally understood and used to measure and organize our lives.

4. How does the theory of relativity impact our understanding of time?

Albert Einstein's theory of relativity revolutionized our understanding of time by demonstrating that it is not absolute and can be influenced by factors such as gravity and velocity. This theory has been confirmed through numerous experiments and has greatly influenced our understanding of the universe.

5. Can time travel be possible?

The question of whether time travel is possible is still a topic of debate among scientists. While some theories, such as the theory of relativity, suggest that time travel may be possible under certain conditions, the technology and means to achieve it are not yet available. Additionally, the concept of time travel raises philosophical and ethical questions that may never be fully resolved.