Is Time an Illusion or a Fragment of Consciousness?

In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of time and consciousness and whether we are actively creating our experiences or passively experiencing them. The participants also consider the idea of the universe being composed entirely of mind.
Rothiemurchus
Do we experience the passage of time or the advance of consciousness -
are we passively experiencing the universe or actively creating it?

Physics news on Phys.org
I'm not the brightest there is but isn't the passage of time and the advance of consciousness basically really the same thing? What would be passing through the consciousness but external nature as we perceive it? Second question I think it's a little of both. I can stop at the stop sign or fly through it and cause an accident. Either way. I don't think you can be passive and active at once though, it is always either or. Either the event took place and did happen, actively or passively, or it didn't happen at all.

Rothiemurchus said:

How about we are passively being created by the universe and in time? :smile:

Rothiemurchus said:
second question first.

the entire universe exists, we create our experience by focusing our consciousness onto a moment of time.

as we focus, refocus, we create the appearance of time. IMHO.

love&peace,
olde drunk

Rothiemurchus said:

You asked some very good questions. I believe that time is an illusion created by the introduction of measurement and the fragmentation of consciousness caused by the ego. As to whether there is an "inner world and outer world" I don't know for sure but it is my guess that the universe is composed entirely of mind.

FAQ: Is Time an Illusion or a Fragment of Consciousness?

1. What is the relationship between time and consciousness?

The concept of time is closely intertwined with consciousness. Time is the measure of events and the duration between them, and our awareness of these events is what gives us a sense of time passing. In other words, consciousness is what allows us to perceive and experience the passing of time.

2. Can time be perceived differently by different individuals?

Yes, time perception can vary from person to person. Factors such as age, cultural background, and overall cognitive abilities can affect how individuals perceive time. Additionally, certain neurological conditions, such as schizophrenia, can also alter one's perception of time.

3. Is time a subjective or objective concept?

There is ongoing debate among scientists and philosophers about the subjective or objective nature of time. Some argue that time is purely a human construct and therefore subjective, while others believe that it is an objective phenomenon that exists independently of our consciousness.

4. How does our perception of time change in altered states of consciousness?

Studies have shown that our perception of time can be altered in various states of consciousness, such as during meditation, hypnosis, or under the influence of certain drugs. In these altered states, time can feel either slowed down or sped up, and our sense of time passing may become distorted.

5. Is there a scientific explanation for the experience of time slowing down in intense situations?

Yes, there is a scientific explanation for this phenomenon, known as time dilation. It is a result of our brain processing information at a faster rate in high-stress situations, which creates the illusion of time slowing down. This is because our perception of time is linked to the amount of information processed by the brain.