Is to 2nd order always related to Taylor series?

In summary, "to 2nd order" means an approximation consisting of the initial terms of the Taylor series up to and including the second derivative term. However, in some contexts, it can also refer to the second order term in a differential equation, such as in the case of causing an oscillation. This can be reduced to a 2nd order algebraic equation through Laplace Transformation.
Rasalhague
What does "to 2nd order" mean?

In the limit as the number n of sides of the polygon increases and the angle a approaches zero, the value of [itex]\cos \alpha[/itex] approaches 1 (to the second order), and the value of [itex]\sin \alpha[/itex] approaches [itex]\alpha[/itex].

http://www.mathpages.com/rr/s2-11/2-11.htm

I thought "to second order" meant an approximation consisting of the initial terms of the Taylor series up to and including the second derivative term. For example, it seems to be used that way in the Wikipedia article Taylor series, in the section "Taylor series in several variables" [ http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Taylor_series ]. Is the quote above using an unusual definition of second order, or have I misunderstood something here?

Physics news on Phys.org

edit: ok, sorry, bad suggestion

Last edited:

I would consider it a typo. Second order includes the second order term whenever I have heard it used.

Thanks.

In other contexts, 2nd order means "it can oscillate and therefore go unstable".

You need 2 storage elements to cause an oscillation and the differential equation that describes it
reduces to a 2nd order algebraic equation [quadratic] via Laplace Transformation.

JFYI

FAQ: Is to 2nd order always related to Taylor series?

What does "to 2nd order" mean?

"To 2nd order" refers to the second derivative or the rate of change of the rate of change of a function. It is also known as the second-order derivative.

What is the difference between 1st and 2nd order?

The first-order derivative is the rate of change of a function, while the second-order derivative is the rate of change of the rate of change. In other words, the second-order derivative measures how fast the first-order derivative is changing.

Why is 2nd order important?

The second-order derivative is important because it can help us understand the curvature and concavity of a function. It is also used in physics and engineering to determine acceleration and other important quantities.

How is 2nd order calculated?

To calculate the second-order derivative of a function, you can either use the quotient rule or the chain rule. If the function is given in its equation form, you can also use the power rule to find the second-order derivative.

What are some real-life applications of 2nd order?

The second-order derivative has various real-life applications such as predicting the motion of objects in physics, determining the stability of a system, and finding the optimal solution in economics and finance. It is also used in engineering to design and analyze systems and structures.

Back