Is ULN2064B Safe for 24V Stepper Motors?

In summary, the conversation discusses using a ULN2064B to control 2 stepper motors and questions the safety of using it with 24V stepper motors needing 800mA. The output is inverted, so a logic 0 is applied to turn a coil from a motor on. The conversation also mentions needing a software to calculate the sun's position with specific entries. A list of links is provided to find a suitable calculator or software.
monahago
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hi All

I am using a ULN2064B to control 2 stepper motors, and the input to the IC is directly from an I/O port on an 8051 microcontroller.
The stepper motors are 24V, and "apparently" need 800mA each to operate. Does this sound correct? And is this safe with the ULN2064B?

Basically, as I am aware the output is inverted, so to turn a coil from a motor on I apply a logic 0 to the corresponding input pin on the 2064B

Any help would be great.
Cheers guys

Engineering news on Phys.org
iam really sorry please forgive me all

monahago said:
iam really sorry please forgive me all

No worries, you were just a little confused about where/how to post.

Could you supply a pointer to the datasheet for your IC? What are its voltage and current ratings? Does it show an application circuit diagram for driving a stepper motor?

i need asoftware(windows XP) to calculate the sun position ,the enteries should include the longitude to tenth of a second , time to the second and altitude.The utility is to produce the azimuth and elevation to the center of the sun to an accuracy of 0.1 degrees and better if pssible,the simpler the better.
thank you for your time

Thank you berkeman

monahago said:
i need asoftware(windows XP) to calculate the sun position ,the enteries should include the longitude to tenth of a second , time to the second and altitude.The utility is to produce the azimuth and elevation to the center of the sun to an accuracy of 0.1 degrees and better if pssible,the simpler the better.
thank you for your time

I googled sun azimuth elevation calculator, and got lots of hits. Here's the hit list:

http://www.google.com/search?source...US301US302&q=sun+azimuth+elevation+calculator

You could also change the word calculator to software in the google search, to get more general links.

Related to Is ULN2064B Safe for 24V Stepper Motors?

What is a stepper motor?

A stepper motor is an electric motor that moves in small, precise steps rather than continuously rotating. It is controlled by sending electrical pulses to the motor, which in turn rotates a specific number of degrees with each pulse.

How does stepper motor control work?

Stepper motor control involves sending electrical pulses to the motor in a specific sequence to make it rotate a certain number of steps. The speed and direction of rotation can be controlled by adjusting the frequency and number of pulses sent to the motor.

What are the advantages of using a stepper motor?

Stepper motors offer precise control over movement, making them ideal for applications that require accurate positioning. They also have a high torque-to-size ratio, meaning they can generate a lot of force for their size. Additionally, stepper motors are relatively simple to control and do not require complex feedback systems.

What are the different types of stepper motors?

There are three main types of stepper motors: permanent magnet, variable reluctance, and hybrid. Permanent magnet stepper motors have a magnetized rotor and are the most common type. Variable reluctance stepper motors have a toothed rotor and use electromagnets to control movement. Hybrid stepper motors combine aspects of both permanent magnet and variable reluctance motors.

What are some common applications of stepper motors?

Stepper motors are commonly used in applications that require precise positioning, such as 3D printers, CNC machines, and robotics. They are also used in consumer electronics, such as digital cameras and hard disk drives, for their compact size and accurate movement capabilities.