Is Using Schaum's Outlines for Graduate Study a Good Idea?

In summary, the person is feeling overwhelmed about the upcoming qualifying comprehensive exam for their grad school program in Physics. They are considering using Schaum outlines as a supplement to library books, but are unsure if they are appropriate for this level of exam. The conversation also mentions other resources such as the 2000 solved problems in electromagnetics and the qualifying exam questions series. Another suggestion is to look up qualifying exam problems and solutions from various schools for practice.
Beer-monster
Hi

I've recently been accepted to grad school in Physics, after some time away from the class room, and have been looking at the sort of questions I'll be asked for the qualifying comprehensive exam.

I'm starting to panic a little.

Obviously, I'm going to hit the books hard in a number of subjects. I was thinking of buying a number of Schaum outlines in various subjects (Mechanics, Langrangian mechanics, Thermodynamics, etc), since they're substantially less expensive than a lot of textbooks, and using them to supplement library books.

Is this a bad idea? Are Schaum's too low a level for this sort exam.

Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
For classical mechanics, get the schaum's outline of Lagrangian dynamics and the outline of Theoretical mechanics (if it's still in print), for E&M the Schaum's outline is OK but it's very much at the undergraduate level, you can also get the 2000 solved problems in electromagnetics that's decent too also undergraduate level. The QM book is great, and closer to graduate level than undergraduate. Otherwise, if you have a bit more money to spend, for CM and EM there's the qualifying exam questions series that was put out by a bunch of chinese authors, the editor is Yung-Kuo Lim. Here's a link to their classical mechanics book https://www.amazon.com/dp/9810212984/?tag=pfamazon01-20. They have books for CM, EM, QM, Thermo with some stat mech, and some others, but they're a bit pricey of course.

Other options could be to look up qualifying exam problems and their solutions from various schools (including your own) and work them out. A lot of schools make them available so their students can practice.

Last edited by a moderator:
Last edited by a moderator:

Related to Is Using Schaum's Outlines for Graduate Study a Good Idea?

1. What is Schaum's for graduate study?

Schaum's for graduate study is a series of study guides designed to help graduate students review and understand complex topics in various academic disciplines.

2. How is Schaum's for graduate study different from other study aids?

Schaum's for graduate study offers comprehensive coverage of graduate-level material, with clear explanations, helpful examples, and practice problems to reinforce understanding. It is also designed specifically for graduate students, rather than undergraduates.

3. Who can benefit from using Schaum's for graduate study?

Graduate students in any field can benefit from using Schaum's study guides, as they cover a wide range of topics in various disciplines such as math, science, engineering, and business. Even professionals looking to refresh their knowledge in a particular subject can find these guides useful.

4. Are the Schaum's for graduate study guides suitable for all levels of graduate study?

Yes, the Schaum's study guides cover material from basic to advanced levels, making them suitable for all levels of graduate study. The guides also include material that is relevant to both coursework and research projects.

5. How can I access Schaum's for graduate study materials?

Schaum's study guides can be purchased in bookstores or online. They are also available in digital formats, such as e-books and online resources. Some universities may also have copies of the guides available in their libraries.