Is VLC not recording in MP4 format?

• Thread starter member 428835
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses an issue with VLC's record button not working for .mp4 video files. The suggestion is to check the settings in Media -> Capture Device and ensure that the record button is not disabled for all .mp4 videos. The issue was resolved and the person thanked the other for their help.
member 428835
Hi PF!

Sorry if this is not in the correct spot! I have an mp4 video I view in VLC. There is a red record button at the bottom of the screen and when I press it the video creates a copy of itself until I press the record button again. This works very well for .ts video files. However, for .mp4 this function is not working. Any ideas as to how to get this working?

Thanks so much!

Computer science news on Phys.org
joshmccraney said:
Hi PF!

Sorry if this is not in the correct spot! I have an mp4 video I view in VLC. There is a red record button at the bottom of the screen and when I press it the video creates a copy of itself until I press the record button again. This works very well for .ts video files. However, for .mp4 this function is not working. Any ideas as to how to get this working?

Thanks so much!

Have the options in Media -> Capture Device been set up correctly? VLC captures the format of the video you are viewing, with no special encoding by default. If settings are ok, then is it the case that record button is disabled for every mp4 video you play?

Hi, and sorry for the late reply! I got it working; thanks for your help!

Related to Is VLC not recording in MP4 format?

1. What is the reason why VLC is not recording in MP4 format?

There could be several reasons for this issue. One possibility is that the selected output format in VLC is not MP4. Another reason could be that the recording settings are not properly configured.

2. How can I change the output format to MP4 in VLC?

To change the output format to MP4 in VLC, go to the "Media" tab and select "Convert/Save". In the "Profile" section, choose "Video - H.264 + MP3 (MP4)" from the drop-down menu. Click on the "Browse" button to select the destination folder and then click on "Start" to begin the recording process.

3. Can VLC record in other formats besides MP4?

Yes, VLC can record in a variety of formats such as AVI, MKV, and FLV. You can choose the desired output format by following the steps mentioned in the previous question.

4. Why is the recorded MP4 file not playing or corrupted?

This could be due to compatibility issues with the media player you are using. Try playing the recorded file in VLC itself or try using a different media player. If the file still does not play, it may have been corrupted during the recording process.

5. How can I fix the issue of VLC not recording in MP4 format?

First, make sure that the output format is set to MP4 and the recording settings are configured correctly. If the issue persists, try updating VLC to the latest version. You can also try using a different screen recording software or converting the recorded file to MP4 using a file conversion tool.