Is Who Wants to Be a Millionaire Flawed Like Gödel’s Incompleteness Theorem?

• Thread starter Hill
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Picture
Hill
Gold Member
What is wrong (if anything) with this picture?
image.png.f602373de3338b95fa76fe24296175a4.png

• Haha
Likes tuxscholar, russ_watters, Astronuc and 2 others
Physics news on Phys.org
Is that real?

1'st analysis.
You select a, b, c or d. There is a 25% chance you will guess the right letter.
The available % answers have nothing to do with it.

PeroK said:
Is that real?
Doesn't matter. It's funny :smile:

Baluncore said:
1'st analysis.
You select a, b, c or d. There is a 25% chance you will guess the right letter.
Are you going for answer A or D?

Baluncore said:
This is what I don't know. Do we choose a letter or an answer?

Baluncore said:
Which is why it's funny.

By the way, did you notice 25% is listed twice? Seems to me that makes it extra funny because that creates a paradox.

The paradox comes in the 2'nd analysis.
You enter an oscillating solution that could be A, D or C.
Since A or D could be correct, that sometimes makes the correct answer C.
So the answer must then be 25%. A or D.

This is a question that contains within it a logical contradiction, so not only are A, B, C and D all impossible, but "none of the above" is also impossible (because that would imply that B was correct, a contradiction).

I suppose it's a bit like asking if "This statement is false" is true or false.

Likes Baluncore and berkeman
“The only interesting answers are those which destroy the question”. —Susan Sontag

Likes Math100
As usual. the key is to read the problem carefully. If I were to guess at random, my probability would be zero. I'm just unlucky.

PeroK said:
Is that real?
Does nobody like 50%? Two chances of 25%? I am assuming this is a bit of a trick question.

Likes russ_watters
It reminds of Godel Incompleteness.

Likes pinball1970

FAQ: Is Who Wants to Be a Millionaire Flawed Like Gödel’s Incompleteness Theorem?

What is Gödel’s Incompleteness Theorem?

Gödel’s Incompleteness Theorem is a fundamental theorem in mathematical logic that demonstrates the inherent limitations of every formal axiomatic system capable of modeling basic arithmetic. It states that in any such system, there are propositions that cannot be proven or disproven within the system, indicating that the system is incomplete.

How is "Who Wants to Be a Millionaire" structured?

"Who Wants to Be a Millionaire" is a quiz show where contestants answer a series of multiple-choice questions with increasing difficulty. Each correct answer moves the contestant closer to winning the top prize of one million dollars. The game includes lifelines to assist contestants, such as "Phone a Friend" and "Ask the Audience."

Can "Who Wants to Be a Millionaire" be considered flawed like Gödel’s Incompleteness Theorem?

While "Who Wants to Be a Millionaire" and Gödel’s Incompleteness Theorem both involve elements of decision-making and knowledge, the show is not inherently flawed in the same way as the theorem suggests about formal systems. The quiz show is designed for entertainment and operates within a finite set of rules and questions, whereas Gödel’s theorem addresses the limitations of formal mathematical systems in capturing all truths.

What similarities exist between "Who Wants to Be a Millionaire" and Gödel’s Incompleteness Theorem?

One similarity is the concept of uncertainty and limits of knowledge. In "Who Wants to Be a Millionaire," contestants may face questions they cannot answer, reflecting the idea that not all questions can be resolved with the given information. Similarly, Gödel’s Incompleteness Theorem shows that not all mathematical truths can be proven within a formal system.

Are there any practical implications of Gödel’s Incompleteness Theorem for game shows like "Who Wants to Be a Millionaire"?

Gödel’s Incompleteness Theorem primarily impacts the field of mathematical logic and the philosophy of mathematics, rather than practical applications in game shows. However, the theorem can metaphorically illustrate the idea that no system, including game shows, can be entirely free from limitations or uncertainties. In practice, game shows rely on well-defined rules and finite sets of questions, which differ from the abstract considerations of formal systems in Gödel’s work.