Is Wikipedia's Portrayal of Antonin Scalia Accurate?

• Thread starter nismaratwork
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Wikipedia
In summary, Wikipedia isn't exactly "100% accurate" and there are some weird things that happen with it. But it's still a fun and informative site.
nismaratwork
Wikipedia Isn't Exactly "100%"...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Antonin_Scalia
NOTE: I didn't do this, and don't worry, I'm sure Wikipedia will take care of it.

Yeah, it's not in the writing as far as I can tell, but the picture is a bit off...

In case it's changed, here's the one that was his "portrait" as of this posting:

[PLAIN]http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/0/0a/Palpatine_ROTJ.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org

Yup it's already fixed.

And I just fixed it. Isn't peer review great?

Char. Limit said:
And I just fixed it. Isn't peer review great?

It is, good for you, but still... wow. I only looked up the page because I forgot who appointed him! I thought I was on some mirror site at first...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Palpatine_ROTJ.jpg

I once came across a screw that was much less metallic, and much more anatomically correct than I expected. :bugeye:...o:)

What were you doing...?

Dr Lots-o'watts said:
I once came across a screw that was much less metallic, and much more anatomically correct than I expected. :bugeye:...o:)

That could be very awkward in a bad situation... :smile:

russ_watters said:
What were you doing...?

I was learning about the very wide variety of screws out there!

Dr Lots-o'watts said:
I was learning about the very wide variety of screws out there!

How wide, you had no idea! Well... you had an idea, but nonetheless... SURPRISE!

Google is your friend.

Wiki is your *other* friend.

Wiki is really fun to hang out with, always has something interesting to talk about. A friend you can just sit and shoot the breeze with for hours.

But then out of nowhere, Wiki goes wacky! Wiki tells lies! Little ones, medium ones, and whoopers. Sometimes Wiki has an obvious motivation, sometimes there's no reason at all. Just...Wiki being Wiki.

It's still fun to hang out with Wiki :biggrin:.

lisab said:
Google is your friend.

Wiki is really fun to hang out with, always has something interesting to talk about. A friend you can just sit and shoot the breeze with for hours.

But then out of nowhere, Wiki goes wacky! Wiki tells lies! Little ones, medium ones, and whoopers. Sometimes Wiki has an obvious motivation, sometimes there's no reason at all. Just...Wiki being Wiki.

You're whacky! :wink:

lisab said:
Google is your friend.

Google is your knowledgeable, but somewhat creepy friend.

Google often makes strangely relevant suggestions, which makes you wonder if Google is keeping tabs on you. And you can't shake that feeling that Google might be going through your drawers while you're in the bathroom.

Google takes pictures of where you live and shows them to everyone. And when you make new friends and ask them if they need directions to your house, they always say “no, that's okay, I'll just ask Google”. And you wonder: what else is Google telling them about me?

You can't help hanging out with Google. Google is a great friend. But that strange vibe worries you a little. :rolleyes:

Take a look at this wiki entry that I caught one night when this craigslist killer movie came on and I wiki'ed it.

Attachments

• LAWLSmeh.JPG
    LAWLSmeh.JPG
    79.8 KB · Views: 462

[PLAIN]http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc4/hs699.snc4/61900_442240599620_743069620_5010573_5310337_n.jpg
Hehehe

caffenta said:
Google is your knowledgeable, but somewhat creepy friend.

Google often makes strangely relevant suggestions, which makes you wonder if Google is keeping tabs on you. And you can't shake that feeling that Google might be going through your drawers while you're in the bathroom.

Google takes pictures of where you live and shows them to everyone. And when you make new friends and ask them if they need directions to your house, they always say “no, that's okay, I'll just ask Google”. And you wonder: what else is Google telling them about me?

You can't help hanging out with Google. Google is a great friend. But that strange vibe worries you a little. :rolleyes:

re bolded: That needs to be their new slogan! I mean, it's what they DO, but to have it as a tag-line?! Oh... so good.

On a less amusing note, after typing the preceeding sentences, Google broke into my home and 'tuned me up'. Google just kept typing: "Do you think this is a @#^& game?!". Google only gets like that sometimes though, usually Google is so tender and understanding. :cry:

FAQ: Is Wikipedia's Portrayal of Antonin Scalia Accurate?

1. What is meant by "Wikipedia Isn't Exactly 100%"?

Wikipedia is an online encyclopedia that relies on user-generated content, meaning anyone can contribute and edit articles. This can lead to inaccuracies and biases in the information presented, making it not completely reliable or 100% accurate.

2. Why is it important to understand that Wikipedia isn't 100% accurate?

It is important to be aware of the limitations of Wikipedia so that users can critically evaluate the information they read and not take it as absolute truth. This is especially important for academic or professional purposes where accuracy and credibility are crucial.

3. Can Wikipedia still be a useful source of information?

Yes, Wikipedia can still be a useful starting point for research or learning about a topic. It often provides a general overview and links to other sources that can be used for further investigation. However, it should not be the only source used and the information should be fact-checked and verified.

4. How does Wikipedia ensure accuracy and reliability?

Wikipedia has a community of volunteer editors who monitor and review content for accuracy and neutrality. They also have strict guidelines and policies in place to prevent vandalism and promote reliable sourcing of information. However, errors and biases can still occur and it is ultimately up to the users to critically evaluate the information presented.

5. What should I do if I find inaccurate information on Wikipedia?

If you come across information on Wikipedia that you believe to be inaccurate, you can either edit the article yourself or report it to the editors. It is important to provide reliable sources to support your edits or claims. You can also leave a comment on the article's talk page to discuss the issue with other editors.

Back