Is Work Required to Move Capacitor Plates Apart?

In summary, the capacitor would maintain its potential difference, but the work done to maintain this difference would be the electrical work and the dielectric strength of the material.
Physgeek64
If I have a capacitor and I maintain the potential difference between the two plates as I move them apart would I have to do any work (other than mechanical work) to move them apart? my logic tells be I shouldn't have to as I'm not doing any work again the potential field? Just wondered what you guys thought?

Physics news on Phys.org
That depends on what you include in "mechanical work".

Besides gravitational force, the plates attract each other, due to the electric field between the plates.

The latter force can be calculated from: Eelec = ½*V2*C , V is constant here.

When you pull the plates apart, C will be decreased. Now say that V is maintained by some connected battery, the battery will be charged ( supplied by energy ).

Now calculate the total change in energy in the capacitor+battery. You must add this energy to the system, when you take apart the plates.

Last edited:
Hesch said:
That depends on what you include in "mechanical work".

Besides gravitational force, the plates attract each other, due to the electric field between the plates.

The latter force can be calculated from: Eelec = ½*V2*C , V is constant here.

When you pull the plates apart, C will be decreased. Now say that V is maintained by some connected battery, the battery will be charged ( supplied by energy ).

Now calculate the total change in energy in the capacitor+battery. You must add this energy to the system, when you take apart the plates.

Ahh yes, I forgot that charge must be added to keep the potential constant, and I don't think the capacitance would be varied? But adding this charge requires work to be done. Silly me. Thank you :)

BvU said:
Oops: there is a formula for this capacitance
Ahh okay! But would this not best be explained through the addition of charge? I accept that thee capacitance will change, but for calculation purposes?

REad on in the link: there is even an equation for the energy stored in a capacitor !

BvU said:
REad on in the link: there is even an equation for the energy stored in a capacitor !
I saw- I get that this is the energy stored on the capacitor, but suppose we don't know the dielectric strength, and V is kept constant. E= 1/2 dC V^2, but how would you go about finding dC (i.e. the change in capacitance). Sorry if I'm being really dumb and missing something extremely obvious

Correction: ##E = {1\over 2} CV^2##
Suppose you double the distance ##d##. What happens to C ?
You maintain V, and you have an expression for E before and after changing ##d##. The difference is the work done -- mechanical plus electrical.
How would you go about to calculate one of the two -- and thereby determine the other as well ?

BvU said:
Correction: ##E = {1\over 2} CV^2##
Suppose you double the distance ##d##. What happens to C ?
You maintain V, and you have an expression for E before and after changing ##d##. The difference is the work done -- mechanical plus electrical.
How would you go about to calculate one of the two -- and thereby determine the other as well ?
If you double the distance then c would half. Okay I think I've got it. Thank you.

From this would it be possible to calculate the force per unit area. i.e. would the use of F=-dW/dx be valid ?

That's the mechanical one. Before embarking on that: what is the electrical work ?

BvU said:
That's the mechanical one. Before embarking on that: what is the electrical work ?

W=Q integral E.dr

E= sigma/ epsilon naught?

W= Q sigma / epsilon-naught dx ?

I'd say ##W = \int VI\;dt = V \int I\;dt = V\Delta Q ## (since V is constant). Much easier ...

Related to Is Work Required to Move Capacitor Plates Apart?

1. What happens to the electric field between two capacitor plates when they are moved farther apart?

As the distance between the plates increases, the electric field weakens. This is because the electric field is directly proportional to the inverse of the distance between the plates.

2. Does the capacitance of a capacitor change when the plates are moved apart?

Yes, the capacitance of a capacitor changes when the plates are moved apart. Capacitance is inversely proportional to the distance between the plates, so as the plates are moved farther apart, the capacitance decreases.

3. How does the potential difference between the capacitor plates change when they are moved apart?

The potential difference between the plates remains constant when the plates are moved apart. This is because the potential difference is directly proportional to the charge on the plates, which remains the same even as the plates are moved apart.

4. Can a capacitor still hold a charge when the plates are moved apart?

Yes, a capacitor can still hold a charge when the plates are moved apart. The charge on each plate may decrease as the plates are separated, but the total charge on the capacitor remains constant.

5. Is there a limit to how far apart capacitor plates can be moved?

There is no theoretical limit to how far apart capacitor plates can be moved. However, practically, there may be limitations due to the strength of the dielectric material between the plates and the voltage the capacitor is designed to withstand.