Is x2+16 Prime? Understanding the Nature of this Polynomial

• Thread starter JR Sauerland
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Prime
In summary, the conversation discusses the polynomial x^2+16 and whether it is prime or irreducible. The first speaker provides an example of how x^2+16 can be factored and questions if there is a formula to explain its nature. The second speaker clarifies the two possible meanings of the question and provides an explanation for each case. They also mention the preference for the term "irreducible" over "prime" and ask for techniques to prove that x^2+16 is irreducible over the reals. The third speaker attempts to factor the polynomial but realizes it does not provide a solution for the question at hand.
JR Sauerland
Gold Member

Homework Statement

x2+16

Homework Equations

?

The Attempt at a Solution

If you attempt to solve it with (x+4)(x+4), it results in x2+8x+16, which is not equivalent. I believe it may be prime. I am looking for the formula (if there is any) to explain this. Allow me to give an example:
a2+2ab+b2 <<< This is the square of a binomial formula. Does my type of problem have a formula that explains its nature? If it's prime, how would I phrase it? axn+b=?

edit: back of the book states it is prime. Oops :p

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Well if x = 2k, with k some natural number then we get (2k)^2 +16. Is that prime?

dirk_mec1 said:
Well if x = 2k, with k some natural number then we get (2k)^2 +16. Is that prime?
I honestly have no idea :oops: 2k2+16... It seems like we can factor out a 2. 2(k2+8)?

JR Sauerland said:

Homework Statement

x2+16

Homework Equations

?

The Attempt at a Solution

If you attempt to solve it with (x+4)(x+4), it results in x2+8x+16, which is not equivalent. I believe it may be prime. I am looking for the formula (if there is any) to explain this. Allow me to give an example:
a2+2ab+b2 <<< This is the square of a binomial formula. Does my type of problem have a formula that explains its nature? If it's prime, how would I phrase it? axn+b=?

edit: back of the book states it is prime. Oops :p

Your question is unclear. I can see two possible meanings: (1) is ##x^2 + 16## a prime number when ##x## is an integer?
(2) Is the polynomial ##x^2 + 16## prime (= "irreducible?") in the algebraic sense?

In case (1) the answer is NO: ##p(x) = x^2 + 16## is the prime number 17 when ##x = 1##, but for ##x = 0, 2, 3, 4, \ldots## it is not prime. I suppose a valid question is whether ##p(x)## can ever be prime again for some integer ##x \geq 2##. I don't have the answer to that.

In case (2) you need to specify the number field or ring over which you polynomials taken; that is, what types of numbers will you allow in a factorization? Your polynomial ##p(x)## is irreducible (="prime"?) over the integers, rationals or reals, but is reducible (not prime?) over the complex numbers.

Likes Student100 and thelema418
Ray Vickson said:
Your question is unclear. I can see two possible meanings: (1) is ##x^2 + 16## a prime number when ##x## is an integer?
(2) Is the polynomial ##x^2 + 16## prime (= "irreducible?") in the algebraic sense?

In case (1) the answer is NO: ##p(x) = x^2 + 16## is the prime number 17 when ##x = 1##, but for ##x = 0, 2, 3, 4, \ldots## it is not prime. I suppose a valid question is whether ##p(x)## can ever be prime again for some integer ##x \geq 2##. I don't have the answer to that.

In case (2) you need to specify the number field or ring over which you polynomials taken; that is, what types of numbers will you allow in a factorization? Your polynomial ##p(x)## is irreducible (="prime"?) over the integers, rationals or reals, but is reducible (not prime?) over the complex numbers.

In my experience, case (2) is what this means. I much prefer the terminology irreducible over . . . rather than prime, but many textbooks, esp. high school level books prefer the word prime.

Following back to JR Sauerland's original question, this is an interesting problem to consider tactics for proof. What techniques or methods can you use to argue that this cannot be reduced over the reals? There are several arguments that could be made. Feel free to demonstrate that this is not reducible.

JR Sauerland said:

Homework Statement

x2+16

What are the roots of [itex]x^2+16[/itex]? In other words, what are the values of x (if there are any) such that [itex]x^2+16=0[/itex].

JR Sauerland said:
dirk_mec1 said:
I honestly have no idea :oops: 2k2+16... It seems like we can factor out a 2. 2(k2+8)?

If x=2k, then [itex]x^2=(2k)^2=2^2k^2=4k^2[/itex] and not [itex]2k^2[/itex]. Also, make sure to add parentheses where necessary, because [itex]2k^2[/itex] is different to [itex](2k)^2[/itex] since exponents have higher precedence than multiplying, so [itex]2k^2=2(k^2)[/itex]. Finally this means that you should be able to factor out a 4 in [itex](2k)^2+16[/itex] to get [itex]4(k^2+4)[/itex].

But alas this isn't going to help you solve your problem because what you've asked can be mistaken for a harder problem. What you're looking for is to find if the polynomial is irreducible as has been already mentioned.

Related to Is x2+16 Prime? Understanding the Nature of this Polynomial

1. Is x2+16 Prime?

No, x2+16 is not a prime number. A prime number is a positive integer that is divisible only by 1 and itself. In this case, x2+16 can be factored into (x+4)(x-4), showing that it is not a prime number.

2. How can we determine if x2+16 is Prime?

To determine if x2+16 is prime, we can use the rule that if a number is not divisible by any number between 2 and its square root, then it is a prime number. In this case, the square root of x2+16 is √(x2+16) = √(x+4)(x-4). Therefore, we need to check if x+4 and x-4 are both prime numbers.

3. Can x2+16 be a Prime number for certain values of x?

Yes, for certain values of x, x2+16 can be a prime number. For example, when x=3, x2+16=25 which is a prime number. However, this is not true for all values of x, as there are many values that will result in a non-prime number.

4. What is the significance of x2+16 not being Prime?

The fact that x2+16 is not a prime number has no particular significance in itself. However, it is important to understand that not all polynomials will result in prime numbers, and this can have implications in various mathematical and scientific fields such as cryptography and number theory.

5. Are there any exceptions where x2+16 can be considered Prime?

No, x2+16 can never be considered a prime number as it can always be factored into two smaller numbers (x+4 and x-4). Therefore, it does not meet the definition of a prime number and cannot be an exception.

Back