Is Your Calculation of Norton's Current Correct in the Circuit Analysis?

In summary, the Norton Equivalent circuit for the given circuit is a 3 ohm resistor in parallel with a 0.5A current source. The calculation for the Norton current is 2A - 1.5A = 0.5A. This is derived by first calculating the total current through the 12 ohm resistor, which is 2A, and then subtracting the current through the 4 ohm resistor, which is 1.5A. This results in a Norton current of 0.5A.
johnsy1312
Finding the Norton Equivalent circuit for the circuit attached

I attempted this solution but i am unsure if my Norton's current is correct:

[itex]R_N = \frac{1}{\frac{1}{6}+\frac{1}{12}+\frac{1}{12}}=3ohms[/itex]

[itex]I'_N = \frac{12*2}{12+4}=1.5A, I''_N = 2A[/itex]

[itex]I_N = 2A - 1.5A = 0.5A[/itex]

Attachments

• tre.jpg
    tre.jpg
    11.6 KB · Views: 428
Physics news on Phys.org
johnsy1312 said:
Finding the Norton Equivalent circuit for the circuit attached

I attempted this solution but i am unsure if my Norton's current is correct:

[itex]R_N = \frac{1}{\frac{1}{6}+\frac{1}{12}+\frac{1}{12}}=3ohms[/itex]

[itex]I'_N = \frac{12*2}{12+4}=1.5A, I''_N = 2A[/itex]

[itex]I_N = 2A - 1.5A = 0.5A[/itex]

Can you explain the logic behind your Norton current calculations? In particular, what motivates your calculation of ##I'_N## ?

Related to Is Your Calculation of Norton's Current Correct in the Circuit Analysis?

1. What is Norton's Equivalent Circuit?

Norton's Equivalent Circuit is a model used to represent the behavior of a complex circuit with a simplified equivalent circuit that has the same current-voltage characteristics at the output terminals.

2. How is Norton's Equivalent Circuit different from Thevenin's Equivalent Circuit?

Norton's Equivalent Circuit is based on the concept of current sources, while Thevenin's Equivalent Circuit is based on the concept of voltage sources. Additionally, in Norton's Equivalent Circuit, the output resistance is in parallel with the current source, while in Thevenin's Equivalent Circuit, the output resistance is in series with the voltage source.

3. What are the benefits of using Norton's Equivalent Circuit?

Norton's Equivalent Circuit can simplify complex circuits, making it easier to analyze and design. It also allows for easy conversion between current and voltage sources, which can be useful in certain applications.

4. How is Norton's Equivalent Circuit calculated?

Norton's Equivalent Circuit can be calculated by finding the Norton current, which is the short-circuit current at the output terminals, and the Norton resistance, which is the equivalent resistance at the output terminals when all independent sources are turned off.

5. Can Norton's Equivalent Circuit be used for any type of circuit?

Norton's Equivalent Circuit can be used for linear circuits that contain only resistors, independent voltage sources, and independent current sources. It is not applicable for circuits with dependent sources or non-linear components.