Is Z-Score Testing Appropriate for Comparing These Population Proportions?

• MHB
  • Thread starter chadwae
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation is about comparing a sample population with the US population in terms of age and gender distribution using z-score testing. The speaker suggests that a chi-square analysis may be a better method, but is unsure how to implement it. The expert notes that for comparing population proportions, a z-test is the standard method.
chadwae
So I have a sample population made up of:

59 people 20-24 years old
69 people 25-29 years old
TOTAL 128

to compare to the US population which was:

21,585,999 people 20-24 years old
21,101,849 people 20-29 years old

Then I have in the same groups

35 males (US pop 21,649,767)
93 females (US pop 21,038,081)

I used z-scores to compare them for similarity, but I'm thinking there may be a better way to do it. I thought maybe of a chi-square analysis for each, but I can't get that to work... Is z-score testing appropriate here or is there a better way?

Physics news on Phys.org
chadwae said:
So I have a sample population made up of:

59 people 20-24 years old
69 people 25-29 years old
TOTAL 128

to compare to the US population which was:

21,585,999 people 20-24 years old
21,101,849 people 20-29 years old

Then I have in the same groups

35 males (US pop 21,649,767)
93 females (US pop 21,038,081)

I used z-scores to compare them for similarity, but I'm thinking there may be a better way to do it. I thought maybe of a chi-square analysis for each, but I can't get that to work... Is z-score testing appropriate here or is there a better way?

Hi chadwae! Welcome to MHB! ;)

We're comparing 2 population proportions here.
The standard test for that is a z-test.
See for instance here or here.

FAQ: Is Z-Score Testing Appropriate for Comparing These Population Proportions?

1. What does it mean to "overthink" something?

"Overthinking" refers to the act of excessively analyzing or dwelling on a particular thought or situation. It can often lead to anxiety, stress, and indecision.

2. Why do people tend to overthink things?

There are a variety of reasons why people may overthink things. It could be due to past experiences, fear of failure, or a need for control. Some individuals may also have a tendency towards perfectionism or have a difficult time making decisions.

3. What are the potential negative effects of overthinking?

Overthinking can lead to increased stress, anxiety, and even physical symptoms such as headaches or stomachaches. It can also prevent individuals from taking action or making decisions, which can hinder their personal and professional growth.

4. How can I stop myself from overthinking?

There are various strategies that can help individuals stop overthinking. These include practicing mindfulness, challenging negative thoughts, setting realistic expectations, and seeking support from a therapist or trusted friend or family member.

5. Is overthinking always a bad thing?

While overthinking can have negative effects, it is not always a bad thing. In certain situations, carefully considering different perspectives and potential outcomes can be beneficial. However, it is important to recognize when overthinking becomes excessive and detrimental to one's well-being.