Iso Spin Conservation in Eta -> 2 Gamma Decay

• Thread starter sj8100
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Gamma
In summary, the conversation discusses the non-conservation of isospin in the decay process of eta into two gamma particles. The eta has an isospin of 0, while the gamma particles have no defined isospin due to the involvement of a gamma in the process. This leads to the conclusion that isospin is not conserved in this decay process.
sj8100
eta --> gamma gamma

Could someone help me on this. Iso spin is not conserved in EM interaction. How can we say isospin is not conserved in the 'eta -> 2 gamma' decay.The eta has I =1 and I3 =0 and for the gamma I = 0 ,1. Thanks a lot

Physics news on Phys.org

The gamma has no defined Ispin since Ispin is not conserved if a gamma is involved.
The eta has I=0, not 1.

clem said:
The gamma has no defined Ispin since Ispin is not conserved if a gamma is involved.
The eta has I=0, not 1.

Thanks for the reply, that's my typing mistake, I=0 for eta.
OK. LHS I = 0 RHS I = not defined
So, isospin is not conserved. Is that the way to explain non conservation of isospin
thanks

Related to Iso Spin Conservation in Eta -> 2 Gamma Decay

What is Iso Spin Conservation?

Iso Spin Conservation is a concept in particle physics that states the total isospin (a quantum number related to the strong nuclear force) of a system must remain constant in a given interaction or decay process.

How does Iso Spin Conservation apply to Eta -> 2 Gamma Decay?

In Eta -> 2 Gamma Decay, the initial particle (Eta) has a total isospin of 0, and the final state (2 Gamma) also has a total isospin of 0. This means that the isospin must be conserved throughout the decay process, and the resulting particles must have a combined isospin of 0.

What is the role of the Strong Nuclear Force in Iso Spin Conservation?

The Strong Nuclear Force is responsible for the interactions between subatomic particles, including the conservation of isospin. In Eta -> 2 Gamma Decay, the strong nuclear force must act to maintain the total isospin of the system.

Are there any exceptions to Iso Spin Conservation in Eta -> 2 Gamma Decay?

No, Iso Spin Conservation is a fundamental law in particle physics and applies to all interactions and decays, including Eta -> 2 Gamma Decay.

What are the consequences of violating Iso Spin Conservation in Eta -> 2 Gamma Decay?

If Iso Spin Conservation is violated in Eta -> 2 Gamma Decay, it would indicate a flaw in our understanding of the strong nuclear force and the underlying principles of particle interactions. Therefore, experimental observations of this decay process must always satisfy Iso Spin Conservation.