Isolated Analog Voltage Measurements

In summary: I would also recommend looking at hobby sites like EagleCAD or SparkFun. They often carry parts not found in the retail channels.- AveragesupernovaIn summary, Jason is looking for an isolation amplifier that will allow him to measure voltages up to 5V with a bandwidth of 100 kHz. Avago seems to make the only amplifier specifically designed for this, but it is a tiny SMT package and may not be socketable in the event of a failure. He has looked at other solutions, but they either involve more parts or are more expensive.
Jdo300
Hello All,

I'm working on a design for a board that will allow me to plug in a standard 10x scope probe and then reduce and isolate the signal to go into the input of an ADC in a microcontroller (0-5V range) with a max bandwidth of 100 kHz. I have been shopping around for a while looking at the different options available for isolation amplifiers and came across this one which seems to have everything I need: ACPL-C87A-000E. However, it comes in a tiny SMT package, and I'm looking for something that can be socketed in case of a failure during use. Avago seems to make many other osilation amplifierrs, but this is the only one I found that seems to be specifically suited for voltage measurements. Has anyone here had any experience building circuits for analog signal isolation? I have looked at several other solutions out there but they either involve more parts or are far more expensive to implement.

Thanks,
Jason O

Engineering news on Phys.org
Integrated circuits are inherently made to reduce the complexity of the PCB by cramming a lot of parts onto a small package. So, the isolation amplifier you wish to use but has the drawback of being SMT is the starting point and from there the you will increase the number of parts and complexity of the PCB. Having worked for a test equipment manufacturer I can tell you that generally we used an A/D convertor and then an opto-coupler for the isolation before going into the microcontroller. I would assume that you have investigated that route.

Hello,
Hi Averagesupernova,

Thank you for the input. Yes, I have looked into this. Actually, the probe board is designed to be an addon for microcontrollers that take an analog input (using their internal A/Ds). If the input were to be digital, then I could definitely put the A/D directly on the isolated side and clock the digital output over a digital isolator. the challenge is that I need an analog output and, ideally, want to find an integrated solution.

- Jason O

Have you tried a search on "Surfboard" ?

that's a brand of circuit boards that accept surface mount but have a larger footprint and pins for a more convenient package.

9082_sml.jpg

at digikey or hobby sites...

I put "ACPL" into a Digikey search and then filtered for "through-hole" parts to come up with these 8-DIP isolation amps. Would any of those suit your needs?

It's well worth becoming familiar with Digikey's online catalog. It has interesting filtering options like "through-hole" for example.

Related to Isolated Analog Voltage Measurements

1. What is an isolated analog voltage measurement?

An isolated analog voltage measurement is a type of measurement that involves using an isolation barrier between the voltage source and the measurement device. This barrier helps to protect the measurement device from any potential hazards, such as high voltages or noise, and ensures accurate and safe measurements.

2. How does an isolation barrier work in isolated analog voltage measurements?

An isolation barrier works by using a combination of magnetic or optical couplers, isolators, and transformers to transfer the voltage signal from the source to the measurement device. This barrier blocks any direct current flow between the two, while still allowing the voltage signal to be accurately measured.

3. What are the advantages of using isolated analog voltage measurements?

The main advantage of using isolated analog voltage measurements is safety. By isolating the voltage source from the measurement device, any potential hazards are eliminated, making it a safer option for both the equipment and the operator. Additionally, the isolation barrier helps to reduce noise and interference, resulting in more accurate measurements.

4. What types of applications require isolated analog voltage measurements?

Isolated analog voltage measurements are commonly used in industrial and high-voltage applications, such as power grid monitoring, motor control, and solar energy systems. They are also used in medical equipment, where safety and accuracy are crucial.

5. Are there any limitations to isolated analog voltage measurements?

One limitation of isolated analog voltage measurements is their cost. The additional components needed for isolation can make them more expensive than non-isolated measurements. Additionally, the isolation barrier may introduce some inaccuracies in the measurement, although these are usually minimal and can be corrected for with proper calibration.