Isolated system/conservation of energy

• Thread starter shawli
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Energy
In summary, two objects with masses 5.00 kg and 3.00 kg are connected by a light string and the 5.00 kg object is released from rest at a height of 4.00 m above the ground. Using the isolated system model, the speed of the 3.00 kg object just as the 5.00 kg object hits the ground can be determined. By considering the initial and final states of energy, the final velocity of the 3.00 kg object can be calculated as v = (2*g*h(m1-m2)/m2)^0.5. However, this equation may not be entirely accurate due to the fact that both objects will have the same velocity while connected by the
shawli

Homework Statement

Two objects, m1 = 5.00 kg and m2 = 3.00 kg, are connected by a light string passing over a light frictionless pulley as shown in the figure below. The object of mass 5.00 kg is released from rest, h = 4.00 m above the ground.

Using the isolated system model, determine the speed of the 3.00 kg object just as the 5.00 kg object hits the ground.

Homework Equations

Kf + Uf = Ki + Ui

The Attempt at a Solution

So I thought that initially, energy was only in the form of gravitational potential energy for m1 and at the final state there is kinetic energy for m2 and gravitational potential energy for m2.

When I isolate for final velocity of m2, I end up getting:

v = (2*g*h(m1-m2)/m2)^0.5

But I am doing something wrong. Could someone point me in the right direction please?

Physics news on Phys.org
Whoop nevermind, caught my mistake -- m1 has a final velocity and both m1 and m2 have this same velocity! (I think the velocity is the same since they're connected by the same string? Not 100% on that though...)

Yes they will have the same velocity because of the string (for about zero time since the ground will slow down one of them while the other will continue to move as it did before)

Related to Isolated system/conservation of energy

1. What is an isolated system?

An isolated system is a physical system that does not exchange matter or energy with its surroundings. This means that the total energy within the system remains constant over time, as no energy can enter or leave the system.

2. What is conservation of energy?

Conservation of energy is a fundamental principle in physics which states that energy cannot be created or destroyed, but can only be transformed from one form to another. This means that the total amount of energy within a closed system remains constant.

3. How does an isolated system relate to conservation of energy?

An isolated system is an example of the conservation of energy principle in action. Since no energy can enter or leave the system, the total energy within the system remains constant, thus demonstrating the conservation of energy.

4. What are some examples of isolated systems?

Some examples of isolated systems include a sealed thermos, an insulated thermodynamic system, and the universe as a whole. In these systems, no energy or matter can enter or leave, making them good examples of isolated systems.

5. Why is understanding isolated systems and conservation of energy important?

Understanding isolated systems and conservation of energy is important because it allows us to accurately predict and describe the behavior of physical systems. It also helps us to understand the fundamental laws of nature and allows us to develop new technologies and innovations based on these principles.