Isomorphism and linear independence

In summary: Thanks for pointing it out!In summary, the conversation discusses the problem of showing that T(U1), T(U2),...,T(Un) is linearly independent in V, given that T: U->V is an isomorphism and U1, U2,...,Un are linearly independent. The solution involves proving that if a linear combination of T(U1), T(U2),...,T(Un) is equal to 0, then all coefficients must be 0, thus showing the linear independence of the set. The conversation also addresses different approaches to the problem and clarifies some misunderstandings.
asif zaidi
I think I am missing a key info below. I have listed the problem statement, how I am approaching and why I think I am missing something.

Please advise why I am wrong.

Thanks

Asif
============

Problem statement:
Let T: U->V be an isomorphism. Let U1, U2,...,Un be linearly independent. Show that T(U1), T(U2),...,T(Un) is linearly independent in V.

Problem solution
1- In U, this is true: (lambda[1])(U[1]) + ... (lambda[n])(U[n]) = 0 as this is linearly independent and all lambdas are 0 (for linear independence)

2- Since it is an isomorphism, every vector in U uniquely maps to V.

3- Therefore V is linearly independent also.

4- v1 = (alpha[1])T(U[1])
vn = (alpha[n])T(U[n])
Since v is lineraly independent:
0 = alpha[1]T(U[1]) + alpha[2]T(U2)+...+alpha[n]T(U[n])

My question

a- Is step 3 a valid assumption
b- By saying equation in step 4, can I safely assume that T(u1),...,T(un) are linearly independent?

Thanks

Asif

Physics news on Phys.org
Actually, linear independence of v1, v2, ..., vn is equivalent to saying that if
a1 v1 + a2 v2 + ... + an vn = 0
then all ai must be zero. So in step 4 you actually assumed what you are proving.

I'd go about it like this: suppose that
b1 T(u1) + b2 T(u2) + ... + bn T(un) = 0
for some coefficients b1, ..., bn. You want to prove that these numbers are all zero. Now use what you know about a isomorphism. Especially note that it is linear. You will want to go back to a linear combination with just u1, ..., un, because you know that they are independent.

asif zaidi said:
I think I am missing a key info below. I have listed the problem statement, how I am approaching and why I think I am missing something.

Please advise why I am wrong.

Thanks

Asif
============

Problem statement:
Let T: U->V be an isomorphism. Let U1, U2,...,Un be linearly independent. Show that T(U1), T(U2),...,T(Un) is linearly independent in V.

Problem solution
1- In U, this is true: (lambda[1])(U[1]) + ... (lambda[n])(U[n]) = 0 as this is linearly independent and all lambdas are 0 (for linear independence)
Technically, what you have said is that if all the lambdas are 0, then that linear combination is 0- that's true of any set of vectors, independent or not. What you need to use is the other way: if, given that the linear combination is 0, then all lambdas must be 0.

2- Since it is an isomorphism, every vector in U uniquely maps to V.

3- Therefore V is linearly independent also.

4- v1 = (alpha[1])T(U[1])
vn = (alpha[n])T(U[n])
Since v is lineraly independent:
0 = alpha[1]T(U[1]) + alpha[2]T(U2)+...+alpha[n]T(U[n])

My question

a- Is step 3 a valid assumption
b- By saying equation in step 4, can I safely assume that T(u1),...,T(un) are linearly independent?

Thanks

Asif
Well, no, step 3 is NOT a "valid assumption"- it is what you are trying to prove! It might help to use a slightly different characterization of independence: it's not difficult to prove that a set of vectors is independent if and only if no one of them can be written as a linear combination of the others.

Suppose T(u1), T(u2), ... T(un) were NOT linearly independent Then one of them, say T(ui) is equal to a1T(u1)+ ... an T(un)= T(a1u1+ ... anun) where ui does NOT appear on the right hand sides. Then use the fact that T is one-to-one.

Another characterization of "linearly independent" is that the 0 vector can be written in only one way: if a1u1+ ... anun= 0, then a1= ...= an= 0. You could also use that.

So I assume you are saying that

- Assume there exists T(a[1]u[1])+...+T(a[n]u[n])) = 0

- Then because this is an isomorphic transformation and this transformation is linear, I get
T(a1u1+...anUn) = 0 or
(a1u1+...+anUn) = 0

- Now since U's is linerarly independent, it implies that all a's are 0 for all n.

- Therefore T(u) is linearly independent for all n.

asif zaidi said:
So I assume you are saying that

- Assume there exists T(a[1]u[1])+...+T(a[n]u[n])) = 0

- Then because this is an isomorphic transformation and this transformation is linear, I get
T(a1u1+...anUn) = 0 or
(a1u1+...+anUn) = 0

- Now since U's is linerarly independent, it implies that all a's are 0 for all n.

- Therefore T(u) is linearly independent for all n.

No, you seem to be having a hard time, so this is how to do it. Make sure you can do this on your own!

Assume a_1T(u_1) + ... + a_nT(u_n) = 0 for some scalars a_1, ..., a_n, then by linearity of T we have,
T(a_1u_1 + ... +a_nu_n) = 0 = T(0). Now apply T^-1 to both sides, so
a_1u_1 + ... + a_nu_n = 0, but u_1,..., u_n are independent, so
a_1 = ... = a_n = 0, so we are done.

So we started with a_1T(u_1) + ... + a_nT(u_n) = 0, and showed all the a_i are zero, so by definition this means T(u_1), ..., T(u_n) are linearly independent.

No, ircdan, asif zaidi's is perfectly valid (as is your of course). He did not use T-1 but he used the equivalent statement that if T(v)= 0, then v= 0. Since T is one-to-one and T(0)= 0, if T(v)= 0 we must have v= 0. Then he can say "Now since U's is linerarly independent, it implies that all a's are 0 for all n." (Well, "U's are" would be better English!:wink:)

HallsofIvy said:
No, ircdan, asif zaidi's is perfectly valid (as is your of course). He did not use T-1 but he used the equivalent statement that if T(v)= 0, then v= 0. Since T is one-to-one and T(0)= 0, if T(v)= 0 we must have v= 0. Then he can say "Now since U's is linerarly independent, it implies that all a's are 0 for all n." (Well, "U's are" would be better English!:wink:)

Ahh ok I didn't bother to read the proof since the first line reads "Assume T(a[1]u[1])+...+T(a[n]u[n])) = 0 " and that's already incorrect because the a_i's are on the inside, which is wrong imho. If you are going to use the definition to prove something, you should use it correctly right? Anyways I can see what he/she meant by that, it's totally obvious, but the original poster was having a very hard time and I didn't want them to think that's how they should start their proofs.

Heh I just realized Asif *is* the original poster.

Last edited:

Related to Isomorphism and linear independence

1. What is isomorphism?

Isomorphism is a mathematical concept that describes a relationship between two structures or systems that have the same underlying structure, but may differ in their elements or symbols.

2. How is isomorphism related to linear independence?

Isomorphism is closely related to linear independence because it is often used to show that two vector spaces are equivalent in terms of their linear independence properties. If two vector spaces are isomorphic, they have the same number of linearly independent vectors.

3. Can two isomorphic vector spaces have different bases?

Yes, it is possible for two isomorphic vector spaces to have different bases. Isomorphism only guarantees that the two vector spaces have the same number of linearly independent vectors, not that they have the same specific basis vectors.

4. How can I determine if two vector spaces are isomorphic?

To determine if two vector spaces are isomorphic, you can check if there exists a linear transformation between them that is both one-to-one and onto. This means that the transformation preserves both linear independence and span.

5. What is the significance of isomorphism in linear algebra?

Isomorphism is a powerful tool in linear algebra as it allows us to compare and analyze different vector spaces in terms of their underlying structure. It also helps us to extend our understanding of linear algebra concepts, such as linear independence, to different systems or structures.