Isomorphism between Clifford algebras CL(4,2) and CL(2,4)

In summary, Ben says that the Clifford algebras are isomorphic and that the proof involved flipping some metric tensor.
mnb96
Hi,

I was reading a paragraph of a book (you can find it here) where the author seems to suggest that the Clifford algebras [itex]\mathcal{C}\ell_{2,4}(\mathbb{R})[/itex] and [itex]\mathcal{C}\ell_{4,2}(\mathbb{R})[/itex] are isomorphic. In particular, at the third line after Equation (10.190), when he talks about the algebra with signature (4,2), the authors says:

"The signature shows that this space is isomorphic to the conformal algebra of spacetime"

where by "conformal algebra of spacetime" he means the algebra with signature (2,4).

How did he manage to deduce just from the signatures of these two algebras that they are indeed isomorphic?
I am not convinced of this statement, and I am wondering if there is a quick way to prove it (that I am missing).

Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
The Clifford algebra is generated by matrices ##\Gamma_\mu## satisfying

$$\{ \Gamma_\mu, \Gamma_\nu \} = 2 \eta_{\mu\nu}$$
To flip ##\eta_{\mu\nu} \to - \eta_{\mu\nu}##, just send ##\Gamma_\mu \to i \Gamma_\mu##.

Hi Ben,

thanks a lot for answering, though I must confess that I didn't understand anything of what you wrote.
In particular, I don't know what [itex]\Gamma[/itex] and [itex]\eta[/itex] stand for, and I have never seen the notation [itex]\{A,B\}[/itex]. Could you please clarify this?
Thanks.

Sorry, but I don't think my original question received an answer.

Assuming that in Ben's first equation the curly braces denote the anti-commutator, and assuming that η in the right-term denotes the metric tensor (btw the identity matrix next to η is missing), then I don't see how the trick of sending ##\Gamma_\mu \to i \Gamma_\mu## could automatically prove that we have created a Clifford algebra isomorphism.

It seems to me that we could apply, for instance, the same reasoning to the generating elements of ##\mathcal{C}\ell_{2,0}(\mathbb{R})## and prove that: ##\mathcal{C}\ell_{2,0}(\mathbb{R})\simeq \mathcal{C}\ell_{0,2}(\mathbb{R}) \simeq \mathbb{H}## which is clearly not true.

I hope someone can answer my original question.

Good points. Since the map I've written involves multiplication by ##i##, it only establishes the isomorphism of the algebras over ##\mathbb{C}##, not over ##\mathbb{R}##. But I think for any practical purpose, that is enough. I know it makes no physical difference whether you work in a Clifford algebra of signature (p,q) or of (q,p). It should be obvious that ##SO(p,q) \simeq SO(q,p)##, so either Clifford algebra can be used to construct 1/2-integer representations.

Related to Isomorphism between Clifford algebras CL(4,2) and CL(2,4)

What is an isomorphism between Clifford algebras?

An isomorphism between Clifford algebras is a bijective mapping between two Clifford algebras that preserves the algebraic structure, meaning that the operations of addition, multiplication, and scalar multiplication are the same in both algebras.

What are the dimensions of CL(4,2) and CL(2,4)?

CL(4,2) is a 16-dimensional algebra, while CL(2,4) is a 32-dimensional algebra. This means that they have 16 and 32 basis elements, respectively, and can be represented by 16x16 and 32x32 matrices.

How do you prove an isomorphism between Clifford algebras?

To prove an isomorphism between Clifford algebras, you need to show that there exists a bijective mapping between the two algebras and that this mapping preserves the algebraic structure. This can be done by showing that the mapping satisfies the definition of an isomorphism and by demonstrating that the operations of addition, multiplication, and scalar multiplication are the same in both algebras.

What are some applications of isomorphism between Clifford algebras?

Isomorphism between Clifford algebras is used in various fields of mathematics, such as representation theory, differential geometry, and physics. It allows for the study and manipulation of different algebras using the same techniques, making it a powerful tool for solving problems and making connections between seemingly unrelated concepts.

Can there be multiple isomorphisms between two Clifford algebras?

Yes, there can be multiple isomorphisms between two Clifford algebras. In fact, two algebras can be isomorphic in one direction but not in the other direction. Additionally, there can be multiple isomorphisms between two algebras that preserve different algebraic structures, such as addition, multiplication, and scalar multiplication.