Isothermal Work Calculation for an Imperfect Gas

In summary, the conversation revolves around calculating the work required to compress 0.3 mol of an imperfect gas isothermally from a volume of 5*10^(-3)m^3 to 2*10^(-5)m^3 at 300K. The equation given for the gas is (p+a/V_m^2)(V_m-b)=RT, where a = 8*10^(-4)Nm^4mol^(-2) and b=3*10^(-5)m^3mol^(-1). The individual is having difficulty computing the integral and is unsure of how to handle the molar volume. After some discussion, it is determined that replacing each V_m with V/n or
RJLiberator
Gold Member

Homework Statement

An imperfect gas obeys the equation
[tex](p+\frac{a}{V^2_m})(V_m-b)=RT[/tex]
where a = 8*10^(-4)Nm^4mol^(-2) and b=3*10^(-5)m^3mol^(-1). Calculate the work required to compress 0.3 mol of this gas isothermally from a volume of 5*10^(-3)m^3 to 2*10^(-5)m^3 at 300K.

Homework Equations

This is an isothermal work calculation so I should be able to use

[tex]W = -\int_a^b pdV\[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

I feel like I have a good solution, however, when I plug the integral calculation into Wolfram alpha, I get arctanh and imaginary numbers meaning I must have done something wrong.

1. I take the equation giving and set it equal to p
I tried both of these for p:

[tex]p=\frac{RT-\frac{a}{V_m}+\frac{ab}{V^2_m}}{(V_m-b)}[/tex]
or
[tex]p=\frac{RT}{(V_m-b)}-\frac{a}{V^2_m}[/tex]

These two should equal the same thing, I just did different algebraic manipulations to get there. Either way, both do not work.

2. I put p into the integral from the desired volumes and compute using wolfram alpha.

[tex] -\int_{5*10^{-3}}^{2*10^{-5}} \frac{RT}{(V_m-b)}-\frac{a}{V^2_m} dx \ [/tex]

Now, I use R = 8.314, T = 300. I get imaginary numbers everytime. Cauchy Principal value turned out to be -15445.6 if that means anything.

Any idea what I'm doing wrong?

Physics news on Phys.org
RJLiberator said:
[tex] -\int_{5*10^{-3}}^{2*10^{-5}} \frac{RT}{(V_m-b)}-\frac{a}{V^2_m} dx \ [/tex]
What does x represent in dx? Note that ##V_m## is molar volume (not volume of the gas).

Likes RJLiberator
Wopps, that is meant to be dV.

Ah, molar volume, to handle this I simply multiply by 0.3 everywhere I see a V_m?

V_m = V/n where n= 0.3mol in this case, so we can have 0.3V_m everywhere in the integral.

You could replace each ##V_m## in the integral by ##V/n## so that you can then integrate with respect to the volume V.

Or, you could leave the ##V_m##'s in place and let ##V_m## be the integration variable by expressing ##dV## in terms of ##dV_m## and changing your limits to molar volumes.

Likes RJLiberator
BOOM, that did it. So my mess up was the molar volume... ah. Thank you kindly for your help, @TSny.

Related to Isothermal Work Calculation for an Imperfect Gas

1. What is the definition of isotherm work done?

The isotherm work done is the measure of the energy transferred to or from a system during a process at constant temperature. It is represented by the area under the curve on a pressure-volume graph.

2. How is isotherm work done calculated?

The isotherm work done is calculated by taking the integral of the pressure-volume curve over the specified range. This can be done using mathematical equations or graphically by measuring the area under the curve.

3. What does a positive or negative value for isotherm work done indicate?

A positive value for isotherm work done indicates that energy is being transferred to the system, while a negative value indicates energy is being transferred from the system. This is due to the direction of the process on the pressure-volume graph.

4. Can isotherm work done be negative?

Yes, isotherm work done can be negative if the process is moving in the opposite direction of the pressure-volume graph, indicating a release of energy from the system.

5. How does isotherm work done differ from adiabatic or isobaric work done?

Isotherm work done differs from adiabatic and isobaric work done in that it is specifically measured at a constant temperature, while adiabatic work done is measured in a thermally isolated system and isobaric work done is measured at a constant pressure.