Issue With Optimization Problem

In summary, the conversation discusses finding the equations for the lines through points AC and CB, as well as solving integrals to calculate the area of the given shape. The suggested approach is to handle point C as a known point and write the integrals as if C was given. The final step is to use integration to obtain a single equation in the variables x0 and y0, which can then be minimized. The conversation also mentions using a diagram to aid in the process and provides a resource for typing formulas. One participant has attempted this approach but encountered difficulties with integrating constants. They have requested to see what they have done so far in order to identify the issue.
Guy Fieri

Homework Statement

pJQUTPw.png

Homework Equations

I have yet to figure out any relevant equations, but I do believe that the constraint equation for the optimization problem is the y=64-x^6 listed above.

The Attempt at a Solution

I am currently trying to figure out methods to begin my optimization process, such as configuring a basic area formula to optimize; however I'm not quite sure where to begin.

Attachments

• pJQUTPw.png
    pJQUTPw.png
    13.7 KB · Views: 621
Physics news on Phys.org
You should start with the equations of the lines through ##AC## and ##CB##. Handle the point ##C## as if you know it: ##C=(x_0,y_0)##. Also a diagram of the situation would help you a lot. In a third step, write the integrals you must solve to calculate the area. All as if ##C## was given. At then end, after the integration, you should get a single equation in the variables ##x_0,y_0## which you can minimize.

fresh_42 said:
You should start with the equations of the lines through ##AC## and ##CB##. Handle the point ##C## as if you know it: ##C=(x_0,y_0)##. Also a diagram of the situation would help you a lot. In a third step, write the integrals you must solve to calculate the area. All as if ##C## was given. At then end, after the integration, you should get a single equation in the variables ##x_0,y_0## which you can minimize.
I tried doing that, but I ended up integrating constants after producing the equations.

Can you show us what you've done, so we can see where the difficulties lie?
This page https://www.physicsforums.com/help/latexhelp/ can help you type formulas.

Which equations did you use for the straight lines, when you've only given points?

Related to Issue With Optimization Problem

1. What is an optimization problem?

An optimization problem is a mathematical problem that involves finding the best possible solution to a given situation. This solution is usually the one that maximizes or minimizes a certain objective, while also satisfying a set of constraints.

2. Why is optimization important?

Optimization is important because it allows us to make the best possible decisions and improve the efficiency of processes. It can be applied to a wide range of fields, including engineering, economics, and computer science, to name a few.

3. What is the difference between a local and global optimum?

A local optimum is the best possible solution within a specific region of the problem space, while a global optimum is the best solution among all possible solutions in the entire problem space. It is possible for a local optimum to not be the best overall solution, which is why global optimization is important.

4. What are some common techniques for solving optimization problems?

Some common techniques for solving optimization problems include linear programming, nonlinear programming, dynamic programming, and genetic algorithms. Each technique has its own advantages and is suitable for different types of optimization problems.

5. How do you know if your optimization problem has been solved correctly?

If you are using an algorithm or software to solve your optimization problem, it will typically provide a solution that meets all the constraints and optimizes the objective function. However, it is always important to double-check the solution and make sure it makes sense in the context of the problem.