Issues With Mathematica - AGAIN (Not Displaying Plots)

Ascendant0
I've had Mathematica for years. I started having issues with it not too long ago. The first function I would plug in would work correctly, but then any command or function I'd plug in after that would do nothing. I had to literally restart Mathematica every single time I wanted to do the next command!

So, I got another version of it. I *thought* this one was working, but this one has issues as well! If I use the free form input to evaluate something, it works fine. If I use Wolfram Language Input, it gives me a blank graph for anything I try to plot. I have included a screenshot below.

I tried uninstalling and re-installing, deleting all the activation key info and entering in everything again from scratch, restarted my PC, I even installed a version a fellow classmate has (and it works on his PC). Nothing helps. I don't get it, because my old version still works perfectly fine on my laptop, it is only my desktop that it doesn't work on, and again, it's only Wolfram Language Input it doesn't work for. Everything else seems to work fine.

If anyone has any other suggestions, I'd appreciate it. I've wasted hours and hours of my time trying to fix this to no avail. I don't know what else to do other than switch to something like Matlab and tell Wolfram to kiss my @SS for wasting my time with their faulty software. It's just that I've used Mathematica for so many years that I hate to switch to something new and have to take time to learn that, when I already don't have enough hours in the day as it is.

wtf.JPG

Physics news on Phys.org
It looks like your In[2] equation is a call to Wolfram alpha. Is that possibly the issue. Try avoiding calls to Wolfram alpha and see if the same faulilure occurs.

Last edited:
Likes Ascendant0
Actually, the Out[3] looks like a correct output for bad input. You probably don’t want to have a Boolean as an input to a trigonometric function.

Last edited:
Likes Ascendant0
Dale said:
You probably don’t want to have a Boolean as an input to a trigonometric function.
@Dale is absolutely spot on. @Ascendant0, do you have a typo in In[3]? How do you expect Plot3D to display quantities like this:
1725763158646.png

Last edited:
Likes Dale
Dale said:
Actually, the Out[3] looks like a correct output for bad input. You probably don’t want to have a Boolean as an input to a trigonometric function.
Thanks for the information. After toying around with things some, it's odd. I'm able to get it to graph some equations, but some, it won't. And there are a few I have in a word doc that I used to use as examples, and I cut and paste them directly from the eqs I used as practice before, and now some work, some don't. Maybe it is issues with the syntax, and for some reason with my previous version, it worked its way through it, but this one doesn't.

That is possible. I don’t know all the other functions you are trying, but this specific one is not a Mathematica failure. It is just an expression that doesn’t evaluate to a number.

Likes Ascendant0