It seems easy, but I don't get it

• Thread starter Karlx
  • Start date
In summary, Rohatgi's "An introduction to Probability and Statistics" has a problem in chapter 4 where the explanation for the probability that five white and three black balls remain in the chosen urn is incorrect. The correct answer is n=6.
Karlx
Hi everybody.
Once more, I need your help.

The following is a problem that appears in Rohatgi's "An introduction to Probability and Statistics":

"Each of n urns contains four white and six black balls, while another urn contains five white and five black balls. An urn is chosen at random from the (n+1) urns, and two balls are drawn from it, both being black. The probability that five white and three black balls remain in the chosen urn is 1/7. Find n."

My first guess would be that n=6, but the solution given in the book is n=4.

Someone can tell me if I am wrong or there is a mistake in the book ?
Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
My guess is the following one:

The probability that five white and three black balls remain in the chosen urn is zero for the n urns that had initially only four white balls.
For the urn that had initially 5 white and 5 black balls, the probability of having 5 white and 3 black balls after having drawn 2 black balls is 1.
The probability that this former is the chosen urn is 1/(n+1).
So n must be equal to 6.

Am I wrong or there is a mistake in the book?
I would appreciate your hints.
Thanks

Let's say E is the event that the urn with 5 white and 5 balls is chosen, and B is the number of black balls drawn. You are told that

[tex]P(E \;|\; B=2) = 1/7[/tex].

By definition, [tex]P(E \;|\; B=2) = \frac{P(E \; \cap \; B=2)}{P(B=2)}[/tex].

Take it from there.

Thanks for your answer, awkward.
This was my first attempt to the problem, but I wrote it in the following terms:

Let's say A is the event that five white and three black balls remain in the chosen urn, B is the number of black balls drawn and Cm is the event that the urn m has been chosen.
Then we are told that

[tex]
P(A \;|\; B=2) = \frac{P(A \; \cap \; B=2)}{P(B=2)}
[/tex]

where
[tex]
P(A \; \cap \; B=2) = \sum_{m=1}^{n+1}p(C_{m})p(A\; \cap \; B=2 \;|\; C_{m}) = \sum_{m=1}^{n+1} p(A\; \cap \; B=2 \cap \; C_{m})
[/tex]

and my problem was that I did not apply correctly the multiplication rule, that is

[tex]
p(A\; \cap \; B=2 \cap \; C_{m}) = p(C_{m}) p(B=2 \;|\; C_{m}) p(A \;|\; B=2 \cap \; C_{m})
[/tex]

If I apply it correctly, then I obtain the result n=4, the same that appears in the book, and indeed the same if I apply your hint.
Thanks a lot.

Last edited:

Hello! I understand that it can be frustrating when a problem appears to be easy, but you are having trouble understanding it. In this case, it is important to carefully review the information given and use logical reasoning to determine the correct solution. While your initial guess of n=6 may seem reasonable, the given solution of n=4 is actually correct. This is because the probability of selecting an urn with five white and three black balls, given that two black balls were drawn, is 1/7. This can only be true if the urn originally had six black balls, as stated in the problem. Therefore, the correct solution is n=4. It is always a good idea to double check your work and refer to reliable sources for clarification if needed. I hope this helps!

Related to It seems easy, but I don't get it

1. How can I make the concept easier to understand?

One approach is to break down the concept into smaller, simpler parts and then gradually build up to the overall idea. You can also try using analogies or real-life examples to help illustrate the concept.

2. Are there any resources or tools that can help me better understand the concept?

Absolutely! There are many resources available, such as textbooks, online articles, and videos, that can provide a clearer explanation of the concept. You can also try discussing the concept with others who have a better understanding of it.

3. Why do I find this concept so difficult to understand compared to others?

Everyone has their own unique learning style, and certain concepts may be more challenging for some individuals than others. It's important to find a learning method that works best for you and to be patient with yourself as you work through understanding the concept.

4. Is there a specific approach I should take to better understand the concept?

Some individuals find it helpful to approach the concept from different angles, such as through hands-on activities or by teaching it to someone else. It's also important to actively engage with the material and ask questions if something is unclear.

5. What should I do if I still don't understand the concept after trying different methods?

If you're still struggling to understand the concept, it may be helpful to seek additional support from a tutor, teacher, or mentor who can provide a different perspective and offer personalized guidance. Don't be afraid to ask for help when needed.