[itex]\lim_{n \to \infty} \sum_{1}^{n} 1/(n+i)=log(2)[/itex]

• Thread starter Onezimo Cardoso
  • Start date
Actually I’m still trying to see a way to find out this result and I’m doing my best to research in different sources. But you can feel free to send the method as well as the Liu Kang to kick myself...Unfortunately, I cannot provide the method or the answer until you have assured me that you have turned in the work for marking. It is important to learn how to solve problems and think critically on your own rather than rely on others for the answers. Keep working at it and I am sure you will find the solution soon!
Onezimo Cardoso

Homework Statement

Prove that [itex]\lim_{n \to \infty} \displaystyle \sum_{i=1}^{n} \frac{1}{n+i} = log(2)[/itex].

Homework Equations

[/B]
The Digamma Function [itex]\Psi(x)[/itex] can be written as:

[itex]\Psi (x) = \frac{d}{dx} \log(\Gamma(x))[/itex]

Or, equivalently, as

[itex]\Psi(x)=\displaystyle \sum_{l=1}^{k} \frac{1}{x-l}+\Psi(x-k)[/itex]

The Attempt at a Solution

I tried to put in Wolfram in order to get some hint about this problem and it showed that:

[itex]\displaystyle \sum_{i=1}^{n} \frac{1}{n+i} = \Psi(n+(i+1))-\Psi(1+i)[/itex]

Where [itex]\Psi (x) = \frac{d}{dx} \log(\Gamma(x))[/itex] is the digamma function as described in Relevant equations.

Physics news on Phys.org
Onezimo Cardoso said:

Homework Statement

Prove that [itex]\lim_{n \to \infty} \displaystyle \sum_{i=1}^{n} \frac{1}{n+i} = log(2)[/itex].

Homework Equations

[/B]

Or, equivalently, as

I tried to put in Wolfram in order to get some hint about this problem and it showed that:

[itex]\displaystyle \sum_{i=1}^{n} \frac{1}{n+i} = \Psi(n+(i+1))-\Psi(1+i)[/itex]

[itex]i[/itex] occurs as a summation index on the left. It therefore cannot appear as part of the result of doing the sum. So something is not correct here.

Where [itex]\Psi (x) = \frac{d}{dx} \log(\Gamma(x))[/itex] is the digamma function as described in Relevant equations.

The digamma function is defined in terms of the gamma function, which is the function which satisfies the recurrence relation [tex]
\Gamma(z + 1) = z \Gamma (z)[/tex] subject to [itex]\Gamma (1) = 1[/itex].

Last edited:
Onezimo Cardoso said:

Homework Statement

Homework Equations

[/B]

Or, equivalently, as

No: Wolfram Alpha did not show ##\sum_{i=1}^n 1/(n+i) = \Psi (n+i-1) - \Psi (i+1)##. WA is smart enough to know that a summation over all ##i## from 1 to ##n## cannot contain ##i## in its answer!

Anyway, getting the exact answer like that is not very useful. Another, much, much simpler method gets to the answer quickly and easily; unfortunately, the merest hint of how it works will immediately give away the whole answer.

Onezimo Cardoso said:

Homework Statement

Homework Equations

[/B]

Or, equivalently, as

That Wolfram result doesn't actually make sense, because there shouldn't be any [itex]i[/itex] in the result: [itex]i[/itex] is a dummy variable.

Just playing around, we can write the original series in this way:

[itex]\displaystyle \sum_{i=1}^n \frac{1}{n+i} = \displaystyle \sum_{i=n+1}^{2n} \frac{1}{i} = \displaystyle \sum_{i=1}^{2n} \frac{1}{i} - \displaystyle \sum_{i=1}^{n} \frac{1}{i}[/itex]

The harmonic series is defined by: [itex]H_n = \displaystyle \sum_{i=1}^n \frac{1}{i}[/itex], so we can write the sum as:

[itex]\displaystyle \sum_{i=1}^n \frac{1}{n+i} = H_{2n} - H_{n}[/itex]At this point, it seems that you could just use the asymptotic form of [itex]H_n[/itex] for large [itex]n[/itex].

Likes Onezimo Cardoso
stevendaryl said:
That Wolfram result doesn't actually make sense, because there shouldn't be any [itex]i[/itex] in the result: [itex]i[/itex] is a dummy variable.

Just playing around, we can write the original series in this way:

[itex]\displaystyle \sum_{i=1}^n \frac{1}{n+i} = \displaystyle \sum_{i=n+1}^{2n} \frac{1}{i} = \displaystyle \sum_{i=1}^{2n} \frac{1}{i} - \displaystyle \sum_{i=1}^{n} \frac{1}{i}[/itex]

The harmonic series is defined by: [itex]H_n = \displaystyle \sum_{i=1}^n \frac{1}{i}[/itex], so we can write the sum as:

[itex]\displaystyle \sum_{i=1}^n \frac{1}{n+i} = H_{2n} - H_{n}[/itex]At this point, it seems that you could just use the asymptotic form of [itex]H_n[/itex] for large [itex]n[/itex].

Very impressive view stevendaryl!

I’m trying to use different approaches to see this tricky result. By what you see I could, at least, make an algorithm in C language to check if it really converges to [itex]log(2) = 0.69314718[/itex] :

upload_2017-8-6_15-19-3.png

Onezimo Cardoso said:

I’m trying to use different approaches to see this tricky result. By what you see I could, at least, make an algorithm in C language to check if it really converges to [itex]log(2) = 0.69314718[/itex] :

View attachment 208443
Onezimo Cardoso said:

View attachment 208443

If you look at it the right way it is not tricky at all, and can be done without any use of a computer, or calculator, or anything.

Once you have assured me that you have turned in the work for marking, I will be happy to post the method. You will kick yourself once you see it!

Likes Onezimo Cardoso
Ray Vickson said:
If you look at it the right way it is not tricky at all, and can be done without any use of a computer, or calculator, or anything.

Once you have assured me that you have turned in the work for marking, I will be happy to post the method. You will kick yourself once you see it!

Actually I’m still trying to see a way to find out this result and I’m doing my best to research in different sources. But you can feel free to send the method as well as the Liu Kang to kick myself =)

Onezimo Cardoso said:
Actually I’m still trying to see a way to find out this result and I’m doing my best to research in different sources. But you can feel free to send the method as well as the Liu Kang to kick myself =)

I cannot send the method as long as the work has not yet been turned for marking. That would be against the PF rules.

@Ray Vickson: I don't think giving the hint of thinking about an approximating sum to an integral is too much of a hint.

Related to [itex]\lim_{n \to \infty} \sum_{1}^{n} 1/(n+i)=log(2)[/itex]

What is a limit?

A limit is a mathematical concept that represents the value that a function or sequence approaches as its input or index approaches a certain number or infinity. It does not necessarily mean that the function or sequence will reach that value, but that it gets closer and closer to it.

How do you calculate a limit?

To calculate a limit, you evaluate the function or sequence as the input or index approaches the given number or infinity. This can be done by plugging in values that are closer and closer to the given number, or by using algebraic techniques such as factoring, rationalizing, or simplifying.

What does the notation [itex]\lim_{n \to \infty}[/itex] mean?

This notation represents the limit of a sequence as its index approaches infinity. The [itex]n[/itex] represents the index or term number in the sequence, and the infinity symbol indicates that the index is approaching infinity.

Why is the sum [itex]\sum_{1}^{n} 1/(n+i)[/itex] used in this limit?

The sum is used because it represents a sequence that is approaching the given limit. As the index [itex]n[/itex] gets larger and approaches infinity, the sum gets closer and closer to the value of [itex]log(2)[/itex], which is the given limit.

What is the significance of [itex]log(2)[/itex] in this limit?

[itex]log(2)[/itex] is a mathematical constant that represents the natural logarithm of 2. In this limit, it is the value that the sum [itex]\sum_{1}^{n} 1/(n+i)[/itex] approaches as the index [itex]n[/itex] approaches infinity. It is also the solution to the equation [itex]e^{x}=2[/itex], where [itex]e[/itex] is the base of the natural logarithm.