It's a question of what to assume......

• Thread starter AR1399
  • Start date
In summary, the question is asking for the maximum possible area covered by the water sprinkler, assuming each droplet as a projectile with initial velocity v and an angle of 45 degrees. The formula used to solve this problem is the range formula in projectile motion, which is range = v^2 sin90 / g = v^2 / g. This results in an area of pi (v^4 / g^2). However, it is possible that the question has an error and the intended angle was not specified.
AR1399

Homework Statement

A water sprinkler sprinkles water all around it. If the velocity of water coming out is v, find the area around the sprinkler getting wet.[/B]

Homework Equations

In projectile motion,
Range = u^2 sin2(theta) / g

The Attempt at a Solution

What I did was to assume each droplet as a projectile with initial velocity v. Looking at it that way, the range of the droplet would be the radius of the circle of area getting wet.
Everything is fine, except that nothing is mentioned about angle of projection of droplets.
I assumed 45 degrees and got the right ans. in objective type qn, but if the same comes for subjective explained ans, then which angle do we assume?
With 45 degrees, my answer was -
Range = v^2 sin90 / g = v^2 / g
So area = pi (v^2 / g)^2 = pi (v^4 / g^2)[/B]

Physics news on Phys.org
I think the original question should read - " What is the maximum possible area covered by the water ? " .

Considering that , yes , angle taken would be 45° .

Likes AR1399
You can't assume any angle. The angle must have been omitted from the question by mistake. Alternatively, the question could have asked for the maximum possible area, which then implies 45°.

Likes AR1399
Hmmm...must be a qn error as u say. Anyway, thnx a lot for the help!

PeroK said:
You can't assume any angle. The angle must have been omitted from the question by mistake. Alternatively, the question could have asked for the maximum possible area, which then implies 45°.
As I read the intended meaning of the problem, the sprinkler head is spraying randomly at all angles -- a more or less spherical spray. This is weakly implied by the "all around it" clause.

FAQ: It's a question of what to assume......

1. What does "It's a question of what to assume..." mean?

The phrase "It's a question of what to assume..." is often used to express uncertainty or indecisiveness in a situation. It implies that there are multiple options or possibilities, but it is unclear which one is the correct or best choice.

2. How do you determine what to assume in a scientific experiment?

In a scientific experiment, assumptions are made based on existing knowledge, theories, and previous research. Scientists also use critical thinking and logic to determine what assumptions are necessary for their experiment.

3. Can assumptions in science be proven wrong?

Yes, assumptions in science can be proven wrong. In fact, the scientific process involves constantly testing and re-examining assumptions to ensure accuracy and validity. If new evidence or data emerges that contradicts an assumption, it may need to be revised or discarded.

4. Are assumptions necessary in science?

Assumptions are necessary in science as they help guide research and experiments. They allow scientists to make predictions and develop hypotheses, which can then be tested and refined to advance scientific knowledge.

5. What are some common assumptions in scientific research?

Common assumptions in scientific research include the assumption of causality (that one variable causes a change in another), the assumption of uniformity (that natural laws and processes are consistent across time and space), and the assumption of objectivity (that observations and measurements are unbiased and accurate).

Back