I've cut the isolated band of my earphones

• Thread starter Femme_physics
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Band Cut
In summary, the red wire is for + and the blue wire is for -. The wires are coated with a thin enamel coating and can be easily repaired.
Femme_physics
Gold Member
So I've cut the isolated band of my earphones to see what's inside (my cheap earphones quit working). I expected to see copper. And I have. But, there is also a red wire and a blue wire amongst the copper. At they dyed copper, or a different metal?

http://img199.imageshack.us/img199/4003/coppern.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Engineering news on Phys.org
Hey Fp! :smile:

Did you already try to see what's inside the red or blue wire?
Perhaps try to scrape off some of the red?

Oh, hehe...I didn't know it's 'scrapeable" ... they all appear to be copper! :biggrin:Thanks :wink:

Well, are they scrapeable?

I'd expect the red wire to be copper with red plastic around it for insulation.
Btw, red is the color code for plus, and blue is the color code for minus.

At very low voltages, insulation doesn't have to be too thick. Perhaps the wires were lightly shellacked and the shellac was dyed to give the assemblers color-codes to work with. If you scrape the wires with a sharp blade, there's probably copper under that coloring.

Hi FP! :smile: (לְשָׁנָה טוֹבָה)
I suspect the colored insulation you are seeing is a thin http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Enameled_wire" coating.
A common color scheme used on stereo headphones is red = + for chan_1 (e.g. left side), green = + for chan_2(e.g. right side), with copper wire (often coated with clear enamel for added protection from shorting) for (-) common ground.

You can easily repair your stereo headphones using a low wattage soldering iron. I have done this on a few headphones. You could scratch away the coating on the multi-stranded enamel coated wires, but they are very fragile and easily break. I found you can melt the enamel with the iron while tinning the underlying copper with solder. Then, if you use a hands-free soldering stand, you can keep the two adjoining wires close to one another as you solder them together. If you slip on some heat shrink tubing before soldering and careful placement of electrical tape, then voilà back in business. :smile:

Last edited by a moderator:

Related to I've cut the isolated band of my earphones

1. What should I do if I accidentally cut the isolated band of my earphones?

If you have accidentally cut the isolated band of your earphones, the first step is to assess the damage. If the cut is small and near the earbud, you can try using electrical tape to cover the cut and secure the wires. If the cut is significant or near the audio jack, it is best to replace the earphones altogether.

2. Can I repair the cut isolated band of my earphones myself?

It is not recommended to try to repair the cut isolated band of your earphones yourself, especially if you are not familiar with electronics. It is best to seek help from a professional or replace the earphones entirely.

3. How can I prevent the isolated band of my earphones from getting cut?

To prevent the isolated band of your earphones from getting cut, it is important to handle them with care. Avoid pulling or tugging on the wires, and store them properly when not in use. Additionally, investing in high-quality earphones with sturdy and durable materials can also help prevent cuts.

4. Will my earphones still work if the isolated band is cut?

Depending on the severity of the cut, your earphones may still work even if the isolated band is cut. However, the audio quality may be affected, and the earphones may not stay in place as well. It is best to replace the earphones to ensure optimal audio quality and functionality.

5. How long do earphones typically last before the isolated band gets cut?

The lifespan of earphones can vary depending on usage and care. However, with proper handling and storage, earphones can last anywhere from 6 months to 2 years before the isolated band gets cut. Investing in high-quality earphones and taking good care of them can help prolong their lifespan.

Back