IVP applications of second-order ODE

In summary, the given equation and initial conditions are used to solve the initial value problem for the case when Ω < ω. The resulting solution is x(t)=(Aω/(ω^2-Ω^2))[ωsin(Ωt)-Ωsin(ωt)], found using the method x(t)=x_h+x_p. The second part of the problem is to show that |x(t)| < H, given A < H(1-(Ω/ω)). This can be done by taking the absolute value of both sides of the solution equation and using an overestimate for A. It can then be shown that the resulting inequality is true.
zebrastripes

Homework Statement

Given the equation mx''+cx=cAsin(Ωt) with the initial conditions x(0)=0 and x'(0)=0.
Solve the initial value problem for the case when Ω < ω and show that |x(t)| < H provided
A < H(1-(Ω/ω)).

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

For my solution to the equation I got x(t)=(Aω/(ω^2-Ω^2))[ωsin(Ωt)-Ωsin(ωt)]

So, I'm hoping that this is right which I found using x(t)=x_h+x_p.
But I'm completely confused about the second part to show that |x(t)| < H provided
A < H(1-(Ω/ω)). :confused:

This is my first post here, so apologies if I'm not doing it right. :shy:
Thanks in advance.

Physics news on Phys.org
zebrastripes said:

Homework Statement

Given the equation mx''+cx=cAsin(Ωt) with the initial conditions x(0)=0 and x'(0)=0.
Solve the initial value problem for the case when Ω < ω and show that |x(t)| < H provided
A < H(1-(Ω/ω)).

The Attempt at a Solution

For my solution to the equation I got x(t)=(Aω/(ω^2-Ω^2))[ωsin(Ωt)-Ωsin(ωt)]

So, I'm hoping that this is right which I found using x(t)=x_h+x_p.
But I'm completely confused about the second part to show that |x(t)| < H provided
A < H(1-(Ω/ω)). :confused:

Good work so far; you are almost there. Take the absolute value of both sides of your ##x(t)## equatiion and use this:$$
|\omega \sin(\Omega t) - \Omega \sin(\omega t)|\le
|\omega| | \sin(\Omega t)| + |\Omega| | \sin(\omega t)|
\le \omega + \Omega$$and put in the overestimate given for A. See what drops out.

Ahh Ok, so it's my modulus work that's really poor!

I'm thinking you're equation changes mine to: Aω/(ω^2-Ω^2)<H(ω+Ω)

So with the substitution for A I get (ω-Ω)/(ω^2-Ω^2)<(ω+Ω)

So from this, could I finish by showing this is true? Or have I gone wrong again? I'm thinking that my Aω/(ω^2-Ω^2) should have changed when I was taking the modulus?

zebrastripes said:
Ahh Ok, so it's my modulus work that's really poor!

I'm thinking you're equation changes mine to: Aω/(ω^2-Ω^2)<H(ω+Ω)

The contraction "you're" is a short form of "you are". The possessive case is "your". Also, while I'm commenting on your post, I should point out that you never told us what ##\omega## stands for. Best not to leave definitions out.

You will have less trouble if you will write out your full string of inequalities. You have$$
x(t) = \frac{A\omega}{\omega^2-\Omega^2}(\omega \sin(\Omega t) - \Omega \sin(\omega t))$$Start by taking the absolute value of both sides:$$
|x(t)|=\left| \frac{A\omega}{\omega^2-\Omega^2} \right| |\omega \sin(\Omega t) - \Omega \sin(\omega t)| \le ...$$Now continue the string on the right using what you know so far.

Related to IVP applications of second-order ODE

1. What is an IVP application of a second-order ODE?

An IVP (initial value problem) application of a second-order ODE (ordinary differential equation) involves using a second-order ODE to model a real-world situation where the initial conditions are known. This allows us to find a specific solution to the equation that satisfies the given initial values.

2. How do we solve IVP applications of second-order ODEs?

There are several methods for solving IVP applications of second-order ODEs, including the Euler method, the Runge-Kutta method, and the Laplace transform method. These methods involve using numerical or analytical techniques to find a solution that satisfies the given initial conditions.

3. What are some common examples of IVP applications of second-order ODEs?

Some common examples of IVP applications of second-order ODEs include modeling the motion of a pendulum, the growth and decay of a population, and the behavior of an electrical circuit.

4. Why are IVP applications of second-order ODEs important in science?

IVP applications of second-order ODEs are important in science because they allow us to model and understand real-world phenomena. By finding solutions to these equations, we can make predictions and analyze the behavior of systems in various fields such as physics, biology, and engineering.

5. What are the limitations of using IVP applications of second-order ODEs?

One limitation of using IVP applications of second-order ODEs is that they may not accurately represent complex systems with multiple variables and changing conditions. Additionally, the initial conditions used in these applications may not always reflect the real-world situation accurately, leading to potential errors in the solution.