Jack Armel's Entropic Space-Time Theory

• Thread starter Gear300
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Space-time
In summary, the book discusses a theory by Jack Armel about space-time being charged with energy. The theory seems plausible, and may be related to the holographic principle.
Gear300
When looking through a few books, I ran into one by someone named Jack Armel. It was a theory he developed called "Entropic Space-Time" (also the title of the book). I've never heard (or remember hearing) this theory before...I'm presuming it did not carry out too far (it'd be helpful if someone confirmed this). The theory did not seem too crazy (though I only looked at the Table of Contents and the first chapter of the book); in the first chapter, I did find it interesting how he designated space-time as something with energy -- the structure of space-time was given a charge and was quantized. Does this concept of space-time extend into the heavier ongoing theories of today or is it just left as an arbitrary structure?

Physics news on Phys.org
I have a response to this, but I think I'm going to wait and see if someone more math savvy than me can give him a better one, first.

I'll be checking for responses.

Last edited:
no one?

I think that there are many researchers in QG today who think along these lines. Most notably are people who believe that spacetime is "emergent". In the same sense that thermodynamics is an emergent set of laws that emerge from a coarse graining of some microscopic degrees of freedom perhaps general relativity(and hence spacetime) is an emergent theory from some more fundamental theory(i.e. quantum gravity).

Does anyone know where to get in touch with Mr. Jack Armel?

Thanks in advance

The Google Books read is intriguing. Where else is this book discussed?

Well, I don't know much about it, but it sounds very similar to the holographic principle, which I know is taken seriously by certain branches of science. The best I can do is suggest a google search on "Hawking holographic principle". You can also check out books like, "The Black Hole War". As I said, I don't know much about it, but you may find these leads useful.

Related to Jack Armel's Entropic Space-Time Theory

1. What is Jack Armel's Entropic Space-Time Theory?

Jack Armel's Entropic Space-Time Theory is a scientific theory proposed by physicist Jack Armel. It suggests that space and time are not fundamental entities, but rather emerge from the interactions and entanglement of particles and energy. It also postulates that the arrow of time is a result of the increase of entropy in the universe.

2. How does this theory differ from other theories of space and time?

Unlike other theories, Jack Armel's Entropic Space-Time Theory does not consider space and time to be fundamental building blocks of the universe. Instead, it proposes that they are emergent properties of the interactions between particles and energy. This theory also offers an explanation for the arrow of time, which is not addressed by other theories.

3. What evidence supports this theory?

There is currently no direct evidence that supports Jack Armel's Entropic Space-Time Theory. However, it is consistent with other established theories, such as quantum mechanics and general relativity. Additionally, it offers explanations for phenomena that are not fully understood, such as the arrow of time and the nature of black holes.

4. How does this theory impact our understanding of the universe?

If Jack Armel's Entropic Space-Time Theory is proven to be true, it would significantly impact our understanding of the universe. It would challenge the notion that space and time are fundamental entities and provide a new perspective on the nature of the universe and its origins. It could also have practical applications in fields such as quantum computing and cosmology.

5. What are the potential implications of this theory?

If this theory is confirmed, it could have significant implications for our understanding of the fundamental laws of the universe. It could also lead to new developments in technology and provide a deeper understanding of the nature of time and space. Additionally, it could open up new avenues for research and exploration in fields such as cosmology, particle physics, and quantum mechanics.