Java NullPointerException in class using HashMap

• Comp Sci
  • Thread starter Kat3rina
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Class Java
In summary, the student is trying to implement a class ObjectCounter which has to include two methods. The first method has to increase the counter for a given object, and the second method has to get the current number of objects in the map. However, every time the student tries to call the add method, they get an NPE. The student has tried many different things, but none of them have worked. The student is looking for someone who can help them fix the NPE.
Kat3rina
1.Homework Statement +

Homework Equations

Hello,
I really need your help, because I'm a Java newbie and I've got stuck in this Java homework.
I should implement class ObjectCounter, which has to include two methods:

Code:
// increase the counter for given object
public void add(Object o)
// returns the current number of objects, i.e. current value of counter
public int getCount(Object o)

Implemented class ObjectCounter has to use the HashMap and all of it has to be called this way:

Code:
ObjectCounter objectCounter = new ObjectCounter(); 
objectCounter.add("hi"); 
// has to print 1
System.out.println(objectCounter.getCount("hi"));
// has to print 0
System.out.println(objectCounter.getCount("hello")); 
objectCounter.add("hi");
// has to print 2
System.out.println(objectCounter.getCount("hi")); 
objectCounter.add("hello"); 
// has to print 1
System.out.println(objectCounter.getCount("hello"));

The Attempt at a Solution

Code:
public class ObjectCounter {

private HashMap<Integer, Integer> map = new HashMap();

public void add(Object o) {
        int counter = getCount(o);
        if (counter == 0) {
            map.put(o.hashCode(), 1);
        } else {
            map.remove(o.hashCode());
            map.put(o.hashCode(), counter++);
        }
    }

public int getCount(Object o) {
        System.out.println(map.get(o.hashCode()));
        return map.get(o.hashCode());
    }
}

But it always ends with java.lang.NullPointerException, but I don't know how to repair it.

Thank you very much!

Physics news on Phys.org
The NullPointerException (NPE) comes from the automatic unboxing your getCount method performes. Since this method has been declared to return an int (a value object) any Integer you get from your map will (automatically by the compiler) be converted to an integer. However, when the Integer is null (like when the key is not found in the map) this conversion will throw NPE. You can fix this by adding a test in your getCount method so that when the key is not found in the map you return zero.

Let me also make the following comments:

You should most likely not use the hash code of objects as key, since that means two unrelated objects which by coincidence have the same hash code would be counted as the same object. Use the objects themselves as keys instead (you then also need to change the Map generic parameter for the key from Integer to Object). Also your HashMap instantiation should include templates, and it is considered good style to use the interface of a collection class instead of the implementation class. In total you then get the declaration "private Map<Object,Integer> map = new HashMap<Object,Integer>();"

You do not have to remove a key from your map before you update its value. You can just put the new key and value, and the old value will be removed automatically (in fact, put returns the old value if you need it).

When you have fixed your getCount method to properly return zero for objects not in the map, you do not have to test for zero in the add method. The body of the add method can be implemented in a single line, if you want to.

Last edited:
Your advice was really helpful!
Thank you so much!

Related to Java NullPointerException in class using HashMap

1. What is a Java NullPointerException?

A Java NullPointerException is an error that occurs when a variable or object is referenced without being assigned a value, resulting in a "null" value. This can happen in situations where the code is trying to access an object or method that does not exist.

2. What is a HashMap in Java?

A HashMap in Java is a data structure that stores key-value pairs, allowing for quick retrieval of values based on their associated keys. It is similar to a dictionary in other programming languages.

3. How does a HashMap relate to a Java NullPointerException?

A HashMap can trigger a Java NullPointerException if the code tries to access a value associated with a key that does not exist in the HashMap. This can happen if the key is not properly initialized or if the key-value pair was removed from the HashMap.

4. How can I prevent a Java NullPointerException when using a HashMap in a class?

To prevent a Java NullPointerException when using a HashMap in a class, you can make sure to properly initialize all keys and values before accessing them. You can also use conditional statements to check if a key or value exists in the HashMap before trying to retrieve it.

5. Are there any tools or techniques for debugging Java NullPointerExceptions in classes using HashMaps?

Yes, there are several tools and techniques for debugging Java NullPointerExceptions in classes using HashMaps. These include using a debugger, adding print statements to track the flow of the code, and writing tests to identify and fix the source of the error.