Jerk Equation: Calculating Profile from Speed Data

In summary, to calculate the jerk profile of a car, take the second derivative of the speed data. This can be done by finding the average acceleration over given intervals, which can then be used to find the jerk. The unit for jerk is m/s^3 and it can be interpreted as either a change in acceleration or a sudden change in velocity.
bradyj7
Hi there,

I time (seconds) and speed data for a journey in a car. I looking to get the jerk profile of the car. Jerk can be derived by taking the second derivative of the speed. Can some please show me an example of how to calculate it. Thank you
Some sample data is
Code:
time    speed
1           1
2           3
3           5
4          10
5          15 
6           21 
7           19
8           18 
9           22

Physics news on Phys.org
In order to get the jerk profile for a car, take the number of chrome rims and multiply it by the decibel level of the exhaust.

Sorry I couldn't help myself.

Your looking for the acceleration of the car. So take the difference in speed and divide by the difference in time. For example at time 4 your acceleration is 5 per 1 unit of time^2.

I though jerk is the second derivative of velocity and the first derivative of acceleration? So would I not have to get the derivative of that again. Say the unit for speed is m/s, therefore the acceleration is 5 m/s^2 and is the jerk 5m/s^3?

LostConjugate said:
In order to get the jerk profile for a car, take the number of chrome rims and multiply it by the decibel level of the exhaust.

Sorry I couldn't help myself.

You forgot the decibel level of the sound system.

Couldn't help it either.

bradyj7 said:
I though jerk is the second derivative of velocity and the first derivative of acceleration? So would I not have to get the derivative of that again. Say the unit for speed is m/s, therefore the acceleration is 5 m/s^2 and is the jerk 5m/s^3?

The problem is jerk is not a word in physics. I understand what your saying now. However, if you are traveling at a constant velocity and you accelerate, you will feel a jerk, so jerk is acceleration. Though if you are traveling at a constant acceleration and your acceleration changes you will also feel a jerk. So it can be taken to mean either situation.

LostConjugate said:
The problem is jerk is not a word in physics. I understand what your saying now. However, if you are traveling at a constant velocity and you accelerate, you will feel a jerk, so jerk is acceleration. Though if you are traveling at a constant acceleration and your acceleration changes you will also feel a jerk. So it can be taken to mean either situation.

Actually, jerk IS a word in physics: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jerk_(physics)

[tex]\vec j=\frac {\mathrm{d} \vec a} {\mathrm{d}t}=\frac {\mathrm{d}^2 \vec v} {\mathrm{d}t^2}=\frac {\mathrm{d}^3 \vec x} {\mathrm{d}t^3}[/tex]Getting back on topic, what I would do is find the average acceleration over the given intervals by taking the change in speed over time, then do the same thing with the acceleration to find the jerk.

ie:

Code:
time    accel
1-2     (3-1)/(2-1)
2-3     (5-3)/(3-2)
3-4     (10-5)/(4-3)
...         ...
...         ...
...         ...
...         ...

Related to Jerk Equation: Calculating Profile from Speed Data

1. What is the Jerk Equation?

The Jerk Equation is a mathematical formula that calculates the rate of change of acceleration over time. It is used to analyze the profile of an object's movement based on its speed data.

2. How is the Jerk Equation used in science?

The Jerk Equation is commonly used in physics and engineering to study the motion of objects. It helps scientists and engineers understand the changes in acceleration of an object and how it affects its movement.

3. What are the units of measurement for Jerk?

The units of measurement for Jerk are meters per second cubed (m/s^3) in the metric system and feet per second cubed (ft/s^3) in the imperial system.

4. Can the Jerk Equation be used for any type of movement?

Yes, the Jerk Equation can be used for any type of movement as long as there is speed data available. It is commonly used in studying the movement of objects such as vehicles, projectiles, and even living organisms.

5. How is the Jerk Equation calculated?

The Jerk Equation is calculated by taking the third derivative of the position function with respect to time. In simpler terms, it involves finding the rate of change of acceleration over time. The formula is expressed as jerk (J) = d^3x/dt^3, where x represents position and t represents time.