Jindal - Another one bites the dust?

• News
  • Thread starter LowlyPion
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Dust
In summary: Jindal say the stimulus package won't work?In summary, the national debut of Jindal was met with negative reviews. Critics say he appeared off-balance and at worst, downright amateur.
LowlyPion
Homework Helper
Jindal earns bad reviews in national debut
# Story Highlights
# Critics say Jindal appeared at best off-balance, at worst downright amateur
http://www.cnn.com/2009/POLITICS/02/25/jindal.reaction/?iref=mpstoryview

Is this the best the Republicans can offer? That was a train wreck last night. I think his sing-song condescending response was dreadful.

Sara Palin has pretty much soiled herself after getting demolished in the General Election. Michael Steele's grand strategy recently is to bring in the Hip-Hop vote? John Boehner can't look or act any more like some poster boy for No. And McCain is apparently just at loose ends - discredited in the election and more appreciated by Obama these days than the Republicans.

Does that just leave Mr. Oxycontin Limbaugh to tether this juggernaut Republican Blimp?

Or is it that Obama is simply head and shoulders beyond their abilities to inspire and persuade?

Perhaps the Republicans would be better served to nominate Obama next time as well, than embarrass themselves with any of these people? At least they will have a chance of winning the Presidential election anyway.

Physics news on Phys.org
Is there a law against the same candidate running for both parties?

Obama is an inexperienced president with a marginal resume that won because another president did a poor job. That hardly discredits another candidate. Obama has hardly been in office and he has chosen 2 tax evaders for offices, has driven up the national debt to historic levels, has ground the market to even lower levels (that's a vote of no confidence), and has asked to spend even more money.

What does he offer for the future? More poor decisions. Nice! Real nice!

There were a lot of other Democratic candidates and with a lot more experience than Obama. Why did voters pick him from among the other Democrats? That certainly wasn't due to the poor job of the president.

hokie1 said:
That hardly discredits another candidate.

Unfortunately Jindal came off as a condescending amatuer playing at politics with his inept remarks.

Even the Republicans have panned him.

Surely you don't think Jindal is made of Presidential timber?

hokie1 said:
Obama is an inexperienced president with a marginal resume that won because another president did a poor job. That hardly discredits another candidate. Obama has hardly been in office and he has chosen 2 tax evaders for offices, has driven up the national debt to historic levels, has ground the market to even lower levels (that's a vote of no confidence), and has asked to spend even more money.

What does he offer for the future? More poor decisions. Nice! Real nice!

He did that? In less than a month?

OAQfirst said:
He did that? In less than a month?
Obama is now responsible for all the market dynamics that were handed to him after 8 years of negligence. Didn't you get the memo?

*slaps forehead*

I was wondering who was responsible for this mess.

Thank you LowlyPion for the link. I just watched it for the first time. It seems a little strange to me that he would use the Bush administration's failure in the Katrina disaster as an argument why the current administration's rescue plan won't work.

skeptic2 said:
There were a lot of other Democratic candidates and with a lot more experience than Obama.
Not really. His primary competition had about the same level of experience.
Why did voters pick him from among the other Democrats? That certainly wasn't due to the poor job of the president.
It was largely due to his public speaking skills.

And no, he's not responsible for the recession or the current conditions of the stock market (well - arguably the last month), but he and congressional democrats are most certainly responsible for the stimulus package and the resulting unprecidented deficit.

russ_watters said:
Not really. His primary competition had about the same level of experience. It was largely due to his public speaking skills.

And no, he's not responsible for the recession or the current conditions of the stock market (well - arguably the last month), but he and congressional democrats are most certainly responsible for the stimulus package and the resulting unprecidented deficit.

~ It doesn't matter if it [the stimulus package] works. Economists, once we come out of this, will argue forever what did it; or this did it, or this did it... The Republicans opposed FDR to a man, and five decades later they finally came back in Congress.
- Sam Donaldson

Last night was like watching the Rolling Stones open for Air Supply. - Katie Couric

That speech was awful. It looked like it was written by committee.

About the delivery...very quirky. I really don't know much about Jindal. Does he always talk that way, with that odd delivery? Or was he just really nervous?

turbo-1 said:
Obama is now responsible for all the market dynamics that were handed to him after 8 years of negligence. Didn't you get the memo?

Thanks for the comment.

Did you get the memo that Enron, CA, Tyco, and the rest of the hooligans did their dirty deeds while Clinton was president? Did you get the memo that Obama's positive ratings have dropped as the so-called stimulus bill was Did you get the memo that the deficit is at a record high? Did you get the memo that the stock markets have reacted to the Democrat party by dropping? Did you get the memo that Obama has never run anything (hint for the challenged - he has been in the legislative branch, not the executive branch)?

Market dynamics - oooh. Big words. Negligence. Oooh.

I'm sure you also hold the House banking committee to the same negligence claim.

The stock market is dropping because they want everyone to get bailout money - just as there are no atheists in foxholes, there are no capitalists in an economic crisis [not when it's personal]. When the core problems with the housing and credit markets are resolved, the stock market will be fine.

"Deregulation" has been the battle cry for Republicans almost as long as I can remember. "Trust the markets! Trust the markets!" Now we see the results.

Trusting the markets makes as much sense as trusting a weather system to do the right thing.

Last edited:
From the OP link:

"Some conservative needs to start a campaign to fire whoever wrote this cheesy response and coached him to talk like this," wrote conservative columnist Amanda Carpenter on the popular social networking Web site Twitter. "I can't watch."

:smile:

Thread topic:
Jindal - Another one bites the dust?

What the hell Obama's policies etc doing in here?

lisab said:

About the delivery...very quirky. I really don't know much about Jindal. Does he always talk that way, with that odd delivery? Or was he just really nervous?

He doesn't look impressive IMO.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bobby_jindal

Ivan Seeking said:
The stock market is dropping because they want everyone to get bailout money - just as there are no atheists in foxholes, there are no capitalists in an economic crisis [not when it's personal].

"Deregulation" has been the battle cry for Republicans almost as long as I can remember. "Trust the markets! Trust the markets!" Now we see the results.

There are atheists in foxholes. Trust me on that one.

The market is not a free market. Despite that markets do whatever markets do. People have a tendency to do things like point to one issue and say voila. Hey wait a minute you did that! This complex issue is not about deregulation. It is about criminal acts (falsified loan applications), government regulation (via Barney Franks et al), speculation, greed, and now knee jerk reactions that are tossing good money after bad.

So to say this is proof or the need to a particular action is rather unfounded. What is clear is that this stimulus package is a mixed bag of yuck which few people see as worthy. It is being pushed by a president and party that will repeat history. For decades the Republicans did not have power. When they got it they did some dumb *** things. Now the Democrats have the power and are showing how to be a dumb *** in record time.

Ivan Seeking said:
... just as there are no atheists in foxholes...

I know you were just joking when you said that. So it's cool.

Lowly Pion said:

I'm supporting Jindal in 2012. If America is attacked by demons, he'll know what to do. Palin is an amateur.

Bobby Jindal's Story about Demons and Spiritual Warfare

russ_watters said:
Not really. His primary competition had about the same level of experience.

True, Hillary didn't have much more experience than Obama. Why then did they become the front runners over Biden, Dodd, Richardson, Edwards, and Kucinich?

russ_watters said:
It was largely due to his public speaking skills.

Is that all it was?

Politics is anything but an ability contest. How often are politicians convicted of crimes while holding office re-elected? How often does an issue unrelated to the job cause a person to lose their elected position?

Hillary actually had a heap more experience than Obama. She worked under her husband. Her downfall was that she had experience and Obama pointed out what she did and called it wrong. Who could do that to Obama who had no experience?

Look at his 2 years as a Senator. (Yes, I can count) He did nothing of interest. He did not write any noteworthy legislation. Now he is the president and suddenly he claims right and everyone opposing him is playing politics. That is such a silly claim. Of course he is playing politics, too.

hokie1 said:
Did you get the memo that Enron, CA, Tyco, and the rest of the hooligans did their dirty deeds while Clinton was president? Did you get the memo that Obama's positive ratings have dropped as the so-called stimulus bill was Did you get the memo that the deficit is at a record high? Did you get the memo that the stock markets have reacted to the Democrat party by dropping? Did you get the memo that Obama has never run anything (hint for the challenged - he has been in the legislative branch, not the executive branch)?

Sorry. I'm not on Rush Limbaugh's mailing list.

The facts of the matter are that the Republicans have systematically undermined regulatory oversight and let the thieves into the larder. They have violated the very understanding that the founding fathers had about the need for checks and balances. And now Bush and Cheney are skulking in retirement. History will clearly lay the blame at their feet, despite the most earnest efforts of people like Limbaugh to write it differently.

LowlyPion said:
Unfortunately Jindal came off as a condescending amatuer playing at politics with his inept remarks.

Even the Republicans have panned him.

Just testing the waters...expect to see a variety of new faces with a common theme...made mistakes and a return to basics.

Adeimantus said:
I'm supporting Jindal in 2012. If America is attacked by demons, he'll know what to do. Palin is an amateur.

Bobby Jindal's Story about Demons and Spiritual Warfare

Well I know for one thing if anyone holds a Bible to my forehead if I'm wracked in pain they can expect a few curses from me too, and I am certain that it will not be the Devil working my tongue, then or now.

Apparently his simplified world view, which apparently leaked over into his condescending recitation after Obama's eloquence, is mined from the same rich vein of simpleton-ness that grips Palin.

Where are the Republican intellectuals? Have they all been driven from the tent?

hokie1 said:
Look at his 2 years as a Senator. (Yes, I can count) He did nothing of interest. He did not write any noteworthy legislation. Now he is the president and suddenly he claims right and everyone opposing him is playing politics. That is such a silly claim. Of course he is playing politics, too.

Aside from voting against slavery Lincoln didn't have that productive a legislative career. Writing noteworthy legislation is a rather curious metric to judge a leader. What legislation did Washington initiate before becoming President?

What has Jindal or Palin accomplished for that matter?

Are these the only contenders the Republicans can muster?

hokie1 said:
Did you get the memo that the deficit is at a record high?

How can you possibly expect anyone to take you seriously after saying something like that? So Obama is responsible for the deficit he inherited when he took office?

lisab said:

I'm glad other people noticed. To me it was condescending and insincere.

I talked to a friend from La and he says it's not Jindal's typical style, but he's already in poor standings with me.

Jon Stewart on the Daily Show compared Jindal's delivery to Mr. Roberts Neighborhood.

Others have compared him to 30 Rock's Kenneth the Page.
http://www.chicagotribune.com/business/columnists/chi-talk-kennethfeb26,0,5950447.column
http://blogs.abcnews.com/thenote/2009/02/kenneth-the-pag.html

And where is Jindal now after his triumphal moment in the national spotlight?
Jindal was headed to Disney World yesterday with his family for a vacation.
http://www.boston.com/news/nation/articles/2009/02/26/critics_rip_governor_jindals_response/
(Perhaps to ride a maglev train?)

Btw, this was the lead paragraph about his speech in the Globe:
Insane. Childish. Disaster.

Last edited by a moderator:
Ivan Seeking said:
The stock market is dropping because they want everyone to get bailout money - just as there are no atheists in foxholes, there are no capitalists in an economic crisis [not when it's personal].
'They' is 84 million Americans
http://www.ici.org/pdf/rpt_02_equity_owners.pdf

When the core problems with the housing and credit markets are resolved, the stock market will be fine. ...
Housing & credit are surely one major problem. That does not mean others can not be created, like substantially raising income, capital, and dividend taxes in a recession (tax year '09) as was just announced.

russ_watters said:
Not really. His primary competition had about the same level of experience. It was largely due to his public speaking skills.

Bill Richardson has the same level of experience as Barack Obama? :devil:

LowlyPion said:
And where is Jindal now after his triumphal moment in the national spotlight?
Jindal was headed to Disney World yesterday with his family for a vacation.

You criticize the guy for taking his kids to Disney World? That's low.

Some particularly ironic stupidity from Jindal:
The governor, a rising Republican star, questioned why "something called 'volcano monitoring' " was included in the nearly $800 billion economic stimulus bill Obama signed earlier this month.

"Instead of monitoring volcanoes, what Congress should be monitoring is the eruption of spending in Washington," Jindal said.

http://www.cnn.com/2009/POLITICS/02/25/jindal.volcanoes/?iref=mpstoryview

Ironic in the sense that his state was the one devastated by a largely preventable natural disaster.

mheslep said:
'They' is 84 million Americans
http://www.ici.org/pdf/rpt_02_equity_owners.pdf

Are you aware of the timeline and events that led to the drop on wall street. Recall that the crash began to occur when Congress refused to pass the bailout bill the first time.

Housing & credit are surely one major problem. That does not mean others can not be created, like substantially raising income, capital, and dividend taxes in a recession (tax year '09) as was just announced.

Yes, and a meteor could hit the planet, but that has nothing to do with the current problems. Fix the source of the problem and the rest will take care of itself. The stock markets will remain volatile until the credit and housing markets are stable.

I really find this all quite amazing. The Republicans have all but destroyed the world's economy but people still defend their model. Reminds me a bit of defending bloodletting or astrology - in spite of the evidence, we still find the faithful.

Last edited:
LowlyPion said:
Aside from voting against slavery Lincoln didn't have that productive a legislative career. Writing noteworthy legislation is a rather curious metric to judge a leader. What legislation did Washington initiate before becoming President?

What has Jindal or Palin accomplished for that matter?

Are these the only contenders the Republicans can muster?

You lost me with Washington...I think he proved himself as a leader prior to his Presidency.

As for Lincoln, I think you need to consider the communications capabilities of the day. In Lincoln's time, it might take a year to transmit a single message...now we have worldwide daily press conferences. It's one of the reasons Lincoln traveled and made so many speeches. Had the entire population been able to HEAR his message directly...the Civil War may not have been fought...or at least on a smaller scale.

If you recall, one of his ideas to END slavery was to pay all of the slave owners a fair price for their "legal property". Offering compensation, so as not to cause a total loss, may have been appealing to many in the South and likewise appeal to a sense of fairness to Northern opposition. The idea was rejected in both the north and south because it was misunderstood by the people.

If you step back farther and put the issue into greater focus, cheap labor was needed both in the fields of the south and the factories of the north. By fighting the war, the south lost their cheap labor force at tremendous cost. After the war, many free black men went north to work in factories (and sometimes in worse conditions than at the plantations).

NEW YORK - Wall Street set aside some of its worries about the financial system Thursday as governments stepped up efforts to help struggling banks.

Stocks rose moderately, extending a back-and-forth pattern shown throughout the week. The gyrations are revealing investors’ indecision rather than big shifts in sentiment over the economy — they are still looking down a long list of concerns about the recession and the stability of banks.

...“At the moment, economic data are not that crucial, at least from the market reactions,” Knapp said. He said some investors are starting to regard the numbers as not likely to get much worse, even if they don’t improve for some time...
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/3683270/

Back