John-117's question at Yahoo Answers regarding a Cauchy-Euler equation

• MHB
  • Thread starter MarkFL
  • Start date
In summary, mark provided a summary of the content and explained that the substitution of x+3=e^t transformed the ODE into a linear homogeneous equation with constant coefficients. Differentiating with respect to t, the solution was found to be y(x)=y_1(x)+y_2(x)=\frac{c_1\cos(2\ln(x+3))+c_2 \sin(2\ln(x+3))}{x+3}.
MarkFL
Gold Member
MHB
Here is the question:

Cauchy-euler [[ (x+3)^2 y'' + 3(x+3)y' +5y = 0 , x+3>0 ]] general solution?

I tried the [[ y = x^m, y' = mx^m-1, y'' = m(m-1)*x^m-2 ]] but when I do it the x don't cancel. Please explain and show steps, thank you.

I have given a link to the topic there so the OP can see my work.

Mathematics news on Phys.org
Hello John-117,

We are given the Cauchy-Euler equation:

(1) \(\displaystyle (x+3)^2y''+3(x+3)y'+5y=0\) where \(\displaystyle 0<x+3\)

Making the substitution:

\(\displaystyle x+3=e^t\)

will transform the ODE into an equation with constant coefficients.

It follows from the chain rule that:

\(\displaystyle \frac{dy}{dt}=\frac{dy}{dx}\frac{dx}{dt}=\frac{dy}{dx}e^t=(x+3)\frac{dy}{dx}\)

and hence:

(2) \(\displaystyle (x+3)\frac{dy}{dx}=\frac{dy}{dt}\)

Differentiating this with respect to $t$, we find from the product rule that:

\(\displaystyle \frac{d^2y}{dt^2}=\frac{d}{dt}\left((x+3)\frac{dy}{dx} \right)=(x+3)\frac{d}{dt}\left(\frac{dy}{dx} \right)+\frac{dx}{dt}\frac{dy}{dx}=\)

\(\displaystyle (x+3)\frac{d^2y}{dx^2}\frac{dx}{dt}+\frac{dy}{dt}=(x+3)^2\frac{d^2y}{dx^2}+\frac{dy}{dt}\)

and hence:

(3) \(\displaystyle (x+3)^2\frac{d^2y}{dx^2}=\frac{d^2y}{dt^2}-\frac{dy}{dt}\)

Substituting into (1), the expressions in (2) and (3), we obtain:

\(\displaystyle \frac{d^2y}{dt^2}-\frac{dy}{dt}+3\frac{dy}{dt}+5y=0\)

Collecting like terms, we obtain:

(4) \(\displaystyle \frac{d^2y}{dt^2}+2\frac{dy}{dt}+5y=0\)

The characteristic roots are:

\(\displaystyle r=-1\pm2i\)

and so the general solution to (4) is:

\(\displaystyle y(t)=e^{-t}\left(c_1\cos(2t)+c_2\sin(2t) \right)\)

Back-substituting for $t$, we obtain:

\(\displaystyle y(x)=\frac{c_1\cos\left(2\ln(x+3) \right)+c_2\sin\left(2\ln(x+3) \right)}{x+3}\)

Thanks mark, our teacher never went over substitutions for these equations.

Why did you pick e^t for the substitution? and where does the final answer's (...)/x+3 come from?

Hello john96,

As you can see in my second post above, using the substitution:

\(\displaystyle x+3=e^t\)

transforms the ODE into a linear homogeneous ODE, that is, an equation with constant coefficients, via (2) and (3).

This substitution then implies:

\(\displaystyle e^{-t}=\frac{1}{x+3}\) and \(\displaystyle t=\ln(x+3)\)

which I back-substituted into the general solution for (4). Are you asking where the general solution to (4) comes from?

I mean that you didn't use a generic variable substitution such as x or u, would those not wwork out?
Thanks.

No, simply replacing one variable with another would not give you a linear quation with constant coefficients.

Another method for finding solutions to a homogeneous Cauchy-Euler equation involves guessing a solution of the form $y=x^r$, which leads to an auxiliary equation for $r$. However, there is often an advantage in making the substitution $x=e^t$ when trying to solve an inhomogeneous Cauchy-Euler equation by the methods of undetermined coefficients or Laplace transforms.

Let's look at what happens in your posted problem if we guess a solution of the form:

\(\displaystyle y(x)=(x+3)^r\)

Differentiating with respect to $x$ using the power rule, we find:

\(\displaystyle y'(x)=r(x+3)^{r-1}\)

\(\displaystyle y''(x)=r(r-1)(x+3)^{r-2}\)

Now, substituting into the ODE, we find:

\(\displaystyle (x+3)^2\left(r(r-1)(x+3)^{r-2} \right)+3(x+3)\left(r(x+3)^{r-1} \right)+5(x+3)^r=0\)

Factoring, we obtain:

\(\displaystyle (x+3)^r\left(r(r-1)+3r+5 \right)=0\)

Dividing through by \(\displaystyle 0<(x+3)^r=y(x)\), thereby eliminating the trivial solution $y(x)\equiv0$, we obtain:

\(\displaystyle r^2+2r+5=0\)

Application of the quadratic formula gives us:

\(\displaystyle r=-1\pm2i\)

from which it follows that the ODE has the two linearly independent solutions:

\(\displaystyle y_1(x)=c_1(x+3)^{-1+2i}\)

\(\displaystyle y_2(x)=c_2(x+3)^{-1-2i}\)

We may now use Euler's formula as follows:

\(\displaystyle x^{\alpha+\beta i}=e^{(\alpha+\beta i)\ln(x)}=e^{\alpha\ln(x)}\left(\cos(\beta\ln(x)+i\sin(\beta\ln(x)) \right)\)

Since the real and imaginary parts of \(\displaystyle (x+3)^{-1\pm2i}\) must also be solutions to the ODE, we may replace our two linearly independent solutions with:

\(\displaystyle y_1(x)=c_1e^{-\ln(x+3)}\cos(2\ln(x+3))=\frac{c_1\cos(2\ln(x+3))}{x+3}\)

\(\displaystyle y_2(x)=c_2e^{-\ln(x+3)}\sin(2\ln(x+3))=\frac{c_2\sin(2\ln(x+3))}{x+3}\)

And so the general solution is:

\(\displaystyle y(x)=y_1(x)+y_2(x)=\frac{c_1\cos(2\ln(x+3))+c_2 \sin(2\ln(x+3))}{x+3}\)

Oh okay thanks a load! My teacher only showed us that second way, so I couldn't follow the first method.

FAQ: John-117's question at Yahoo Answers regarding a Cauchy-Euler equation

1. What is a Cauchy-Euler equation?

A Cauchy-Euler equation is a type of differential equation that can be written in the form axny(n) + bx(n-1)y(n-1) + ... + kxy = 0, where a, b, ..., k are constants and y(n) denotes the nth derivative of y with respect to x. This type of equation is named after the mathematicians Augustin-Louis Cauchy and Leonhard Euler.

2. Who is John-117 and why is he asking about a Cauchy-Euler equation?

John-117 is a character in the popular video game series, Halo. He is a super soldier also known as Master Chief and is known for his intelligence and strategic thinking. It is likely that he is asking about a Cauchy-Euler equation as part of a puzzle or challenge within the game.

3. What is the significance of a Cauchy-Euler equation in science?

Cauchy-Euler equations have various applications in mathematics, physics, and engineering. They are used to model a wide range of phenomena, such as population growth, heat transfer, and oscillations in mechanical systems. They are also important in understanding the behavior of linear systems and in solving boundary value problems.

4. How is a Cauchy-Euler equation solved?

There are several methods for solving a Cauchy-Euler equation, including the method of undetermined coefficients, the method of reduction of order, and the method of variation of parameters. The specific method used depends on the form of the equation and the initial or boundary conditions given.

5. Are there any real-world examples of Cauchy-Euler equations?

Yes, Cauchy-Euler equations can be used to model real-world phenomena such as the spread of diseases, the growth of plant populations, and the vibrations of a guitar string. They are also used in engineering to understand the behavior of structures and systems.

Back