JoHn eDwArd's question at Yahoo Answers regarding an indefinite integral

In summary, the integral of (x^3 + 2x + sin x) e^(3x) dx can be evaluated using integration by parts or by treating it as a differential equation. The final solution is given by \frac{1}{3} \left( x^3 + 2x \right) e^{3x} - \frac{1}{9} \left( 3x^2 + 2 \right) e^{3x} + \frac{2}{9}x\,e^{3x} - \frac{2}{27}e^{3x} + \frac{3}{10}\sin{(x)}e^{3x} - \frac{1
MarkFL
Gold Member
MHB
Here is the question:

How to get the integral of (x^3 + 2x + sin x) e^(3x) dx?

please include the complete solution. thanks

I have posted a link there to this topic so the OP can see my work.

Mathematics news on Phys.org
Hello joHn eDwArd,

We are given to evaluate:

\(\displaystyle \int\left(x^3+2x+\sin(x) \right)e^{3x}\,dx\)

I would write:

\(\displaystyle y=\int\left(x^3+2x+\sin(x) \right)e^{3x}\,dx\)

Now, differentiating with respect to $x$, we obtain the ODE:

\(\displaystyle \frac{dy}{dx}=\left(x^3+2x+\sin(x) \right)e^{3x}\)

We see the homogeneous solution is:

\(\displaystyle y_h(x)=c_1\)

and, using the method of undetermined coefficients, we should expect a particular solution of the form:

\(\displaystyle y_p(x)=\left(Ax^3+Bx^2+Cx+D+E\cos(x)+F\sin(x) \right)e^{3x}\)

Differentiating with respect to $x$ and substituting into the ODE, we obtain after dividing though by $e^{3x}$:

\(\displaystyle 3Ax^3+(3A+3B)x^2+(2B+3C)x+(C+3D)+(3F-E)\sin(x)+(3E+F)\cos(x)=x^3+2x+\sin(x)\)

Equating coefficients, we find:

\(\displaystyle 3A=1\,\therefore\,A=\frac{1}{3}\)

\(\displaystyle 3A+3B=0\,\therefore\,B=-A=-\frac{1}{3}\)

\(\displaystyle 2B+3C=2\,\therefore\,C=\frac{8}{9}\)

\(\displaystyle C+3D=0\,\therefore\,D=-\frac{C}{3}=-\frac{8}{27}\)

\(\displaystyle 3F-E=1\)

\(\displaystyle 3E+F=0\,\therefore\,E=-\frac{1}{10},\,F=\frac{3}{10}\)

And so we have:

\(\displaystyle y_p(x)=\left(\frac{1}{3}x^3-\frac{1}{3}x^2+\frac{8}{9}x-\frac{8}{27}-\frac{1}{10}\cos(x)+\frac{3}{10}\sin(x) \right)e^{3x}\)

\(\displaystyle y_p(x)=\frac{e^{3x}}{270}\left(90x^3-90x^2+240x-80-27\cos(x)+81\sin(x) \right)\)

And so by superposition, we have:

\(\displaystyle y(x)=y_h(x)+y_p(x)\)

Hence, we may conclude:

\(\displaystyle \int\left(x^3+2x+\sin(x) \right)e^{3x}\,dx=\frac{e^{3x}}{270}\left(90x^3-90x^2+240x-80-27\cos(x)+81\sin(x) \right)+C\)

MarkFL said:
Here is the question:
I have posted a link there to this topic so the OP can see my work.

Here's how I would do the problem:

\(\displaystyle \displaystyle \begin{align*} \int{ \left[ x^3 + 2x + \sin{(x)} \right] e^{3x}\,dx} = \int{ \left( x^3 + 2x \right) e^{3x} \,dx} + \int{ \sin{(x)}e^{3x}\,dx} \end{align*}\)

So now we can evaluate each integral by using Integration by Parts.

[tex]\displaystyle \begin{align*} \int{ \left( x^3 + 2x \right) e^{3x}\,dx} &= \frac{1}{3} \left( x^3 + 2x \right) e^{3x} - \int{ \frac{1}{3} \left( 3x^2 + 2 \right) e^{3x}\,dx } \\ &= \frac{1}{3} \left( x^3 + 2x \right) e^{3x} - \frac{1}{3} \left[ \frac{1}{3} \left( 3x^2 + 2 \right) e^{3x} - \int{ \frac{1}{3} \left( 6x \right) e^{3x} \,dx } \right] \\ &= \frac{1}{3} \left( x^3 + 2x \right) e^{3x} - \frac{1}{9} \left( 3x^2 + 2 \right) e^{3x} + \frac{2}{3} \int{ x\,e^{3x}\,dx} \\ &= \frac{1}{3} \left( x^3 + 2x \right) e^{3x} - \frac{1}{9} \left( 3x^2 + 2 \right) e^{3x} + \frac{ 2}{3} \left[ \frac{1}{3} x\,e^{3x} - \int{ \frac{1}{3} e^{3x}\,dx } \right] \\ &= \frac{1}{3} \left( x^3 + 2x \right) e^{3x} - \frac{1}{9} \left( 3x^2 + 2 \right) e^{3x} + \frac{2}{9}x\,e^{3x} - \frac{2}{9} \int{ e^{3x}\,dx} \\ &= \frac{1}{3} \left( x^3 + 2x \right) e^{3x} - \frac{1}{9} \left( 3x^2 + 2 \right) e^{3x} + \frac{2}{9}x\,e^{3x} - \frac{2}{27}e^{3x} \end{align*}[/tex]

and

[tex]\displaystyle \begin{align*} I &= \int{\sin{(x)}e^{3x}\,dx} \\ I &= \frac{1}{3}\sin{(x)}e^{3x} - \int{ \frac{1}{3}\cos{(x)}e^{3x}\,dx } \\ I &= \frac{1}{3}\sin{(x)}e^{3x} - \frac{1}{3} \int{ \cos{(x)}e^{3x}\,dx} \\ I &= \frac{1}{3}\sin{(x)}e^{3x} - \frac{1}{3} \left[ \frac{1}{3}\cos{(x)}e^{3x} - \int{ -\frac{1}{3}\sin{(x)}e^{3x}\,dx } \right] \\ I &= \frac{1}{3}\sin{(x)}e^{3x} - \frac{1}{9}\cos{(x)}e^{3x} - \frac{1}{9}\int{\sin{(x)}e^{3x}\,dx} \\ I &= \frac{1}{3}\sin{(x)}e^{3x} - \frac{1}{9}\cos{(x)}e^{3x} - \frac{1}{9} I \\ \frac{10}{9}I &= \frac{1}{3}\sin{(x)}e^{3x} - \frac{1}{9}\cos{(x)}e^{3x} \\ I &= \frac{9}{10} \left[ \frac{1}{3}\sin{(x)}e^{3x} - \frac{1}{9}\cos{(x)}e^{3x} \right] \\ I &= \frac{3}{10}\sin{(x)}e^{3x} - \frac{1}{10}\cos{(x)}e^{3x} \end{align*}[/tex]

Therefore [tex]\displaystyle \begin{align*} \int{ \left[ x^3 + 2x + \sin{(x)} \right] e^{3x}\,dx}\end{align*}[/tex]

[tex]\displaystyle \begin{align*} = \frac{1}{3} \left( x^3 + 2x \right) e^{3x} - \frac{1}{9} \left( 3x^2 + 2 \right) e^{3x} + \frac{2}{9}x\,e^{3x} - \frac{2}{27}e^{3x} + \frac{3}{10}\sin{(x)}e^{3x} - \frac{1}{10}\cos{(x)}e^{3x} + C \end{align*}[/tex]

Prove It said:
Here's how I would do the problem:...

I truly appreciate you taking the time to present this so nicely! The OP is probably expected to use IBP here, but I got "lazy" and decided to treat it as an ODE instead. (Wasntme)

MarkFL said:
I truly appreciate you taking the time to present this so nicely! The OP is probably expected to use IBP here, but I got "lazy" and decided to treat it as an ODE instead. (Wasntme)

Don't worry Mark, your solution is quite beautiful, and you weren't the only lazy one. I could not be arsed taking out common factors and collecting like terms (if there are any) hahaha.

Related to JoHn eDwArd's question at Yahoo Answers regarding an indefinite integral

1. What is an indefinite integral?

An indefinite integral is a mathematical operation that represents the antiderivative of a function. It is used to find the original function when only its derivative is known.

2. How do you solve an indefinite integral?

To solve an indefinite integral, you need to use integration techniques such as substitution, integration by parts, or trigonometric substitution. You can also use online tools or calculators to solve indefinite integrals.

3. What is the difference between an indefinite integral and a definite integral?

The main difference is that a definite integral has specific limits of integration, while an indefinite integral does not. This means that a definite integral will give a numerical value, while an indefinite integral will give an equation.

4. Is there a general formula for indefinite integrals?

Yes, the general formula for indefinite integrals is ∫(f(x)dx) = F(x) + C, where F(x) is the antiderivative of f(x) and C is the constant of integration. However, this formula may not work for all functions and integration techniques may be needed.

5. How do indefinite integrals relate to real-life applications?

Indefinite integrals are used in various fields such as physics, engineering, and economics to solve problems involving rates of change, accumulation, and optimization. They are also used in calculating areas and volumes of irregular shapes.