John Lennon's killer denied parole for 5th time

• Thread starter Evo
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Time
In summary, the parole board denied parole to John Lennon's killer, Mark David Chapman, because they believe he is a threat to society. They said that he has shown no remorse for the murder and that he is still a danger to the public.
Evo
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Do you really think that their reason that he's a still a threat to scociety is valid? Or are they denying him parole because

1) The public outcry if he was set free

2) Some nut would kill him before the end of the week, for killing Lennon?

ALBANY, N.Y. - John Lennon's killer was denied parole for a fifth time Tuesday by a board that said he remains a threat to the public. Mark David Chapman will remain in New York's Attica Correctional Facility for at least two more years for gunning down the former Beatle nearly three decades ago on a Manhattan sidewalk.

Chapman, 53, has been in prison for 27 years since pleading guilty to the murder, which he has said he committed to gain attention. He became eligible for parole in 2000 after serving 20 years of a maximum life sentence.

In a one-page decision issued after Chapman's appearance Tuesday, parole board members said they denied his parole "due to concern for the public safety and welfare."

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20080812/ap_on_re_us/chapman_parole

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Presumably if he killed Lennon to gain attention then he was no further menace to society as soon as he did it?
I think someone doesn't want their career tagged with 'freed the man who killed Lennon'

Both reasons, but I would say mainly reason #2.

Evo said:
Do you really think that their reason that he's a still a threat to scociety is valid? Or are they denying him parole because

1) The public outcry if he was set free

2) Some nut would kill him before the end of the week, for killing Lennon?

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20080812/ap_on_re_us/chapman_parole

Honestly, I don't care what their reason is so long as he rots in a jail cell. Killing someone just to gain some fame is probably one of the lowest things you could do.

I don't see why he should even have any right to parole in the first place. That seems like a luxury.

Last edited by a moderator:
LENIN? Oh, Lennon. Screw him.

mgb_phys said:
Presumably if he killed Lennon to gain attention then he was no further menace to society as soon as he did it?

You can say that about most murderers. When a husband finds his wife sleeping with another man so he shoots one or both of them, he's probably not going to murder again, since he took out his anger on the people who caused it. But then we could all just kill each other and say "But I won't do it again!" and that would be it. So that's irrelevant.

But no doubt he's safer in prison. And no doubt nobody wants to have their name associated with releasing him from prison.

WarPhalange said:
LENIN? Oh, Lennon. Screw him.
Don't speak ill of the dead.

Unless you really mean it

cristo said:
Don't speak ill of the dead.

He's right. Hurray, Hitler!

From the Yahoo article -
The parole board said the although Chapman has had a clean disciplinary record since 1994, he told board members during the hearing that he planned and conducted Lennon's killing "with an essentially clear mind."
Does anyone want to volunteer to take this guy in, or perhaps as a nextdoor neighbor?

But then his expression was 14 yeas ago. I wonder what he told the parole board recently.

Most politicians want to appear to be tough on crime, and that leaves little room for leniency.

Then there is always the concern about whether or not an individual who has committed a homicide has reformed or rehabilitated. It's one thing to commit a crime in state of passion, and be truly remorseful, but its another to cooly plan and commit a homicide, and then be indifferent afterwards.

I think he most certainly is a danger to society still.

He became eligible for parole, so the parole board should treat him like they would anyone else who came before them. If they aren't letting him out because they were Beatles fans or for any reason other than they don't feel he meets the requirements to be paroled then it is a travesty. I loved John Lennon and the Beatles and hate Chapman and I hope he rots in jail, but if we are going to brag about our justice system then it needs to be just.

tribdog said:
He became eligible for parole, so the parole board should treat him like they would anyone else who came before them. If they aren't letting him out because they were Beatles fans or for any reason other than they don't feel he meets the requirements to be paroled then it is a travesty. I loved John Lennon and the Beatles and hate Chapman and I hope he rots in jail, but if we are going to brag about our justice system then it needs to be just.

Is parole a right? If not, they can laugh at his face and tell him to go back into his hole.

Cyrus said:
Is parole a right? If not, they can laugh at his face and tell him to go back into his hole.

When he was sentenced he was given life in prison, with the possibility of parole after this many years. The possibility of parole is a court order and he HAS to be given a fair chance at it. If he is being rejected as a matter of fact, regardless of the situation, then he is not being given the possibility of parole and that is criminal. No body will ever be prosecuted for it, because they make sure they march him to the parole board and let him have his say before they reject him.

I think 53 is still young to let him go. He's still going to live out another 20 years (probably). I would say his no longer a threat when he's near the end of his life (Late 60s-mid 70s).

Without knowing his behiavor while in jail, its hard to say if he's a threat or not still.

This reminds me of the movie A Clockwork Orange.

Cyrus said:

Specifically everyone is guaranteed equal protection under the law by the 14th Amendment. While the amendment may have been intended to right the wrongs of racial issues arising after the Civil War, its terms are generally extended to ensure that all laws are equally applied.

If Chapman has the right to be considered for parole, then such consideration cannot be unequally given as to his status within the corrections system merely because his was a high profile case, but must rather be decided on more general grounds as they would any prisoner serving the same or similar sentence, exhibiting similar behavior and state of mind.

It's not up to you to decide if 53 is too young. He was sentenced, nobody has the right to tell someone who has paid his price to society that he owes more. A judge made the determination and decided his sentence was just.

LowlyPion said:
Specifically everyone is guaranteed equal protection under the law by the 14th Amendment. While the amendment may have been intended to right the wrongs of racial issues arising after the Civil War, its terms are generally extended to ensure that all laws are equally applied.

If Chapman has the right to be considered for parole, then such consideration cannot be unequally given as to his status within the corrections system merely because his was a high profile case, but must rather be decided on more general grounds as they would any prisoner serving the same or similar sentence, exhibiting similar behavior and state of mind.

Thank you, that's what I was trying to say

I don't believe that he is a danger to society. His parole is apparently being denied for one of the two reasons I cited.

tribdog said:
It's not up to you to decide if 53 is too young. He was sentenced, nobody has the right to tell someone who has paid his price to society that he owes more. A judge made the determination and decided his sentence was just.

He had a life sentence. He's not dead yet, so he's still 'paying his price' as sentenced by the judge.

Considering we don't know his behavior while in jail, none of us can say if he's still a threat or not.

Last edited:
Evo said:
I don't believe that he is a danger to society. His parole is apparently being denied for one of the two reasons I cited.

Neither of those reasons is good enough. Bowing to the public outcry if he was released can not, by law, be considered. We no longer have mob justice. And as far as his safety is concerned, he has the right to call the police if anyone threatens him, or comes onto his property and the police have to show up and protect him by arresting the offenders.

Evo said:

I suspect it may well be, though I doubt anyone would kill him as revenge for Lennon, as I don't think that would be honoring Lennon himself, so much as because of his very notoriety he would himself become a target for the kind of killing that he once indulged himself - for the same attention he once got.

But then again, without knowing all the facts before the Board as to his behavior, and the extent that he may be reformed, denying him his freedom may be the correct course after all.

Only the members of the Parole Board can know.

I think the important question here is, what are the requirements for parole?

If he is eligible for parole and the judge says (x,y,z) are the requirements for parole that's one thing.

If he's eligible for parole based on the discretion of the parole board, he's S.O.L.

Cyrus said:
I think the important question here is, what are the requirements for parole?

If he is eligible for parole and the judge says (x,y,z) are the requirements for parole that's one thing.

If he's eligible for parole based on the discretion of the parole board, he's S.O.L.

I believe that the Judge's role is complete. His sentence allowed consideration by the Board apparently at this time, and this they have done.

Not even sure if the Judge is still sitting anywhere with relevant jurisdiction or even if he would still be living. The Law does not require that. It is the task of the Parole Board to apply the general guidelines for parole. If they are not doing that, they are failing in their duty. If the prisoner could demonstrate that they have exhibited bias, then he could be heard by appeal. But so long as they are acting within bounds, it's difficult to imagine that he could get much traction in that direction.

Who cares, the scumbag can stay there till he's a skeleton.

binzing said:
Who cares, the scumbag can stay there till he's a skeleton.
Because Lennon was a good songwriter?
Is there a tarrif?
Rolling Stone/Beattle/Who = life
Bryan Adams/Madonna = 3 months
Britney spears/anyone from american idol = pardon + free caribean cruise

I for one think he did a good thing. Look at Ringo Starr. He spent his years narrating Thomas The Tank Engine episodes. Surely that is worse than death.

Moreover, being assassinated = becoming a God

Overdosing on your dog's heart medication = not a God

Who's to say he wouldn't have done the latter?

or - Just to get in before the thread is locked.

Roger ("I hope I die before I get old") Daltrey stars as a costumed children's dragon, Daltrey sings children's classics, such as "The Wheels on the Bus Go Round and Round"

Ok, no reason to bother with you folks' INFINITE wisdom.

WarPhalange said:
I for one think he did a good thing. Look at Ringo Starr. He spent his years narrating Thomas The Tank Engine episodes. Surely that is worse than death.

Hey, he was the best Thomas narrator! Kept him off the bottle for a few years at least.

(...back to the OP) None of us can say why the parole board did not grant parole, but regardless; Chapman would have to be given protection if he ever is released. I'm sure there are more than a few who would love to be remembered as the one who avenged Lennon's death.

That puts the board in a weird situation: "you have paid your debt to society, now we have spend money on your behalf to protect you from society. On second thought, forget it."

Last edited:
Hell, we've already wasted enough tax money on him and all the other idiots in our justice system, maybe we can colonize Mars as a penal colony like the Brits did with Australia.

ubermensch said:
This reminds me of the movie A Clockwork Orange.

What was that movie about?? I feel like someone told me about it, and it sounded interesting, but i can't remember

Related to John Lennon's killer denied parole for 5th time

1. Who is John Lennon's killer?

John Lennon's killer is Mark David Chapman. He is a convicted murderer who shot and killed John Lennon, a member of the Beatles, in 1980.

2. Why was John Lennon's killer denied parole for the 5th time?

John Lennon's killer was denied parole for the 5th time because the parole board deemed him a risk to society. They believed that if he were to be released, he could potentially harm others again.

3. How many times has John Lennon's killer been denied parole?

John Lennon's killer has been denied parole a total of 5 times. His most recent parole hearing was in August 2020.

4. When did John Lennon's killer first become eligible for parole?

John Lennon's killer first became eligible for parole in 2000, after serving 20 years of his 20 years to life sentence. He has been eligible for parole every two years since then.

5. Will John Lennon's killer ever be released from prison?

It is uncertain if John Lennon's killer will ever be released from prison. He will have another chance for parole in 2022, but it ultimately depends on the parole board's decision and if he is deemed fit for release.