Joining two lines(3D) with a circular arc fillet

In summary, the user is seeking a mathematical expression for the start, end, and center of a fillet (arc) joining two non-coplanar lines with a known radius, in order to use it in a C program. However, it is mentioned that such a fillet may not exist if the two lines are not coplanar.
velanvela
Hi all,
I have two lines in three dimensional form [P1(x1,y1,z1),P2(x2,y2,z2), and P3(x3,y3,z3), P4(x4,y4,z4) ] joined by a fillet, with known radius. i want to know the, start of the fillet(bend), end of the fillet, center of the fillet in a mathematical expression. with the above solution, i can formulate in a C program for further use. Thanks in advance.

regards
velan

Physics news on Phys.org
Please read or at least glimpse over all the stickies in the sub-forums for which you post for the first time. Problems like these belong in the homework help subforums.

Hi all,
I have two lines in three dimensional form [P1(x1,y1,z1),P2(x2,y2,z2), and P3(x3,y3,z3), P4(x4,y4,z4) ] joined by a fillet, with known radius. i want to know the, start of the fillet(bend), end of the fillet, center of the fillet in a mathematical expression. with the above solution, i can formulate in a C program for further use. Thanks in advance.

regards
velan

Hi velanvelam, are the two lines assumed to be co-planar (that is, are they known to intersect).

Last edited:
If by fillet you mean an arc segment tangent to the two segments, what makes you think such a thing even exists if the two segments aren't coplanar?

No, the two lines are not in the same plane.

regards
velan

Since this is also posted in the homework thread, I am joining the two.

velanvela said:
No, the two lines are not in the same plane.

regards
velan

The arc itself defines a plane. If the two segments are not coplanar then the arc can't be tangent to both.

Related to Joining two lines(3D) with a circular arc fillet

1. How do you determine the radius of the circular arc fillet when joining two lines in 3D?

The radius of the circular arc fillet is typically determined by the software or design program being used. It may also depend on the specific geometry of the two lines being joined. In some cases, the radius may need to be manually calculated based on the desired angle of the fillet and the length of the lines.

2. Can a circular arc fillet be added to any two lines in 3D?

In theory, a circular arc fillet can be added to any two lines in 3D. However, in practice, some software or design programs may have limitations on the types of lines that can be joined with a fillet. It is always best to consult the program's documentation or tutorials for specific instructions.

3. Is there a limit to the size of the circular arc fillet that can be added to two lines in 3D?

The size of the fillet may be limited by the software or design program being used. In addition, the size of the fillet may also be limited by the length and angle of the two lines being joined. In general, smaller fillets are easier to add and may yield better results.

4. How can I ensure that the circular arc fillet is smooth and continuous when joining two lines in 3D?

To ensure a smooth and continuous fillet, it is important to carefully select the radius of the fillet, as well as the start and end points of the fillet. It may also be helpful to use additional tools or features in the software or design program, such as tangency controls or curvature analysis, to refine the fillet.

5. Are there any alternative methods for joining two lines in 3D besides using a circular arc fillet?

Yes, there are alternative methods for joining two lines in 3D, such as using a chamfer or a blend curve. These methods may be more suitable for certain types of geometries or may yield different results. It is always best to explore and experiment with different techniques to find the best solution for your specific project.