Jonathan's question at Yahoo Answers ( span ( H ) )

• MHB
  • Thread starter Fernando Revilla
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Span
In summary, the value of "a" for which vector v= [2,-3,4,a] is in the set H=span {[2,1,-3,2],[0,2,-2,-2],[0,0,3,3]} is a=9.
Fernando Revilla
Gold Member
MHB
Here is the question:

Find the value of "a" for which

v= [2,−3,4,a]

is in the set

H=span {[2,1,−3,2],[0,2,−2,−2],[0,0,3,3]} a = ?

Here is a link to the question:

Find the value of "a" for which? - Yahoo! Answers

I have posted a link there to this topic so the OP can find my response.

Mathematics news on Phys.org
Hello jonathan,

Clearly
$$\mbox{rank }\begin{bmatrix}{2}&{-1}&{\;\:3}& \;\;2\\{0}&{\;\;2}&{-2}&-2\\{0}&{\;\;0}&{\;\;3}&\;\;3\end{bmatrix}=3$$

Then, $(2,-3,4,a)$ belongs to $H$ if and only if:

$$\mbox{rank }\begin{bmatrix}{2}&{-3}&{\;\:4}& \;\;a\\{2}&{-1}&{\;\:3}& \;\;2\\{0}&{\;\;2}&{-2}&-2\\{0}&{\;\;0}&{\;\;3}&\;\;3\end{bmatrix}=3$$
Equivalently, if and only if
$$\det\;\begin{bmatrix}{2}&{-3}&{\;\:4}& \;\;a\\{2}&{-1}&{\;\:3}& \;\;2\\{0}&{\;\;2}&{-2}&-2\\{0}&{\;\;0}&{\;\;3}&\;\;3\end{bmatrix}=0$$

Easily we verify that the previous determinant is $12(9-a)$ so,

$(2,-3,4,a)$ belongs to $H$ if and only if $a=9$

Related to Jonathan's question at Yahoo Answers ( span ( H ) )

1. What is the meaning of "Jonathan's question at Yahoo Answers ( span ( H ) )"?

"Jonathan's question at Yahoo Answers ( span ( H ) )" refers to a specific question asked by an individual named Jonathan on the Yahoo Answers platform. The "( span ( H ) )" is most likely a coding error or typo and does not have any significant meaning.

2. What is Yahoo Answers?

Yahoo Answers is an online platform where users can ask and answer questions on a wide range of topics. It was launched in 2005 by Yahoo and allows anyone with a Yahoo account to participate.

3. How do I find "Jonathan's question" on Yahoo Answers?

To find "Jonathan's question" on Yahoo Answers, you can either search for his username or the specific question title in the search bar. You can also browse through the categories or recent questions to find it.

4. Why is "Jonathan's question" significant?

"Jonathan's question" may not have any significant meaning or impact, but it could be a helpful question for others who have the same query. Additionally, it could spark interesting discussions and provide valuable information for those interested in the topic.

5. Can I answer "Jonathan's question" if I know the answer?

Yes, anyone with a Yahoo account can answer questions on Yahoo Answers, including "Jonathan's question." However, it is important to provide accurate and helpful responses to maintain the quality of the platform.