Jordan Normal Form and Root Spaces

In summary: Jordan).In summary, the given linear transformation has a Jordan normal form of \[J=\begin{pmatrix}-1&0&0\\0&4+i\sqrt{15}&0\\0&0&4-i\sqrt{15}\end{pmatrix}\]with characteristic polynomial $X_f(t)=-(1+\lambda)(\lambda-(4+i\sqrt{15}))(\lambda-(4-i\sqrt{15}))$ and minimal polynomial $\mu_f(t)=(t+1)(\lambda-(4+i\sqrt{15}))(\lambda-(4-i\sqrt{15}))$. The root spaces for each eigenvalue are $\left\{\begin
Sudharaka
Gold Member
MHB
Hi everyone, :)

Here's a question that I encountered recently. I would appreciate if you could go through my solution and let me know if you see any mistakes or have any comments.

Question:

Given a linear transformation \(f:\,\mathbb{C}\rightarrow \mathbb{C}\) with matrix \(\begin{pmatrix}3&0&8\\3&-1&6\\-2&0&5\end{pmatrix}\). Find the Jordan normal form of \(f\). Indicate \(X_{f}(t),\,\mu_{f}(t)\). What are the root spaces and the eigenspaces for \(f\)?

My Answer:

I found the characteristic polynomial to be, \(X_{f}(t)=-(1+\lambda)(\lambda-(4+i\sqrt{15}))(\lambda-(4-i\sqrt{15}))\). Therefore the minimal polynomial is,

\(\mu_{f}(t)=\mu_{f}(t)=(1+\lambda)(\lambda-(4+i\sqrt{15}))(\lambda-(4-i\sqrt{15}))\)

Since this matrix has three distinct eigenvalues it is diagonalizable. Therefore the Jordan normal form is,

\[J=\begin{pmatrix}-1&0&0\\0&4+i\sqrt{15}&0\\0&0&4-i\sqrt{15}\end{pmatrix}\]

There is only one eigenvector corresponding to \(\lambda = -1\) and one eigenvector for both of the complex eigenvalues. The eigenspace for \(\lambda =-1\) therefore consist of the single vector, \(\begin{pmatrix}0\\1\\0\end{pmatrix}\) and the eigenspaces for both the complex eigenvalues consist of \(\begin{pmatrix}1\\1\\1\end{pmatrix}\).

Now the geometric multiplicity of each of the eigenvalues is one. So the rootspace corresponding to each eigenvalue consist of all the eigenvectors for that particular eigenvalue plus the zero vector. That is the rootspace of \(\lambda =-1\) is \(\left\{ \begin{pmatrix}0\\1\\0\end{pmatrix},\, \begin{pmatrix}0\\0\\0\end{pmatrix} \right\}\), the rootspaces corresponding to both of the complex eigenvalues is \(\left\{ \begin{pmatrix}1\\1\\1\end{pmatrix},\, \begin{pmatrix}0\\0\\0\end{pmatrix} \right\}\).

Physics news on Phys.org
Sudharaka said:
Hi everyone, :)

Here's a question that I encountered recently. I would appreciate if you could go through my solution and let me know if you see any mistakes or have any comments.

Question:

Given a linear transformation \(f:\,\mathbb{C}\rightarrow \mathbb{C}\) with matrix \(\begin{pmatrix}3&0&8\\3&-1&6\\-2&0&5\end{pmatrix}\). Find the Jordan normal form of \(f\). Indicate \(X_{f}(t),\,\mu_{f}(t)\). What are the root spaces and the eigenspaces for \(f\)?

My Answer:

I found the characteristic polynomial to be, \(X_{f}(t)=-(1+\lambda)(\lambda-(4+i\sqrt{15}))(\lambda-(4-i\sqrt{15}))\). Therefore the minimal polynomial is,

\(\mu_{f}(t)=\mu_{f}(t)=(1+\lambda)(\lambda-(4+i\sqrt{15}))(\lambda-(4-i\sqrt{15}))\)

Since this matrix has three distinct eigenvalues it is diagonalizable. Therefore the Jordan normal form is,

\[J=\begin{pmatrix}-1&0&0\\0&4+i\sqrt{15}&0\\0&0&4-i\sqrt{15}\end{pmatrix}\]

There is only one eigenvector corresponding to \(\lambda = -1\) and no eigenvectors corresponding to the complex eigenvalues. The eigenspace for \(\lambda =-1\) therefore consist of the single vector, \(\begin{pmatrix}0\\1\\0\end{pmatrix}\) and the eigenspaces of the complex eigenvalues are null (no elements).

Now the geometric multiplicity of each of the eigenvalues is one. So the rootspace of corresponding to each eigenvalue consist of all the eigenvectors for that particular eigenvalue plus the zero vector. That is the rootspace of \(\lambda =-1\) is \(\left\{ \begin{pmatrix}0\\1\\0\end{pmatrix},\, \begin{pmatrix}0\\0\\0\end{pmatrix} \right\}\),the rootspaces corresponding to the complex eigenvalues is trivial, containing only the zero vector.

Hi Sudharaka!

Characteristic polynomial and minimal polynomial, check. ;)
Yep, diagonalizable due to distinct eigenvalues.

However, a null vector is never an eigenvector. It is excluded from the definition.
So $\lambda = -1$ has just the one eigenvector $\begin{pmatrix}0\\1\\0\end{pmatrix}$.

Now, if there is an eigenvalue, there is also always at least 1 eigenvector for that eigenvalue. This is no exception. So those complex eigenvalues must also have an eigenvector... :rolleyes:

I like Serena said:
Hi Sudharaka!

Characteristic polynomial and minimal polynomial, check. ;)
Yep, diagonalizable due to distinct eigenvalues.

However, a null vector is never an eigenvector. It is excluded from the definition.
So $\lambda = -1$ has just the one eigenvector $\begin{pmatrix}0\\1\\0\end{pmatrix}$.

Now, if there is an eigenvalue, there is also always at least 1 eigenvector for that eigenvalue. This is no exception. So those complex eigenvalues must also have an eigenvector... :rolleyes:

Oh, sorry. A little error in calculation. I have changed my original post. Also the root space in the original post refers to >>this<<.

Sudharaka said:
Oh, sorry. A little error in calculation. I have changed my original post. Also the root space in the original post refers to >>this<<.

I'm afraid that link says that it is unavailable for viewing.

Seems to me that a root space can hardly exist of exactly 2 vectors of which one is the null vector. You can say that the root space is spanned by the eigenvector, or symbolically: [ (0,1,0) ]. This space does indeed contain the null vector.

Furthermore, the same eigenvector never appears twice. Not for the same eigenvalue and not for distinct eigenvalues.
Suppose it did, what would happen?
Is (1,1,1) really an eigenvector?

I agree with your calculation for $\chi_f(t)$, but you have made a small mistake: $\mu_f(t)$ must be MONIC, and so:

$\mu_f(t) = -\chi_f(t) = t^3 - 7t^2 + 23t + 31 = (t + 1)(t^2 - 8t + 31)$

You have also written down $\chi_f(\lambda)$ not $\chi_f(t)$.

(The sign doesn't really matter for determining the roots, this is a minor quibble).

When I attempt to solve $(A - \lambda I)(x,y,z)^T = 0$, I get for the eigenvalue:

$\lambda = 4 + i\sqrt{15}$

The eigenvector: $\left(\dfrac{1-i\sqrt{15}}{2},\dfrac{3 - 3i\sqrt{15}}{8},1\right)$

after some laborious(!) calculations.

You should obtain for the eigenvalue:

$\lambda = 4 - i\sqrt{15}$, the eigenvector:

$\left(\dfrac{1 + \sqrt{15}}{2},\dfrac{3 + 3i\sqrt{15}}{8},1\right)$.

Each of these eigenvectors generates a root space, which all have dimension one, since the algebraic multiplicity is one.

Deveno said:
I agree with your calculation for $\chi_f(t)$, but you have made a small mistake: $\mu_f(t)$ must be MONIC, and so:

$\mu_f(t) = -\chi_f(t) = t^3 - 7t^2 + 23t + 31 = (t + 1)(t^2 - 8t + 31)$

You have also written down $\chi_f(\lambda)$ not $\chi_f(t)$.

(The sign doesn't really matter for determining the roots, this is a minor quibble).

When I attempt to solve $(A - \lambda I)(x,y,z)^T = 0$, I get for the eigenvalue:

$\lambda = 4 + i\sqrt{15}$

The eigenvector: $\left(\dfrac{1-i\sqrt{15}}{2},\dfrac{3 - 3i\sqrt{15}}{8},1\right)$

after some laborious(!) calculations.

You should obtain for the eigenvalue:

$\lambda = 4 - i\sqrt{15}$, the eigenvector:

$\left(\dfrac{1 + \sqrt{15}}{2},\dfrac{3 + 3i\sqrt{15}}{8},1\right)$.

Each of these eigenvectors generates a root space, which all have dimension one, since the algebraic multiplicity is one.

Yes, you are correct, I did the calculations slowly and carefully again to obtain your answers. So the root space in this case is the same as the eigenspace for each eigenvalue, Isn't?

I like Serena said:
I'm afraid that link says that it is unavailable for viewing.

That's quite strange, the link works fine for me. :p

I like Serena said:
Seems to me that a root space can hardly exist of exactly 2 vectors of which one is the null vector. You can say that the root space is spanned by the eigenvector, or symbolically: [ (0,1,0) ]. This space does indeed contain the null vector.

Furthermore, the same eigenvector never appears twice. Not for the same eigenvalue and not for distinct eigenvalues.
Suppose it did, what would happen?
Is (1,1,1) really an eigenvector?

You are correct. I have done some drastically silly mistakes. And yep, same eigenvector cannot appear for different eigenvalues. If \(Av=\lambda_1 v\) and \(Av=\lambda_2 v\) then it's clear that, \(\lambda_1=\lambda_2\). I did the problem carefully and obtained the same answer that Deveno had obtained above.

Thank you very much for helping out. I really appreciate your help. :)

I like Serena said:
I'm afraid that link says that it is unavailable for viewing...

I get the same message. :D

Sudharaka said:
Okay, if I just copy past the url let's see what happens. :)

Matrix And Linear Algebra 2Nd Ed. - Datta - Google Books

Do you still have problems viewing it? The weird thing is I can view it. :p

Now, I can view it.
However, this is Google Books. They only allow anyone to view a limited number of sections at a time, unless of course you pay for it.

I like Serena said:
Now, I can view it.
However, this is Google Books. They only allow anyone to view a limited number of sections at a time, unless of course you pay for it.

Yep, that's true. Anyway I wanted to quote the definition of root spaces and the page I linked has that definition. Glad that you can view it now. :)

Sudharaka said:
Yep, that's true. Anyway I wanted to quote the definition of root spaces and the page I linked has that definition. Glad that you can view it now.

For later reference, I found another link to the definition of a root space http://mathhelpboards.com/linear-abstract-algebra-14/diagonalizability-linear-transformation-6976.html#post31786. :eek:

Related to Jordan Normal Form and Root Spaces

1. What is the Jordan Normal Form?

The Jordan Normal Form is a way of representing a square matrix in a specific form, where the matrix is broken down into blocks of diagonal and upper triangular matrices. This form is useful in understanding the properties and behavior of the matrix, particularly in relation to eigenvalues and eigenvectors.

2. How is the Jordan Normal Form calculated?

The Jordan Normal Form is calculated by finding the eigenvalues and corresponding eigenvectors of the matrix. The eigenvectors are then used to construct the diagonal and upper triangular blocks of the matrix, with the eigenvalues placed along the diagonal.

3. What are root spaces in relation to the Jordan Normal Form?

Root spaces are subspaces of the vector space that are associated with each eigenvalue of the matrix. They represent the set of all vectors that are mapped to the zero vector when the eigenvalue is applied to them. These root spaces are important in understanding the structure of the Jordan Normal Form.

4. How do root spaces relate to the geometric multiplicity of an eigenvalue?

The root spaces associated with an eigenvalue have a dimension equal to the geometric multiplicity of that eigenvalue. This means that the number of linearly independent vectors in the root space corresponds to the number of times the eigenvalue appears in the diagonal blocks of the Jordan Normal Form.

5. Can any matrix be transformed into Jordan Normal Form?

Yes, any square matrix can be transformed into Jordan Normal Form through a process called Jordan decomposition. This process involves finding the eigenvalues and eigenvectors of the matrix, and then using these to construct the Jordan Normal Form. However, the resulting form may not always be unique, as there can be different choices for the eigenvectors and corresponding blocks.