Joule-Thomson-Coefficient (JTC)

• Thread starter Mike1977
  • Start date
In summary, the German visitor would like to calculate the JTC for a concrete example. However, because the pressure difference is so large, the JT equation is not valid and the visitor would first try it using the parameter values at the initial pressure and temperature.
Mike1977
Hi from Germany,

I would like to calculate the JTC for a concrete example.

From a pressure vessel full (in german we say "Druckbehälter" (db)) with dry air (Vdb=100 m3; pdb=300 bar; Tdb=293,13 K) flows out the air after the valve outside (pamb=1 bar). I suppose that Tdb and pb in the pressure vessel remain constant.

With the following approach I would like to calculate the cooling of the air. The constants a, b and R are known to me.:

mprender.png

What values I have to use for T and cp?

I think, I have to use the values from the pressure vessel, to calculate the temperature of the air after throttling to atmospheric pressure. Therfore I have to calculate the molar isobaric heat capacity of air cp,db in the pressure vessel (at Tdb = 293.13 K and pdb = 300 bar).

Am I right ??
mprender.png

Thanks for your help, Mike

Physics news on Phys.org
The pressure change is too large to use the JT coefficient, since JT is just the derivative of temperature with respect to pressure at constant enthalpy. If you are trying to calculate the temperature coming out of the throttle valve for your situation, then the easiest way to do this is by using air tables. Do you have tables that give enthalpy of air as a function of temperature and pressure? The key characteristic of an adiabatic throttle valve is that the change in enthalpy is equal to zero. So you need to find the enthalpy at the initial conditions, and then, for the same enthalpy, find the temperature corresponding to the final pressure.

Chet

Likes Mike1977
Hi Chet, thank you for your answer,

my example was a fictive one to understand the general thermodynamic equations. But if you say that I can not use JT coefficient to calculate the cooling, why different literature reference gives JT coefficient for very high pressures. Furthermore the literature references shows no scope of application regarding the pressures.

However, my general question remains: If I want to calculate the JTC for two pairs of pressure (for example 30 bar and 1 bar), what values do I use for the molar isobaric Wärmekapzität c_p and the temperature T (the values of higher or lower the pressure)?

http://webbook.nist.gov/cgi/fluid.c...nit=kJ/mol&WUnit=m/s&VisUnit=uPa*s&STUnit=N/mThank you for your help, Mike

Hi Chat,

habe you an idea, where I can find those tables? the tables that I had found, base on the assumption of an ideal gas. But the air in the pressure vessel can not discribe by the ideal gas theory.

Thank you and beste regards, Mike

Try the tables at the end of this reference: http://www.nist.gov/data/PDFfiles/jpcrd581.pdf

I merely Googled "Thermodynamic Properties for Air"

Last edited by a moderator:
Thank you Chet for the link. Have you an idea regarding the 3rd post in this thread? Especially the fact, for which conditions I have to use the heat capacity (for the high pressure or the low pressure). Because I want to compare the solutions of:
JTC vs. enthalpy-tables.

Michael

Mike1977 said:
Thank you Chet for the link. Have you an idea regarding the 3rd post in this thread? Especially the fact, for which conditions I have to use the heat capacity (for the high pressure or the low pressure). Because I want to compare the solutions of:
JTC vs. enthalpy-tables.

Michael
This is going to be a difficult comparison to make because the pressure difference is so huge, and the JT equation is only valid for determining the derivative of the temperature with respect to pressure at the starting conditions. If there is any curvature to the relationship between temperature and pressure at constant enthalpy, the answer using JT is going to be way off. I would first try it using the parameter values at the initial pressure and temperature. This would give you the predicted temperature using Euler's method. I might also try to evaluate the JT coefficient using the geometric mean pressure and see how that compares. As another alternative, you could apply the JT equation over a sequence of pressure intervals, like a numerical integration and sum up the temperature changes. As the pressure intervals become smaller, the answer should approach the result obtained using the tables. So, there are many things you could try, but the least accurate is going to what you obtain if you use the JT equation once at the initial conditions.

Chet

Related to Joule-Thomson-Coefficient (JTC)

1. What is the Joule-Thomson Coefficient (JTC)?

The Joule-Thomson Coefficient, also known as the Joule-Thomson Effect, is a measure of the change in temperature of a gas when it experiences a change in pressure while being held at a constant enthalpy (total energy) during a throttling process. It is denoted by the symbol μ and has units of Kelvin per Pascal (K/Pa).

2. How is the JTC calculated?

The JTC can be calculated using the following formula: μ = (ΔT/ΔP)H, where ΔT is the change in temperature, ΔP is the change in pressure, and H is the constant enthalpy. Alternatively, it can also be calculated using the Clapeyron equation: μ = (ΔH/ΔV)T, where ΔH is the change in enthalpy and ΔV is the change in volume.

3. What factors affect the JTC?

The JTC is affected by several factors, including the type of gas, its temperature and pressure, and the nature of the throttling process. Generally, gases with weaker intermolecular forces have a higher JTC, and lower temperatures and pressures lead to a higher JTC. Additionally, the JTC is positive for gases that experience a decrease in temperature during throttling, and negative for gases that experience an increase in temperature.

4. What is the significance of the JTC in thermodynamics?

The JTC is an important parameter in thermodynamics as it helps to understand the behavior of gases under different conditions. It is used in various industrial processes, such as refrigeration and natural gas processing, to determine the temperature changes that occur during throttling. It also plays a crucial role in the study of phase transitions and the thermodynamic properties of gases.

5. How is the JTC related to the Joule-Thomson Inversion Curve?

The Joule-Thomson Inversion Curve is a plot of the JTC against temperature at a constant pressure. It shows the temperature at which a gas changes from experiencing a decrease in temperature to an increase in temperature during throttling. The JTC is directly related to this curve, as it is the slope of the curve at a specific temperature. The curve can be used to determine the conditions at which a gas will experience a phase transition, such as condensation or vaporization.