Joule-thomson effect and linde process

In summary, the decrease in the temperature is caused by the work done by molecules to expand, which increases their PE and decreases their KE. However, in the Linde process the next step is liquification, and I am having trouble understanding how it happens since the intermolecular distance between liquid molecules is shorter than gas. The molecules have to get rid of the PE they just gained, but according to my professor, the liquid reservoir doesn't allow heat exchange, so how do the molecules get rid of the PE.
abdo799
According to the j-t effect the decrease in the temperature is a result of the work done by molecule to expand thus increasing their PE and decreasing their KE, but in the linde process the next step is liquification, i am having trouble understanding how it happens, since the intermolecular distance between liquid molecules are shorter than gas, so the molecules have to get rid of the PE they just gained, but according to my professor the liquid reservoir doesn't allow heat exchange, so how do the molecules get rid of the PE.
I think they get rid of it by doing work in expansion this is why not all the gas is liquified, but i am having trouble with this conclusion as how the gas expand ( increase molecular distance) and liquify (decrease molecular distance) at the same time, i am really confused

Physics news on Phys.org
abdo799 said:
I think they get rid of it by doing work in expansion this is why not all the gas is liquified, but i am having trouble with this conclusion as how the gas expand ( increase molecular distance) and liquify (decrease molecular distance) at the same time, i am really confused
I don't see quite a problem here, small droplets will condense out of the gas on expansion. The same thing is happening also when clouds are forming in the rising air on a hot day: The gas cools off while rising and expanding until small droplets of water start to condense out.
Ideally, during condensation, the temperature of the gas stays constant. So the energy the gas fraction needs to expand is taken from the heat of condensation of the part of the gas that condenses. It should be clear that the heat of condensation per mole is much larger than the heat absorbed on expansion by the gas fraction per mole, so only a tiny part of the gas really condenses out during each expansion step.

Likes abdo799
so some of the gas is condensing and the heat needed to be absorbed from it, is absorbed by some gas expanding?

Exactly

thanks

Related to Joule-thomson effect and linde process

1. What is the Joule-Thomson effect?

The Joule-Thomson effect, also known as the Joule-Kelvin effect, is the phenomenon in which a gas experiences a temperature change when it is forced through a valve or porous plug at constant enthalpy. This effect is used in the Linde process to liquefy gases.

2. How does the Joule-Thomson effect work?

The Joule-Thomson effect works by converting the energy of gas molecules into thermal energy as they pass through a valve or porous plug. This causes the gas to either cool down or heat up, depending on the initial temperature and pressure of the gas.

3. What is the Linde process?

The Linde process is a method used to liquefy gases by utilizing the Joule-Thomson effect. It involves compressing and cooling a gas, then allowing it to expand through a valve or porous plug, causing a drop in temperature. The cooled gas is then passed through a heat exchanger to remove any remaining heat before being liquefied.

4. What are the applications of the Joule-Thomson effect and Linde process?

The Joule-Thomson effect and Linde process have various applications in industries such as refrigeration, air conditioning, and natural gas processing. They are also used in the production of liquefied natural gas (LNG) and for the separation and purification of gases.

5. What factors affect the Joule-Thomson effect and Linde process?

The Joule-Thomson effect and Linde process are affected by several factors, including the initial temperature and pressure of the gas, the type of gas, and the size and design of the valve or porous plug. The heat exchanger efficiency also plays a significant role in the effectiveness of the process.