Jumping in a Moving Box: Effects of Acceleration and Vacuum Conditions

• Thread starter tattushenoi
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Box
In summary, if you are at the top of the box and not inside it and the height stretches to the atmospheric boundary, you will still land on the box.
tattushenoi
What if I am enclosed in a big box which initially has some air. It starts moving at a uniform speed of xKmph. Now suddenly , suppose the box becomes a vacuum. and I jump at the same instant. WHat happens? Will I land at the same place wrt to the box or will I smash the back?

Now what about the same QN when the box is accelerating at 1 mps?

BOX can be a moving train but which is closed completely, so that vacuum can be attained.

Physics news on Phys.org
Good question. What do you think will happen? Why or why not?

Well, I am a bit confused. Newtons Law says that I will land at the same place as I am also moving with the box. And for the second question I will be landing a good distance back.

But I am not sure about this as I am also getting a feeling that I won't be moving at the same speed of the box as there is no air to carry me at that speed. Please enlighten if you could.

The box becoming a vacuum should not have any effect. If the box isn't accelerating you will land at the same spot.

But yes if the box is accelerated you won't land at the same spot.

tattushenoi said:
But I am not sure about this as I am also getting a feeling that I won't be moving at the same speed of the box as there is no air to carry me at that speed. Please enlighten if you could.

Is it the air that carries you at a speed?

What happened to me was divorce, but I suspect that your are using different terminology than I do...

AlchemistK said:
Is it the air that carries you at a speed?

I was not sure. But I was more inclined towards my first answer. So I thought why not get things clear. I hope you have it right.

Thanks.

Now let me slightly modify the Question.

Suppose I am at the top of the box and not inside it and the height stretches to the atmospheric boundary.Now what happens if I jump considering the box is in uniform motion.

If we assume that there is no wind or any air resistance of any type, you will still land on the box.

Thought so. Thank You again.

Sorry for the flippancy, Tattoo. I'm merely trying to justify this damned badge that they gave me. Sometimes that requires being uncouth. :redface:

Related to Jumping in a Moving Box: Effects of Acceleration and Vacuum Conditions

1. Can you jump inside a moving box without getting hurt?

It is not recommended to jump inside a moving box as it can be dangerous and result in injury. The movement and instability of the box can cause you to lose balance and fall, potentially leading to bruises, sprains, or even more serious injuries.

2. How does jumping inside a moving box affect the physics of the jump?

Jumping inside a moving box can alter the physics of the jump in several ways. The momentum and direction of the box will affect the trajectory and landing of the jump. The instability of the box can also make it harder to maintain balance and control during the jump.

3. Is it easier or harder to jump inside a moving box compared to jumping on solid ground?

Jumping inside a moving box can be more challenging than jumping on solid ground. The movement and instability of the box make it harder to maintain balance and control, which can affect the height and distance of the jump.

4. What safety precautions should be taken when jumping inside a moving box?

If you choose to jump inside a moving box, it is important to take necessary safety precautions. Make sure the box is sturdy and secure, and there is enough space for the jump. Wear appropriate footwear for traction and be aware of your surroundings to avoid collisions or falls.

5. Can jumping inside a moving box have any benefits or disadvantages?

Jumping inside a moving box can have potential benefits, such as improving balance and coordination, as well as providing a fun and unique form of exercise. However, it also comes with risks, such as potential injuries, and may not be suitable for everyone. It is important to consider these factors before attempting to jump inside a moving box.