Jumping off the front of a boat

• Thread starter fish399
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Boat
In summary, a boat moving at a velocity of 0.5 m/s relative to the ground has a passenger inside. The passenger jumps off the front of the boat at a velocity of 4.0 m/s relative to the boat. Using the principle of conservation of momentum, the total velocity of the passenger relative to the ground is calculated to be 4.23 m/s. However, the answer key to the book states the total velocity as 5.0 m/s. It is possible that there may be an error in the numbers provided in the question.
fish399

Homework Statement

A boat is moving at .5 m/s relative to the ground with a passenger riding inside of the boat. If the passenger jumps off of the front of the boat at a velocity of 4.0 m/s (relative to the boat), what is the total velocity of the passenger relative the the ground/water?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I know the answer should be 5.0 m/s, but I am having trouble explaining this. I believe it comes from the momentum of the passenger along with the momentum of the boat being transferred to the passenger when he jumps giving him a velocity of 1.0 m/s + the 4.0 giving a total of 5.0 m/s. Can someone better explain this?

Physics news on Phys.org
Does this problem give the mass of the passenger and the mass of the boat?

I don't think it's possible for the speed of the passenger, relative to the ground, to be greater than 4.5 m/s.
If the mass of the boat M is much larger than the mass of the passenger m, m << M, than the greatest speed possible for the passenger, relative to the ground, for M->Infinity, should be 4.5 m/s.

Last edited:
That is what I was thinking too, but the answer key to the book says 5.0m/s, but it doesn't explain why. Yeah, the mass of the passenger is 72 kg. The mass of the boat is 1000 kg.

fish399 said:
That is what I was thinking too, but the answer key to the book says 5.0m/s, but it doesn't explain why. Yeah, the mass of the passenger is 72 kg. The mass of the boat is 1000 kg.

Good Morning,

I just happened to be logged on...

Here's the picture I've drawn for the problem:

http://img15.imageshack.us/img15/4843/boat1st.jpg

In this picture, [itex] \rm v_i[/itex] = .5 m/s, v = 4 m/s, m = 72 kg, and M = 1000 kg.

I get 4.23 m/s for the final speed of the passenger relative to the ground (a frame at rest), which corresponds to [itex] \rm v_f + v[/itex] in my picture.

I messed up a similar problem last week, so I might be making an error here. Perhaps someone else will take a look.

Last edited by a moderator:
fishy welcome to pf!

hi fish399! welcome to pf! :smile:
fish399 said:

use conservation of momentum, together with vp - vb = 4.0 :wink:

(but I don't see how it can be more than 4.5 :confused: … are you sure all the numbers in the question are correct?)

Related to Jumping off the front of a boat

1. What happens to your body when you jump off the front of a boat?

When you jump off the front of a boat, your body is subjected to a sudden change in velocity and direction. This can cause your body to experience a force called "splashdown" which can result in injury if not done correctly.

2. Is it safe to jump off the front of a boat?

Jumping off the front of a boat can be safe if done correctly. It is important to make sure the water is deep enough and free of any hazards. It is also recommended to jump in feet first and avoid diving headfirst.

3. What are the potential risks of jumping off the front of a boat?

The potential risks of jumping off the front of a boat include hitting the water at an incorrect angle, colliding with objects in the water, and injury from sudden impact. It is important to always assess the water conditions and potential hazards before jumping.

4. Can jumping off the front of a boat cause damage to the boat?

Jumping off the front of a boat can potentially cause damage to the boat. The impact of your body hitting the water can create a wave that can damage the boat or other nearby objects. It is important to be cautious and considerate when jumping off a boat to avoid causing any damage.

5. Are there any precautions I should take before jumping off the front of a boat?

Yes, there are precautions you should take before jumping off the front of a boat. Make sure the water is deep enough and free of any hazards. It is also recommended to enter the water feet first and to avoid jumping near any objects or other people. Always follow any safety guidelines provided by the boat operator.