Jungle Veterinarian Shoots Monkey: Solving for Minimum Dart Velocity

• Thread starter superdave
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation is about a jungle veterinarian who is attempting to hit a sly monkey with a tranquilizer dart. The monkey is at a height h above the ground and the veterinarian is also at a height h, a distance L away from the monkey. The question is how fast the dart must travel in order to hit the monkey before it reaches the ground. The solution involves finding the time it takes for the monkey to hit the ground, using the equation sqrt(2h/g), and then using the equation L=v_it+1/2at^2 to solve for the minimum muzzle velocity of the dart. The conversation also discusses the need to treat the horizontal and vertical components of the dart separately and clarifies that tranquilizer d
superdave
A jungle veterinarian with a blow-gun loaded with a tranquilizer dart and a sly 1.5-kg monkey are each a height h above the ground in trees a distance L apart. Just as the hunter shoots horizontally at the monkey, the monkey drops from the tree in a vain attempt to escape being hit.

What must the minimum muzzle velocity of the dart have been for the hunter to hit the monkey before it reached the ground?

This should be just algebra, no numbers to input. But I can't get it right.

I first find the time for the monkey to hit the ground. Which is sqrt (2h/g).

Then I use L=vi*t+1/2at^2

From there I get vi=(L-1/2at^2)/t

Substituting for time I get (L-.5*2h)/sqrt (2h/g)

But that's not right.

Physics news on Phys.org
superdave said:
Then I use L=vi*t+1/2at^2

From there I get vi=(L-1/2at^2)/t
Why are you using L=vi*t+1/2at^2?
What is this 'a' in these equations supposed to represent?

Okay, yeah. That's wrong. I've been doing these problems for about 3 hours and my brain is fried. But then what do I use? does vf = 0?

How long does it take for a dropped object at initial height h to reach the ground?

v1 = 0, a = -9.8, d = h, t = ?

The bullet has to travel a horizontal distance of L in that much time.

d = L, t = see above, v = ?

superdave said:
Okay, yeah. That's wrong. I've been doing these problems for about 3 hours and my brain is fried. But then what do I use? does vf = 0?
You would use L=v_it+1/2at^2 if the bullet would be accelerating horizontally with a constant acceleration.
You have to treat the horizontal and vertical components of the bullet seperately. Vertically it is accelerating due to gravity (same rate as the monkey), but what is the horizontal component doing?

EDIT: And ofcourse I meant tranquilizer darts. Shooting moneys with bullets is very badong.

Last edited:

Related to Jungle Veterinarian Shoots Monkey: Solving for Minimum Dart Velocity

1. Why do people shoot monkeys?

There are a few reasons why people may shoot monkeys, including self-defense, population control, and hunting for food or sport. In some areas, monkeys may also be considered pests or agricultural pests, leading to shooting as a form of pest control.

2. Is it legal to shoot monkeys?

The legality of shooting monkeys varies depending on the location and species. In some areas, monkeys may be protected under wildlife conservation laws and shooting them may be illegal. It is important to check with local authorities and obtain any necessary permits before shooting monkeys.

3. How can shooting monkeys affect the environment?

Shooting monkeys can have various effects on the environment, including disrupting natural ecosystems and food chains, impacting the population dynamics of other species, and potentially leading to the extinction of certain monkey species. It can also have indirect effects on the environment, such as causing damage to trees and vegetation as monkeys fall from branches when shot.

4. What are the potential risks of shooting monkeys?

There are several potential risks associated with shooting monkeys, including injury or death to the shooter or others in the area, legal consequences if done illegally, and negative impacts on the environment and other wildlife. There is also the risk of transmitting diseases from monkeys to humans through contact with their blood or bodily fluids.

5. Are there alternative methods for dealing with problem monkeys?

Yes, there are alternative methods for addressing issues with monkeys that do not involve shooting. These include using non-lethal deterrents such as noise makers or physical barriers, relocating problem monkeys to other areas, and implementing community-based conservation programs to reduce human-wildlife conflicts.