Just another reason why I love the internet

In summary, the speaker got rid of 600 pounds of industrial manuals after realizing they were no longer needed thanks to the internet. They also realized they can start reducing the amount of shelf space dedicated to books and magazines. The conversation then turns to the potential of selling the books online and the humor of someone buying the manuals without realizing they can access them online. The speaker is unsure if the manuals are collectible and another person suggests selling them on eBay.
Ivan Seeking
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
After lugging these things around for over twenty years now, I just got rid of about six hundred pounds of industrial manuals. Thanks to the internet they are no longer needed. I also realized that for the first time in my life, I can start to reduce the amount of shelf space dedicated to books and magazines.

Praise the Lord and God bless the internet!:-p :-p :-p :biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin:

Physics news on Phys.org
You can also use the internet to sell your old books you don't need anymore.

TheStatutoryApe said:
You can also use the internet to sell your old books you don't need anymore.
To someone savvy enough to buy books online, but not savvy enough to realize the manuals can accessed on-line? :smile:

BobG said:
To someone savvy enough to buy books online, but not savvy enough to realize the manuals can accessed on-line? :smile:
Well that's possible but I was thinking more along the lines of people who prefer to have the book instead of reading online and those who like to collect books. Not to sure just how collectible Ivan's manuals are though.

BobG said:

:confused: They didn't used to be available online, which was the whole point.

Ivan Seeking said:
:confused: They didn't used to be available online, which was the whole point.
He was referring to your potential buyers. You can sell nearly anything on eBay. It's worth a try, just make sure you require the buyer to pay shipping! :smile:

Ah, the deviousness went completely over my head. :biggrin:

Related to Just another reason why I love the internet

What are some benefits of the internet?

The internet allows for instant communication with people all over the world, access to an endless amount of information and resources, convenient online shopping and banking, and opportunities for education and entertainment.

How has the internet changed the way we live?

The internet has revolutionized the way we communicate, work, and access information. It has made tasks such as researching, learning, and shopping more efficient and convenient. It has also opened up job opportunities in fields such as e-commerce, web development, and digital marketing.

What are some concerns about the internet?

Some common concerns about the internet include online privacy and security, cyberbullying, and the spread of misinformation. It is important to use caution and be aware of potential risks when using the internet.

What are some ways the internet has improved our lives?

The internet has improved our lives in numerous ways, such as making it easier to stay connected with loved ones, providing access to online education and resources, and allowing for remote work opportunities. It has also made tasks like paying bills, booking travel, and shopping more convenient.

How has the internet impacted businesses?

The internet has greatly impacted businesses by providing a global platform for marketing and selling products and services. It has also allowed for efficient communication and collaboration among employees and has opened up new opportunities for online businesses and e-commerce. However, it has also increased competition and the need for businesses to have a strong online presence.