Just had an "e/M" physics 103 lab. Not sure what I am supposed to do. Help.

In summary, the student is trying to do a traditional lab assignment on electricity and magnetism but is having difficulty because the people he was supposed to take data with did not show up. The student collected data but is not sure how to proceed.
Eddie10

Homework Statement

I'm not really sure what goes here just yet because my lab on "e/M" is rather dry, and void of any meaningful information.

Homework Equations

Not sure yet.

The Attempt at a Solution

I do have an attempt, but it needs work.

Alright, so my problem with this lab is that it happened in a rather odd fashion. The group that I was supposed to take data with are really weird, and I didn't end up taking the data that they took, so it made everything a bit awkward.

However, I managed to get some data values for my lab, but I'm still unclear on how to proceed.

Can someone readily tell me about what I am supposed to accomplish with the "e/M lab" without any of my information, or do you need me to post some relevant information so that you guys can better help me out.

FWIW, the "e/M" lab is a traditional lab that is typically done in Physics 103 courses dealing with the topics of electricity, and magnetism.

Physics news on Phys.org
Eddie10 said:

Homework Statement

I'm not really sure what goes here just yet because my lab on "e/M" is rather dry, and void of any meaningful information.

Homework Equations

Not sure yet.

The Attempt at a Solution

I do have an attempt, but it needs work.

Alright, so my problem with this lab is that it happened in a rather odd fashion. The group that I was supposed to take data with are really weird, and I didn't end up taking the data that they took, so it made everything a bit awkward.

However, I managed to get some data values for my lab, but I'm still unclear on how to proceed.

Can someone readily tell me about what I am supposed to accomplish with the "e/M lab" without any of my information, or do you need me to post some relevant information so that you guys can better help me out.

FWIW, the "e/M" lab is a traditional lab that is typically done in Physics 103 courses dealing with the topics of electricity, and magnetism.

I'm afraid this is Physics Forum, not Psychic Hotline.

You have given us precious little information to work with. Clues like 'e/M' lab and 'Physics 103' may have some meaning to you, but they don't have any specific meaning to a group of people at large, I'm afraid. What may be Physics 103 at your school may be something else at another school.

What would be helpful would be if you would tell us the objective of the lab, the type of data you were supposed to collect, etc., etc. Labs usually are accompanied by a written procedure which the experimenter is supposed to follow. The procedure may even contain instructions on how to reduce and interpret the data collected. If you could post a copy of the procedure that would be a great help, along with any data you managed to collect.

Likes Mark44
As far as I knows the e/m lab is about using an electric and a magnetic field to bend a beam of electrons?
What data do you have?

SteamKing said:
I'm afraid this is Physics Forum, not Psychic Hotline.

You have given us precious little information to work with. Clues like 'e/M' lab and 'Physics 103' may have some meaning to you, but they don't have any specific meaning to a group of people at large, I'm afraid. What may be Physics 103 at your school may be something else at another school.

What would be helpful would be if you would tell us the objective of the lab, the type of data you were supposed to collect, etc., etc. Labs usually are accompanied by a written procedure which the experimenter is supposed to follow. The procedure may even contain instructions on how to reduce and interpret the data collected. If you could post a copy of the procedure that would be a great help, along with any data you managed to collect.

Alright, I will post this sheet, and then see where we can go from here.

Thank you.

Perhaps an e/m lab has something to do with e/m ? You've been at it for close to a week now, so -- being a university student -- you must have some inkling of what might be involved and what's expected of you. When I read your post #1 here, I wholeheartedly agree with the first line in post #2.

Even a primary schooler can google "e/m apparatus lab" and come up with the
The magnetic field (B) produced by the coils is proportional to the current through the coils (I) times 7.80 x 10-4tesla/ampere [B (tesla) = (7.80 x 10-4) I].
in your second thread (your equipment has 7.7 but never mind).

The operation instructions to actually do the experiment are spelled out there as well, so don't bother to post them. Do the work and if you get stuck you can ask on PF. Use the template as a literate person would.

BvU said:
Perhaps an e/m lab has something to do with e/m ? You've been at it for close to a week now, so -- being a university student -- you must have some inkling of what might be involved and what's expected of you. When I read your post #1 here, I wholeheartedly agree with the first line in post #2.

Even a primary schooler can google "e/m apparatus lab" and come up with the in your second thread (your equipment has 7.7 but never mind).

The operation instructions to actually do the experiment are spelled out there as well, so don't bother to post them. Do the work and if you get stuck you can ask on PF. Use the template as a literate person would.
Thanks for advice, but save the condescending attitude for yourself.

Other than that, thanks for posting.

Separate your emotions from physics.

Thank you;.

Welcome

Eddie10 said:
Thanks for advice, but save the condescending attitude for yourself.

Other than that, thanks for posting.

Separate your emotions from physics.
Some advice - dial back the attitude about five notches. You are in the wrong here. The expectation at Physics Forums is that people posting will provide enough details so that the helpers here can help them come up with an answer. The helpers and mentors here are entirely voluntary, and provide help for zero financial reward. If you pose a question here so vague and ill-defined, it shouldn't be a surprise that you got the responses that you did.

Related to Just had an "e/M" physics 103 lab. Not sure what I am supposed to do. Help.

1. What is an "e/M" physics 103 lab?

An "e/M" physics 103 lab is a laboratory experiment that focuses on measuring the ratio of the charge of an electron to its mass. This is commonly referred to as the "e/M" ratio and is an important concept in understanding the behavior of charged particles in electromagnetic fields.

2. What are the objectives of a "e/M" physics 103 lab?

The main objectives of an "e/M" physics 103 lab are to gain hands-on experience in conducting experiments, to apply concepts and theories learned in class to practical situations, and to develop critical thinking and problem-solving skills.

3. What should I expect during the "e/M" physics 103 lab?

During the "e/M" physics 103 lab, you can expect to work with various equipment such as a cathode ray tube, power supplies, and measuring instruments. You will also conduct experiments to measure the "e/M" ratio and analyze the data collected to draw conclusions.

4. How should I prepare for the "e/M" physics 103 lab?

To prepare for the "e/M" physics 103 lab, make sure you have a good understanding of the relevant concepts and theories, review the lab manual and instructions, and familiarize yourself with the equipment and procedures. It is also important to arrive on time and with a positive attitude.

5. What should I do if I am unsure about what to do during the "e/M" physics 103 lab?

If you are unsure about what to do during the "e/M" physics 103 lab, do not hesitate to ask your instructor or lab partner for clarification. It is important to fully understand the procedures and safety precautions before conducting any experiments.