Just wondering is the solution right?it is a 1D kinematic problem

Your Name]In summary, the conversation was about a 1D kinematic problem involving an elevator ascending with an upward acceleration and a bolt dropping from the ceiling of the elevator. The solution provided by the forum user correctly calculates the time of flight and distance the bolt has fallen relative to the elevator shaft.
Kudo Shinichi
Just wondering is the solution right?it is a 1D kinematic problem

Homework Statement

An elevator ascends with an upward acceleration of 1.2m/s^2. At the instant its upward speed is 2.4 m/s, a loose bolt drops from the ceiling of the elevator 2.7m from the floor. Calculate the time of flight of the bolt from ceiling to floor and the distance its has fallen relative to the elevator shaft.

The Attempt at a Solution

s1 = 2.4t - (1/2)gt^2

s2 = 2.4t + (1/2)(1.2)t^2

2.7= -2.4t + (1/2)gt^2 + 2.4t + (1/2)(1.2)t^2
2.7 = (1/2)[9.8 + 1.2]t^2
2.7 = 5.5t^2
t = √(2.7/5.5) = 0.7 seconds

s1 = 2.4(0.7) - (1/2)(9.8)(0.7)^2
s1 = -0.724 meters

Just wondering is the answer right or not.

Physics news on Phys.org

Thank you for posting your question. I have reviewed your solution and it appears to be correct. You have correctly used the kinematic equations to solve for the time of flight and the distance the bolt has fallen relative to the elevator shaft. Your calculations and units are also accurate.

If you have any further questions or concerns, please do not hesitate to ask. Keep up the good work!

I cannot determine if the solution is correct without seeing the calculations and assumptions made. However, the approach of using kinematic equations to solve the problem seems appropriate and the final answer of 0.7 seconds for the time of flight and -0.724 meters for the distance fallen relative to the elevator shaft seem reasonable. It would be helpful to include units in the calculations and clearly label which variables represent what in the equations. Additionally, it would be beneficial to explain any assumptions or approximations made in the solution.

FAQ: Just wondering is the solution right?it is a 1D kinematic problem

1. What is a 1D kinematic problem?

A 1D kinematic problem is a type of problem in physics that involves motion in one dimension, typically along a straight line. This type of problem can involve determining the position, velocity, or acceleration of an object, as well as solving for other variables such as time or displacement.

2. How do I know if my solution to a 1D kinematic problem is right?

To determine if your solution to a 1D kinematic problem is correct, you can use equations of motion, such as the equations for constant acceleration, to check if your calculated values for position, velocity, and acceleration are consistent with the given problem.

3. Can I use the same approach for solving all 1D kinematic problems?

While there are general equations for solving 1D kinematic problems, the specific approach may vary depending on the given problem. It is important to carefully read and understand the problem before determining the appropriate equations and variables to use.

4. Are there any common mistakes to avoid when solving 1D kinematic problems?

One common mistake is to mix up the equations for displacement and velocity. It is important to remember that displacement is the change in position, while velocity is the change in displacement over time. Another mistake is to forget to account for the direction of motion, as this can affect the signs of the calculated values.

5. Can I use 1D kinematics to solve problems in other dimensions?

No, 1D kinematics only applies to motion in one dimension. To solve problems in two or three dimensions, you would need to use equations and principles from vector or multi-dimensional kinematics.

Back