Justify each step using commutativity and associativity

• Thread starter happyprimate
  • Start date
In summary: I liked that you wrote ##a-b=a+(-b)## because that is what it is: an addition. There is no subtraction on this level. Subtraction is only an abbreviation, not an operation.Thank you for the feedback! I will keep that in mind for future summaries.
happyprimate
Summary:: Justify each step using commutativity and associativity in proving the following identities.
(a-b)+(c-d) = (a+c)+(-b-d)

Exercise 3 Chapter 1 Basic Mathematics Serge Lang

Verifying my answer.

My answer:

Let p = (a-b)+(c-d) We need to show that p = (a+c)+(-b-d)

(a-b)+(c-d)

a+(-b+(c-d)) Associativity

a+((-b+c)-d) Associativity

a+((c-b)-d) Commutativity

((a+c)-b)-d) Associativity

(a+c)+(-b-d) Associativity

Need feedback on the proof. I am currently working through basic mathematics book by Serge Lang. Thank you.

Likes Delta2
Physics news on Phys.org
happyprimate said:
Summary:: Justify each step using commutativity and associativity in proving the following identities.

Exercise 3 Chapter 1 Basic Mathematics Serge Lang

Verifying my answer.

My answer:

Let p = (a-b)+(c-d) We need to show that p = (a+c)+(-b-d)

(a-b)+(c-d)

a+(-b+(c-d)) Associativity

a+((-b+c)-d) Associativity

a+((c-b)-d) Commutativity

((a+c)-b)-d) Associativity

(a+c)+(-b-d) Associativity

Need feedback on the proof. I am currently working through basic mathematics book by Serge Lang. Thank you.
Looks good.

Likes happyprimate and jedishrfu
Thank you.

Likes jedishrfu
happyprimate said:
Thank you.
Only a remark to the presentation. It would be better to write it as equations:
\begin{align*}
(a-b)+(c-d) &\stackrel{Ass.}{=}a+(-b+(c-d)) \\
&\stackrel{Ass.}{=} a+((-b+c)-d) \\
&\stackrel{Com.}{=}a+((c-b)-d) \\
&\stackrel{Ass.}{=} ((a+c)-b)-d) \\
&\stackrel{Ass.}{=} (a+c)+(-b-d)
\end{align*}

I liked that you wrote ##a-b=a+(-b)## because that is what it is: an addition. There is no subtraction on this level. Subtraction is only an abbreviation, not an operation.

Likes jedishrfu and happyprimate
Thanks a lot fresh_42.
Question! I was trying to work through a few more identities where the solution wasn't provided. Should I post it in the same thread due to the same theme ie proving identities.

happyprimate said:
Thanks a lot fresh_42.
Question! I was trying to work through a few more identities where the solution wasn't provided. Should I post it in the same thread due to the same theme?
It's usually better to start a new one. I admit that this rule is not always followed, and we let it slip if the questions are closely related, but a new one is better in case a debate evolves. If the only answer is "this is correct" then it appears that it could well be treated in one thread. Start a new.

If you want a related problem then solve the following:
Show that the group axioms are equivalent to: "For all ##a,b \in G## there is a unique solution to ##a\cdot x=b ## and ##x\cdot a=b##." (non commutative case)

Likes happyprimate
My only objection is the 4th step is two sets of parentheses adjustments, so maybe should be written as two associativity steps. If you think doing it in one shot is fine, then you can condense the first and second step into one line also

Likes FactChecker and happyprimate
fresh_42 said:
It would be better to write it as equations:
Strongly agree...

Likes happyprimate

Related to Justify each step using commutativity and associativity

1. What is commutativity and how is it used to justify steps?

Commutativity is a property that states that the order of operands does not affect the result of an operation. In other words, if we switch the order of two operands, the result will remain the same. This property is used to justify steps by rearranging the order of operations in a problem to make it easier to solve or to show that two expressions are equivalent.

2. How does commutativity apply to addition and multiplication?

In addition, commutativity means that the order in which we add numbers does not affect the sum. For example, 2 + 3 is the same as 3 + 2. In multiplication, commutativity means that the order in which we multiply numbers does not affect the product. For instance, 2 x 3 is the same as 3 x 2.

3. What is associativity and how does it relate to commutativity?

Associativity is a property that states that the grouping of operands does not affect the result of an operation. In other words, if we change the grouping of operands, the result will remain the same. This property is closely related to commutativity, as it also involves rearranging the order of operations. However, associativity focuses on the grouping of operations, while commutativity focuses on the order of operands.

4. How can commutativity and associativity be used to simplify algebraic expressions?

By using commutativity and associativity, we can rearrange the order of operations and the grouping of operations in an algebraic expression to make it easier to solve. This can help us to simplify the expression and make it more manageable. Additionally, these properties can help us to show that two expressions are equivalent, which can be useful in solving equations and proving mathematical statements.

5. Can commutativity and associativity be applied to all mathematical operations?

Yes, commutativity and associativity can be applied to all mathematical operations that involve two or more operands. This includes addition, subtraction, multiplication, division, and even more complex operations such as exponents and logarithms. However, it is important to note that these properties may not always apply in certain situations, such as when dealing with matrices or other non-commutative operations.