Kahler potental terms linear in visible sector fields

In summary, the Kahler potential in visible sector fields is usually expanded without any linear terms in C^{\alpha}. This is because those fields have conserved charges that the hidden sector fields do not, making such terms forbidden. However, terms such as 1/S or 1/Re(S) may be allowed for certain hidden sector or string fields that do not have these conserved charges.
SUSY
Hello,

I have a question regarding the expansion of the Kahler potential in visible sector fields [itex] C^{\alpha} [/itex]:

It is usually said that the Kahler potential can be expanded as follows: [tex] K = K_{hid}(\phi,\phi^*) + K_{\bar{\alpha} \beta}(\phi,\phi^*) C^{*\bar{\alpha}} C^{\beta} + \frac{1}{2} (Z_{\alpha \beta}(\phi,\phi^*) C^{\alpha} C^{\beta} + h.c.) + ... [/tex]
where the [itex] \phi [/itex] are the hidden fields.

I was wondering why there are no terms linear in [itex] C^{\alpha} [/itex], i.e. why there are no terms
[tex] P_{\alpha}(\phi,\phi^*) C^{\alpha} + h.c. \subset K [/tex]

I always thought the Kahler potential should be assumed as general as possible and that would include such terms. Can someone tell me why they are usually assumed to be absent? Are there papers about that specific question that I could consult?

Thank you very much,
SUSYAs an edit:
One often finds terms such as [itex] \propto \frac{1}{S + S^*} [/itex] for some stringfield [itex] S [/itex]. Again, such terms are absent for the visible fields, i.e. there are no terms [itex] \propto \frac{1}{C^{\alpha} + C^{*\bar{\alpha}}} [/itex] and I can't seem to understand why that should be so...

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Let's recall that the visible sector contains those fields that are charged under a gauge group that contains the Standard Model interactions, while the hidden sector does not directly participate in the Standard Model interactions. The two sectors can interact together via gravity or perhaps some very high energy gauge interaction. This means that the visible sector fields have conserved charges that the hidden sector fields do not.

A term linear in a visible sector field will generally not conserve these charges, so such terms are forbidden. Some terms like the ##C^\alpha C^\beta## one that you wrote down could also be forbidden, but would be allowed if that particular field only had a ##\mathbb{Z}_2## charge. Similarly, a non-perturbative term like ##1/\mathrm{Re}(C^\alpha)## would also be forbidden. Some hidden sector or string fields (in particular the dilaton) might not have such conserved charges, so ##1/\mathrm{Re}(S)## could be allowed. A term proportional to ##C^\alpha C^{*\alpha}## would tend to be invariant under the SM charges, so can be generated perturbatively via any messenger interactions.

Related to Kahler potental terms linear in visible sector fields

1. What is a Kahler potential term linear in visible sector fields?

A Kahler potential term linear in visible sector fields is a mathematical expression used in theoretical physics to describe the behavior of scalar fields in particle physics models. This term appears in the supergravity action and is an important component in the construction of supersymmetric models.

2. How are Kahler potential terms linear in visible sector fields related to supersymmetry?

Kahler potential terms linear in visible sector fields play a crucial role in the construction of supersymmetric models. These terms are necessary for preserving supersymmetry, which is a symmetry between fermions and bosons, in particle physics theories. They are used to ensure that the vacuum state of the theory has zero energy, a key requirement for supersymmetric models.

3. What is the significance of the linearity in visible sector fields in Kahler potential terms?

The linearity in visible sector fields in Kahler potential terms is important because it allows for the mixing of visible sector fields with hidden sector fields. This mixing is necessary for the breaking of supersymmetry, which is a crucial step in constructing realistic particle physics models. The linearity also ensures that the vacuum state of the theory remains stable.

4. How do Kahler potential terms linear in visible sector fields affect the behavior of scalar fields?

Kahler potential terms linear in visible sector fields determine the potential energy of the scalar fields in a particle physics model. This potential energy is responsible for the dynamics of the scalar fields, including their interactions with other particles. The linearity in visible sector fields allows for the mixing of different types of scalar fields, which can lead to interesting and complex behavior.

5. Are there any experimental implications of Kahler potential terms linear in visible sector fields?

Yes, there can be experimental implications of Kahler potential terms linear in visible sector fields. These terms can affect the masses and interactions of particles in a model, and can potentially be tested through experiments at particle colliders. Studying these terms can also provide insights into the underlying structure of particle physics theories and the nature of supersymmetry.