Kaska's question at Yahoo Answers involving related rates

In summary, at the rate of 4080π(sec(0.0646)^2) the spot will move along the shoreline 11 feet from the shoreline point closest to the lighthouse.
MarkFL
Gold Member
MHB
Here is the question:

Calculus related rates question, Help please!?

A lighthouse is fixed 170 feet from a straight shoreline. A spotlight revolves at a rate of 12 revolutions per minute, (24 rad/min ), shining a spot along the shoreline as it spins. At what rate is the spot moving when it is along the shoreline 11 feet from the shoreline point closest to the lighthouse?

I got the answer: 4080π(sec(0.0646)^2) but it seems to be wrong, I don't understand what I am doing wrong, any help?

Here is a link to the question:

Calculus related rates question, Help please!? - Yahoo! Answers

I have posted a link there to this topic so the OP can find my response.

Mathematics news on Phys.org
Hello Kaska,

Let's generalize a bit and derive a formula we can then plug our data into.

The first thing I would do is draw a diagram:

View attachment 618

As we can see, we may state:

$\displaystyle \tan(\theta)=\frac{x}{y}$

Now, let's differentiate with respect to time $t$, bearing in mind that while $x$ is a function of $t$, $y$ is a constant.

$\displaystyle \sec^2(\theta)\cdot\frac{d\theta}{dt}=\frac{1}{y} \cdot\frac{dx}{dt}$

Since we are being asked to find the speed of the spot, whose position is $x$, we want to solve for $\dfrac{dx}{dt}$:

$\displaystyle \frac{dx}{dt}=y\sec^2(\theta) \cdot\frac{d\theta}{dt}$

Let's let the angular velocity be given by:

$\omega=\dfrac{d\theta}{dt}$

and from the diagram and the Pythagorean theorem, we find:

$\displaystyle \sec^2(\theta)=\frac{x^2+y^2}{y^2}$

Hence, we have:

$\displaystyle \frac{dx}{dt}=\frac{\omega}{y}(y^2+x^2)$

Now we may plug in the given data:

$\displaystyle \omega=24\pi\frac{1}{\text{min}},\,y=170\text{ ft},\,x=11\text{ ft}$

$\displaystyle \frac{dx}{dt}=\frac{24\pi}{170}(170^2+11^2)\,\frac{\text{ft}}{\text{min}}=\frac{348252\pi}{85}\, \frac{\text{ft}}{\text{min}}$

This is equivalent to the answer you obtained (accounting for rounding), however we have done away with the need to use a trig. function.

Attachments

• kaska.jpg
    kaska.jpg
    2.4 KB · Views: 97

FAQ: Kaska's question at Yahoo Answers involving related rates

1. What are related rates in calculus?

Related rates refer to the concept in calculus where the rate of change of one quantity is related to the rate of change of another quantity. This concept is often used to solve problems involving rates of change in real-world scenarios.

2. How do you solve related rates problems?

To solve related rates problems, you need to identify the rates of change of the quantities involved, set up an equation that relates these rates, and then differentiate the equation with respect to time. Finally, substitute the given values and solve for the unknown rate of change.

3. What is the formula for related rates?

The formula for related rates depends on the specific problem being solved. It is typically derived by setting up an equation that relates the rates of change of the quantities involved and then differentiating it with respect to time.

4. Can you give an example of a related rates problem?

Sure, an example of a related rates problem could be: A hot air balloon is rising at a rate of 5 meters per second. At the same time, a person on the ground is walking away from the balloon at a rate of 3 meters per second. How fast is the distance between the person and the balloon increasing when the person is 20 meters away from the balloon?

5. How does related rates relate to real-life situations?

Related rates are often used to model real-life situations where quantities are changing over time. For example, it can be used to calculate the speed of a car, the rate of change of the surface area of a melting ice cube, or the rate of change of the height of a tree growing.

Back