Katie's question at Yahoo Answers regarding summations

• MHB
  • Thread starter MarkFL
  • Start date
In summary, the sums of the given sigma notations can be found using the formulas (1)-(5) and the linearity properties of sums. Alternatively, we can treat the sums as linear inhomogeneous difference equations and use the method of undetermined coefficients to find the general solutions. By substituting the given values for the parameters, we obtain the specific solutions for the two given sums.
MarkFL
Gold Member
MHB
Here are the questions:

Find the value of the sum of a sigma notation?

n
∑ (i+1)(2i+1)
i=1

and

n
∑(1+3i)^2
i=1

Cant figure these out, could someone show me how to do them step by step?

I have posted a link there to this thread so the OP can view my work.

Mathematics news on Phys.org
Hello Katie,

One way we could find these sums is the expand the summands, and then rely on the following formulas:

(1) \(\displaystyle \sum_{k=1}^{n}(1)=n\)

(2) \(\displaystyle \sum_{k=1}^{n}(k)=\frac{n(n+1)}{2}\)

(3) \(\displaystyle \sum_{k=1}^{n}\left(k^2 \right)=\frac{n(n+1)(2n+1)}{6}\)

Also, we will use the following linearity properties of sums:

(4) \(\displaystyle \sum_{k=k_i}^{k_f}\left(a\cdot f(k) \right)=a\cdot\sum_{k=k_i}^{k_f}\left(f(k) \right)\)

(5) \(\displaystyle \sum_{k=k_i}^{k_f}\left(f(k)\pm g(k) \right)=\sum_{k=k_i}^{k_f}\left(f(k) \right)\pm\sum_{k=k_i}^{k_f}\left(g(k) \right)\)

Now, the first sum can be expanded as follows:

\(\displaystyle \sum_{k=1}^{n}\left((k+1)(2k+1) \right)=\sum_{k=1}^{n}\left(2k^2+3k+1 \right)\)

Using (5), we may write:

\(\displaystyle \sum_{k=1}^{n}\left((k+1)(2k+1) \right)=\sum_{k=1}^{n}\left(2k^2 \right)+\sum_{k=1}^{n}(3k)+\sum_{k=1}^{n}(1)\)

Using (4), we may write:

\(\displaystyle \sum_{k=1}^{n}\left((k+1)(2k+1) \right)=2\sum_{k=1}^{n}\left(k^2 \right)+3\sum_{k=1}^{n}(k)+\sum_{k=1}^{n}(1)\)

Using (1)-(3), we may write:

\(\displaystyle \sum_{k=1}^{n}\left((k+1)(2k+1) \right)=2\left(\frac{n(n+1)(2n+1)}{6} \right)+3\left(\frac{n(n+1)}{2} \right)+(n)\)

Combine terms:

\(\displaystyle \sum_{k=1}^{n}\left((k+1)(2k+1) \right)=\frac{2n(n+1)(2n+1)+9n(n+1)+6n}{6}\)

Factor numerator:

\(\displaystyle \sum_{k=1}^{n}\left((k+1)(2k+1) \right)=\frac{n\left(2(n+1)(2n+1)+9(n+1)+6 \right)}{6}\)

Expand within second factor of numerator:

\(\displaystyle \sum_{k=1}^{n}\left((k+1)(2k+1) \right)=\frac{n\left(4n^2+6n+2+9n+9+6 \right)}{6}\)

Collect like terms:

\(\displaystyle \sum_{k=1}^{n}\left((k+1)(2k+1) \right)=\frac{n\left(4n^2+15n+17 \right)}{6}\)

Now for the second sum (and following the same steps as for the first sum):

\(\displaystyle \sum_{k=1}^{n}\left((3k+1)^2 \right)=9\sum_{k=1}^{n}\left(k^2 \right)+6\sum_{k=1}^{n}(k)+\sum_{k=1}^{n}(1)\)

\(\displaystyle \sum_{k=1}^{n}\left((3k+1)^2 \right)=9\left(\frac{n(n+1)(2n+1)}{6} \right)+6\left(\frac{n(n+1)}{2} \right)+(n)\)

\(\displaystyle \sum_{k=1}^{n}\left((3k+1)^2 \right)=\frac{3n(n+1)(2n+1)+6n(n+1)+2n}{2}\)

\(\displaystyle \sum_{k=1}^{n}\left((3k+1)^2 \right)=\frac{n\left(6n^2+9n+3+6n+6+2 \right)}{2}\)

\(\displaystyle \sum_{k=1}^{n}\left((3k+1)^2 \right)=\frac{n\left(6n^2+15n+11 \right)}{2}\)

Another way we could find these sums is to treat them as linear inhomogenous difference equations:

\(\displaystyle S_{n}-S_{n-1}=an^2+bn+c\) where \(\displaystyle S_1=a+b+c\)

Now, observing that the corresponding homogeneous equation has the characteristic root $r=1$, we know the homogenous solution is:

\(\displaystyle h_n=c_1\)

And bearing in mind that none of the terms in the particular solution can be a solution to the homogenous equation, we then take for the particular solution the form:

\(\displaystyle p_n=An^3+Bn^2+Cn\)

Now we may use the method of undetermined coefficients to determing the values of the parameters $A,B,C$.

Substituting the particular solution into the difference equation, we obtain:

\(\displaystyle \left(An^3+Bn^2+Cn \right)-\left(A(n-1)^3+B(n-1)^2+C(n-1) \right)=an^2+bn+c\)

Expanding and collecting like terms, we get

\(\displaystyle 3An^2+(-3A+2B)n+(A-B+C)=an^2+bn+c\)

Equating like coefficients, we obtain the linear system:

\(\displaystyle 3A=a\implies A=\frac{a}{3}\)

\(\displaystyle -3A+2B=b\implies B=\frac{a+b}{2}\)

\(\displaystyle A-B+C=c\implies C=\frac{a+3b+6c}{6}\)

And so our particular solution is:

\(\displaystyle p_n=\frac{a}{3}n^3+\frac{a+b}{2}n^2+\frac{a+3b+6c}{6}n\)

Combining terms, we obtain:

\(\displaystyle p_n=\frac{n\left(2an^2+3(a+b)n+(a+3b+6c) \right)}{6}\)

Thus, by the principle of superposition, we find the general solution is:

\(\displaystyle S_n=h_n+p_n=c_1+\frac{n\left(2an^2+3(a+b)n+(a+3b+6c) \right)}{6}\)

Now, using the initial value, we may determine the parameter $c_1$:

\(\displaystyle S_1=c_1+\frac{2a+3(a+b)+(a+3b+6c)}{6}=a+b+c\)

\(\displaystyle c_1=a+b+c-\frac{6a+6b+6c}{6}=0\)

Thus, the general solution satisfying the given conditions is:

\(\displaystyle S_n=\frac{n\left(2an^2+3(a+b)n+(a+3b+6c) \right)}{6}\)

Now, for the first problem, we identify:

\(\displaystyle a=2,\,b=3,\,c=1\)

Hence:

\(\displaystyle S_n=\frac{n\left(4n^2+15n+17 \right)}{6}\)

And for the second problem, we identify:

\(\displaystyle a=9,\,b=6,\,c=1\)

Hence:

\(\displaystyle S_n=\frac{n\left(18n^2+45n+33 \right)}{6}=\frac{n\left(6n^2+15n+11 \right)}{2}\)

Related to Katie's question at Yahoo Answers regarding summations

1. What is a summation?

A summation is a mathematical operation that adds together a sequence of numbers or terms. It is represented by the symbol Σ (sigma).

2. How do you solve a summation?

To solve a summation, you need to first determine the pattern of numbers or terms being added. Then, plug in the values into the formula Σ (starting value, ending value, sequence) and simplify the expression.

3. What is the purpose of a summation in mathematics?

Summations are used to calculate the total value of a sequence of numbers or terms. They are commonly used in calculus, statistics, and other branches of mathematics to find the sum of infinite or finite series. They are also used to represent discrete data in a concise way.

4. Can you give an example of a summation in real life?

A common example of a summation in real life is calculating the total cost of items in a shopping cart. Each item has a price, and by adding all the prices together, you can find the total cost of the items in the cart.

5. What are some common properties of summations?

Some common properties of summations include the commutative property (changing the order of the terms does not affect the result), the distributive property (being able to multiply a constant to each term inside the summation), and the associative property (being able to group terms in different ways without changing the result).