Keen amateur scientist, engineer by trade

• Thread starter CambridgeMart
  • Start date
In summary, a keen amateur scientist is someone who has a strong interest and passion for science, but does not have formal training or education in the field. Being an engineer by trade can relate to being a scientist because it requires problem-solving and critical thinking skills, and engineers also use the scientific method. A keen amateur scientist can make significant contributions to the scientific community, as many famous scientists started as amateurs. Some examples of projects that a keen amateur scientist can undertake include conducting experiments, participating in citizen science projects, and attending conferences. It is not necessary to have a formal education in science to be a keen amateur scientist, as anyone with a curious and inquisitive mind can engage in scientific activities and contribute to the field.
CambridgeMart
How did you find PF?
Via Google search for vacuum system forums
My degree was in electrical and electronic engineering, so I do a lot of electronic projects. I'm also very interested in lasers, and have a decent collection. I'm now venturing into experiments using high vacuums and high voltages.

Likes berkeman
Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF. We're glad to have you.

Welcome to the PF. :smile:

CambridgeMart said:
How did you find PF?: Via Google search for vacuum system forums

I'm now venturing into experiments using high vacuums and high voltages
Just remember to use your PPE when conducting those experiments... :smile:

https://gingerfilmreviews.weebly.com/uploads/1/1/7/8/11786608/1041690_orig.jpg

1582940562859.png

Likes CambridgeMart
Welcome, cambridgemart!
Interesting field.

Thank you! I'm still learning about high vacuum stuff, so I have a few questions about pumps, etc.

Depending on your project, post your questions on this in a thread in the Classical Phyciscs or ME or DIY forums. You should get very good help on your project. Have fun and please be safe.

FAQ: Keen amateur scientist, engineer by trade

1. What is a keen amateur scientist?

A keen amateur scientist is someone who has a strong interest and passion for science, but does not have formal training or education in the field. They conduct scientific experiments and research as a hobby or for personal interest.

2. How does being an engineer by trade relate to being a scientist?

Being an engineer by trade means that the person has a background in problem-solving and critical thinking, which are important skills for a scientist. Engineers also use the scientific method in their work, making the transition to amateur science easier.

3. Can a keen amateur scientist make significant contributions to the scientific community?

Yes, a keen amateur scientist can make significant contributions to the scientific community. Many famous scientists, such as Charles Darwin and Gregor Mendel, started as amateur scientists and made groundbreaking discoveries.

4. What are some examples of projects that a keen amateur scientist can undertake?

A keen amateur scientist can undertake a wide range of projects, such as conducting experiments at home, participating in citizen science projects, or building and programming their own scientific equipment. They can also attend conferences, join science clubs or societies, and collaborate with other scientists.

5. Is it necessary to have a formal education in science to be a keen amateur scientist?

No, it is not necessary to have a formal education in science to be a keen amateur scientist. While a formal education can provide a strong foundation, anyone with a curious and inquisitive mind can engage in scientific activities and contribute to the field.

Back