Keep mass vertically still using friction

In summary, friction is a force that opposes motion between two surfaces in contact, caused by microscopic irregularities. It can be used to keep a mass vertically still by providing a force in the opposite direction, known as static friction. The amount of friction depends on material types, force applied, and surface roughness. Friction cannot be completely eliminated, but can be reduced using lubricants or smoother surfaces. However, using friction to keep a mass still can cause wear and tear on surfaces and require a constant force to maintain, leading to potential damage over time.
knc
A mass m1 is on a frictionless surface. To its right is a second mass m2 not touching the ground, but in the air. An applied force is applied towards the right of both masses. What is the minimum force needed so that the second object JUST starts to slip downwards?

http://i.stack.imgur.com/gQNg8.jpg

I have no idea where to start... I know I need to find the normal force but I have no acceleration.

Physics news on Phys.org
Write an expression for the acceleration in terms of other parameters.

Related to Keep mass vertically still using friction

What is friction?

Friction is a force that opposes motion between two surfaces in contact. It is caused by microscopic irregularities on the surfaces of objects.

How does friction affect keeping mass vertically still?

Friction can be used to keep a mass vertically still by providing a force in the opposite direction to the force applied to the mass. This is known as static friction and it prevents the mass from sliding down.

What factors affect the amount of friction?

The amount of friction between two surfaces depends on the types of materials, the force pressing the surfaces together, and the roughness of the surfaces.

Can friction ever be completely eliminated?

No, friction cannot be completely eliminated. It is a fundamental force of nature and is always present to some degree. However, it can be reduced by using lubricants or smoother surfaces.

Are there any negative effects of using friction to keep a mass vertically still?

Using friction to keep a mass vertically still can cause wear and tear on the surfaces in contact, leading to loss of energy and potential damage over time. It also requires a constant force to maintain the mass's position, which can be taxing on the person or object providing the force.